The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
i'm on orange and its AWFUL. I don't have any signal in my own bedroom!! i have to go to my living room / hallway to send a txt, or even recieve one! And then at college, i have trouble with signal too :/
Vodafones great (Y)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I've never had any issues with Vodafone, though I know people who have.
Reply 3
Tmobile is good and 3 is meant to have best coverage.
Reply 4
3 is AWFUL!!! every other day, they have 'tech issue' or 'fixing the network'. AVOID them!
3 are not awful in St Andrews. They were working on the network last week and let me know by text 2 days in advance that there might be coverage issues. And that's the only time I've not had service in the 18 months I've been with them.

You will struggle to get signal on many of the networks inside university buildings (especially DRA and New Hall) because of the way they are designed. Orange and O2 are the best for being able to get signal in the bad areas though.

I've found coverage with 3 to be great- 3G and HSDPA in most areas. I've also had a Virgin(T-mobile) phone, and while the coverage wasn't as good as with it was perfectly adequate.
Reply 6
When I visited, I could make and receive texts inside university buildings (something I wasn't thankful for when my phone went off inside a lecture hall), and I'm on Vodafone.
Reply 7
Just for reference, T-Mobile and Orange have merged so either will have the best coverage in the UK.
Reply 8
MikeL230
Just for reference, T-Mobile and Orange have merged so either will have the best coverage in the UK.

Their networks haven't merged yet though...

Awesome, thanks everyone! I was looking towards 3, so it looks like I may go with them. Also, the reason O2 have good signal for students is because it's their mast on top of the Purdie. It's a shame I have to leave them, but I can just get better deals with others (I need more than 500MB included :P )
Reply 9
It depends where you are.

O2 are really good I think.

In my house, Orange works but Vodafone doesn't - my boyfriend has to go outside to make a phone call.

Latest

Trending

Trending