The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G543

First off, sorry for being one of many threads about this exam!!
I really need some exam tips because my teacher is really bad and has confused everyone so much.

One second she's saying to only write about the study in 'a' if it says to describe the research, then she's saying always describe the research.Then she says only write about relevant things to the question, THEN she shows us a 10 mark question that doesn't refer to the question at all apart from in one sentence, and it just describes the research, statistics and all. So yeah I'm quite confused :o:
Reply 1
Thats pretty much all you can do. For example if the question is 'Describe two explanations as to why people turn to crime' (10).. you would simply give brief summaries of two studies e.g. Farrington (upbringing) and Brunner (genes). Just always remember to refer back to the question and use the same wording. So you would say - 'One explanation as to why people turn to crime is the way in which they are brought up' to start the question and after you have summarised the study, remember to explain WHY the psychologists believe that is the reason. For example, Farrington suggests that there are a number of risk factors within certain families which may cause children to turn to crime.

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
On the other hand, if it says to explain/describe a theory, or anything like a theory you'll need to describe the theory... give examples (put it into context), and then maybe give a tiny summary of the corresponding study (e.g. <name>'s research supports this, it showed that <blah> had a significant effect on <blah>)
j.whitelaw
Thats pretty much all you can do. For example if the question is 'Describe two explanations as to why people turn to crime' (10).. you would simply give brief summaries of two studies e.g. Farrington (upbringing) and Brunner (genes). Just always remember to refer back to the question and use the same wording. So you would say - 'One explanation as to why people turn to crime is the way in which they are brought up' to start the question and after you have summarised the study, remember to explain WHY the psychologists believe that is the reason. For example, Farrington suggests that there are a number of risk factors within certain families which may cause children to turn to crime.

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:

This is what we were told too. I have the misfortune of re-sitting this exam because OCR VERY harshly marked me (as in, whoever marked it was obviously not a Psych teacher and penalised me for things neither me or any of the staff at my college could understand :frown:) so I was actually two grades under what I should have been (A*) :/ I haven't even started revision yet, I'm figuring cramming tonight and tomorrow might be enough because I can remember the health side, just not so much the forensic side.

Only really go in-depth with a study if it asks for evidence. The question will literally be (or was in Jan) "Describe one piece of evidence that suggests work as a cause of stress" obviously being Johansson (was a perfect question imo, that study is engraved in my brain haha).

The important thing to do is to, as whitelaw said, is to not link the study in till about 3 lines in. You wanna open with a line such as the one given previously about explanation of turning to crime being upbringing and give an aspect of upbringing as an example such as disadvantaged neighbourhoods. From here, you'd introduce the PADS study ("A study by Peterborough whatever else it was haha" has shown this to be a potential explanation of upbringing as its results showed that...") and etc. We were told to write the study as you would if you were explaining to a mate down the pub haha :biggrin: so if you forget how many participants were in a study, it's not gonna matter too much :smile:

And with your part b evaluation, ALWAYS give a defintion of the issue you're explaining such as reductionism :biggrin:

Right, I'm off to cramalam after writing that out!
Reply 4
I am so freaking out about this exam, I find it almost impossible to revise for, and I can't help but feel my exam skill is awful. how is everyone learning the content can I ask? I'm predicted an A* but I can't see that happening now. anyone else feeling like this, or is it just me failing on my own?:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending