The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cuche
Can anyone explain baseband to me? thanks :biggrin:

My textbook says: A system that uses a single data channel in which the whole bandwidth of the transmission medium is dedicated to one data channel at a time.

My understanding is that the bandwidth is given to one host at a time, so only one host can send something at a time as opposed to broadband which can carry several data streams at once
Beckyweck
Shocking I know!! Girls these days eh? Dropping Home Economics for Computing :P

And @Neo that sucks :/ I think I still have a copy of the AS textbook somewhere... Can I find it? Can I hell!

I bought both AS and A2 textbooks from Amazon myself, I've referred to the AS a couple of times tonight while revising.

cuche
Can anyone explain baseband to me? thanks :biggrin:

Baseband by definition is:
A system that uses a single data channel system in which the whole bandwidth of the transmission medium is dedicated to one data channel at a time.

This means that only one station in the network can send data at any one time.
Reply 42
Beckyweck
My textbook says: A system that uses a single data channel in which the whole bandwidth of the transmission medium is dedicated to one data channel at a time.

My understanding is that the bandwidth is given to one host at a time, so only one host can send something at a time as opposed to broadband which can carry several data streams at once

So what is the point of baseband if there are, say 10 computers which are virtual machines accessing, lets say a program - wouldn't this mean only one computer can access it at a time? Or do I misunderstand? Whats the purpose of it?
Reply 43
Anyone fancy having a crack at explaining reverse polish notation?... I'm still clueless :frown: read the book and searched the internet.
Reply 44
My offer for university specifies maths, further maths and physics, and for this I am glad.
They are used over short distances, like LANs where they offer high performance and low cost
Edderick
It's 562*+.

Work from left to right using BI DM AS, but note Brackets and Indecies have the same priority, etc.

As a way to check the numbers have to appear in the same order as they do in the infix.

e.g.
7*5+4-(6*7)/(5+6)^2

Brackets and indices
7*5+4- 67* / (5+6)^2
7*5+4- 67* / (56+)^2
7*5+4- 67* / 56+2^

Division and multiplication
75* + 4 - 67* / 56+2^
75* + 4 - 67* 56+2^/

Addition and subtraction
75*4+ - 67*56+2^/
75*4+6756+2^/-

I hope that is right :s-smilie: and I hope it helps..

Thnx for this, :smile:
how would we do x + y ^ 2 in rpn

if we use bidmas we should get xy2^+ shudnt we but the answer is xy+2^
cuche
So what is the point of baseband if there are, say 10 computers which are virtual machines accessing, lets say a program - wouldn't this mean only one computer can access it at a time? Or do I misunderstand? Whats the purpose of it?

It's cheap and fast performance, the transition is temporary so it doesn't hog the entire connection.

Running 10 thin clients on a baseband network would be a schoolboy error.

Bradezz
Anyone fancy having a crack at explaining reverse polish notation?... I'm still clueless :frown: read the book and searched the internet.

There's a little on the last page that I explained, if you need any more help just let me know more specifically.

alithegreat

By my working out RPN x + y ^ 2 will be xy2^+
As (x + y)^2 doesn't equal x + (y^2).
Reply 48
Bradezz

Hey!

It's simple, an operator goes after two digits! thats all really :smile:

so

3 + 4 ..... 34+

3 + 5 + 6 = 35+6+ (so imagine that 35+ is being executed first, then this value is being added to the 6)

BUT, remember:

3 + 4 * 6 ... 46*3+ (because the times has to be done first)

Helps?
Reply 49
alithegreat

I think the answer is xy2^+ ... xy+2^ would be (x+y)^2
Reply 50
ExcessNeo
It's cheap and fast performance, the transition is temporary so it doesn't hog the entire connection.

Running 10 thin clients on a baseband network would be a schoolboy error.

There's a little on the last page that I explained, if you need any more help just let me know more specifically.

By my working out RPN x + y ^ 2 will be xy2^+
As (x + y)^2 doesn't equal x + (y^2).

so whats thin client and virtual machine :confused:
Reply 51
I really hate these longer questions that get you to describe things :/ Loving the other questions though..
cuche
so whats thin client and virtual machine :confused:

A thin client is a dumb client that doesn't handle any processing itself, all processing is handled by the server.

A virtual machine is an operating system that is operated using software. So for example on my Windows 7 desktop PC I have a virtual machine player that lets me operate another operating system as a fictitious computer which I can interact with as if it is a physical device on my network.

Virtual machines tend to be operated in the style of remote desktop.
Reply 53
ExcessNeo
A thin client is a dumb client that doesn't handle any processing itself, all processing is handled by the server.

A virtual machine is an operating system that is operated using software. So for example on my Windows 7 desktop PC I have a virtual machine player that lets me operate another operating system as a fictitious computer which I can interact with as if it is a physical device on my network.

Virtual machines tend to be operated in the style of remote desktop.

Thanks! has helped lots .,.. more questions coming soon i guess :rolleyes:
Reply 54
Hey guys, just wondering is it ok to revise on the morning of exam? I've already done loads of revision and I'm worried it will push it out of my brain ^^
Ozzieing
Hey guys, just wondering is it ok to revise on the morning of exam? I've already done loads of revision and I'm worried it will push it out of my brain ^^

Yea, I'm personally going to drill in definitions to my brain tomorrow. Maybe do a little revision of algorithms, and a few other small bits.

cuche
Thanks! has helped lots .,.. more questions coming soon i guess :rolleyes:

It's all helpful revision for me answering questions :tongue:
You can be damn sure I will be! It depends if it works for you. There's no rule that says NO YOU MUST NOT REVISE THE MORNING BEFORE THE EXAM so just do whatever the hell you want :P
Reply 57
The AQA text book, doesn't like the real world definition of Virtual Machine :/
Beckyweck
You can be damn sure I will be! It depends if it works for you. There's no rule that says NO YOU MUST NOT REVISE THE MORNING BEFORE THE EXAM so just do whatever the hell you want :P

I was doing some C2 maths revision the morning of my retake and it was a morning exam :biggrin:

Edderick
The AQA text book, doesn't like the real world definition of Virtual Machine :/

Yea, I personally would try to remember the AQA version, not all exams are accurate for example for my Physics exam I have to lie and say the Universe is not expanding at an increasing rate because the exam board isn't upto date...
Reply 59
I'm gonna do so badly on this exam... I've been revising for the past 2 days straight as well as C4 Maths, nothing seems to make sense :|. The specimen paper is horrible.

Do you reckon the exam tomorrow will be easier than the specimen?

Latest

Trending

Trending