The Student Room Group

Fashion Design Portfolio-HELP!

Hey

I've just been to an open day at bath spa uni for fashion design. The talk was really helpful and to me it sounded like I was an ideal candidate for the course-I've an apprenticeship in tailoring and I can cut patterns and I have good designs.

However, when I talked to the tutor afterwards, she told me that I'd need to forget everything I've been taught for my apprenticeship (I work with a lady who is a fully qualified tailoress who has owned her own company for at least 4 yrs) and that my portfolio was completely wrong.

She told me I had far too much writing (which I can see), but when I looked at the example portfolios of previous students, it was just basically drawings and that was it. No notes or comments about style or why decisions for designs had been made, just drawings.

It might be just me, but I can't see how you can have a decent portfolio without saying where your inspiration came from, what materials you would use, what the pattern would look like, etc.

Please can tell me where I'm going wrong!!??

Thanks
I don't really know much about it but they probably want to make sure you can draw and then perhaps discuss inspiration and materials etc at interview?

Latest