The Student Room Group

Any help with A-level options would be appreciated.

Okay, well i've nearly finished my GCSE examinations and i've gone into a bit of a panic. I feel like I should have my whole life planned out infront of me, with secure 6th form options and an a solid career path. I have neither.
My options for 6th form so far:
Maths
History
Physics
Business Studies

Well, I know the first three are going to be extremely difficult, and I just don't know if I am going to be able to cope. The only thing that keeps me positive is knowing that I will probably achieve decent GCSE grades with not a substantial, but reasonable amount of revision. I fear that Maths and History are going to be too much together, and after reading this forum, have seen that physics at a-level is actually a really difficult subject to take.

What I think/hope I will get:
Maths A* (more than likely)
English Language A/B
English Lit A/B
ICT A
History A*/A
R.E (shortcourse) A*
DT Graphics C
Art A
Citizenship A
Science - B for year 10 grade (Didnt learn anything, last minute revision).. Year 11 Chemistry A*, Physics A, Biology A...

I'm not the bee's knees at Mathematics, so I know i'm going to have to work really hard at it. I feel happy with what i've done for History so far, but I don't know whether it will take too much of my time at A-level and make me not get my top grades for the other subjects.
I am considering swapping History for ICT... I'm not sure how hard that is at A-level; at GCSE the teacher basically done all the ICT work for us.

Concerning Physics, I had an awful teacher who was away a lot, and basically just read the BBC bitesize syllabus over and over, doing some past papers to achieve my grade, i've got quite a good memory so that seved well; theres barely any formulas that you have to remember aswell, so I got the A easily. However I know A-level will be sooooo much more confusing...
I just want to know how time consuming each subject is compared to the others, and other tips and things about the subjects.

The career i originally wanted to take, was that of an architect. When my parents told me about it, the great money they get it sounded like a winner. It included my artistic and mathematic side. However I the found out you had to do around 8 years at uni, and that put me off. That and I failed DT Graphics, and Art would be too time consuming.

Any help and advice would be appreciated, Thank you.
if you have the option to take economics, i'd take that instead of business studies. i know i would have given the chance :frown:
maybe biology or chemistry instead of business studies? then if you suddenly go WHOA WANNA BE A DOCTOR/DENTIST/VET your a-levels won't hold you back. History and physics/maths is a good combo cos history's all about forming coherent arguments, maths is about numerical skills and physics is... dunno didn't take it but VERY respected.

But your choice opens manymanymany careers up for you, so don't worry :smile: and chillax, you don't have to decide anything yet. You might even change your mind in uni, it's no biggie, just go with it xx
Do what subjects you enjoy; don't think about a career path now, I had no idea at your stage either.

Maths is always a great subject; go for it!

History is a very well-regarded subject and already you're onto a winner with a science and arts subject.

Physics is very difficult... have you considered Chemistry instead? Seems like you're more confident with that anyway, given your grade. Either is a great, strong choice.

Your 4th doesn't matter considering you have 3 very well-regarded subjects. Business would be an alright choice, balancing out the sciences and arts to leave you wide open for whatever path you decide later on. Despite what you might hear, R.S. is a well-regarded subject too so you could consider that.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
8 years of uni? What? :l
Are you sure that's true? I thought it was just a 3/4 year course like any other...

And if you really do want to do architecture, then take fine art and drop business studies.

People are going to post here and say that business studies is a doss by the way. They'll likely tell you to consider economics instead.
ICT is probably just as respected as business studies really.

I think maths, physics, history and art is a great combo really, and would set you up nicely for a degree in architecture, as well as many other things. You have maths, a science, an essay (and source based!) subject, and a creative subject.

Physics is not too difficult. There is a lot of knowledge needed, but NO formulas need to be remember. They are all on the data sheet in some form or other. Actually, maybe there are some you need to know, but if there are then they're really easy to remember, because I can't even remember having to learn them.
There's little volume of work, but it does require a lot of understanding.

Maths is a jump from GCSE, but that shouldn't be too hard either. Just make sure you don't leave it until the end or you'll find that you have too much to practice, because maths really does require some practice.

That's all the advice I have really... I don't do history, nor do I do business studies or ICT, so don't take my word for any of them.

You have a nice set of GCSEs, so you will handle 4 AS levels fine.
Take Economics instead of Business Studies if you can. Don't worry too much about struggling, see how they go and you can change within the first few weeks. Most people struggle with the gap from GCSE to A-Level.
Your in the same situation I was one year ago.
I was not the bees knees =) at maths either I got mid A at GSCE, A-level is not much harder to be honest I actually find it easier in some ways, as long as you put effort in you will be fine.
Instead of business i would go for economics its more respected and very very easy.
If you fear physics go for biology or chemistry - I know physics has more relevance to architecture but any science shows your smart besides an A in chemistry is better than a D in physics.

So overall go for Maths, History, Chemistry/Biology and Economics
Reply 7
Prepare-Yourself
Your in the same situation I was one year ago.
I was not the bees knees =) at maths either I got mid A at GSCE, A-level is not much harder to be honest I actually find it easier in some ways, as long as you put effort in you will be fine.
Instead of business i would go for economics its more respected and very very easy.
If you fear physics go for biology or chemistry - I know physics has more relevance to architecture but any science shows your smart besides an A in chemistry is better than a D in physics.

So overall go for Maths, History, Chemistry/Biology and Economics

Thank you for your reply! I am not really a hands on person, so what i interpret chemistry would do for me, is a career as a doctor, vet... (Or am i just being naive; more than likely!) Thats why I chose physics, that and my second career option of a civil engineer.

To the others who replied, thank you for your advice.
Taking economics instead of business studies sounds like a good idea!

Another reason for being a bit nervous about science related a-levels, is because i didn't do triple science.

I think i'm going to keep maths and physics, they will lend well to eachothet afaik. However I will maybe replace History, as it seems pointless because it's unlikely i'll persue a career in it?
123jordan123

Another reason for being a bit nervous about science related a-levels, is because i didn't do triple science.

I think i'm going to keep maths and physics, they will lend well to eachothet afaik. However I will maybe replace History, as it seems pointless because it's unlikely i'll persue a career in it?

Do you enjoy History? If so, do it. Don't think about your career just yet otherwise your head will just blow up into a million pieces because there are so many paths you can take! Study the subjects you enjoy and this will lend you into a degree you're going to enjoy. I tried to kid myself I wanted to be a Forensic Scientist and thus took Chemistry and I absolutely hate it. At the end of the day, I'm not really into scientific ideas and I can't contribute my own opinions to current scientific issues. However, I can contribute my own ideas and experiences to History and English Lit/Lang. Study is all about developing as a person and developing independently so you need to choose the subjects which allow you to do this. After all employers seek people who can think by themselves and offer something new and fresh.

I didn't do triple science either so don't fret; they're relatively easy! :smile:

Plus, unless your certain you want to go into medicine or vet med or dentistry or what have you.. I wouldn't go ahead and take three sciences. If you're still unsure it's good to have a range! Even if you decide later down the line you do in fact want to do medicine and have taken the wrong subjects, there are special access schemes which allow you to gain entry despite this factor, you just have to do an additional year.

Definitely Economics instead of BS though. :smile:
Reply 9
123jordan123

Not doing triple science isn't an issue. I do A Levels at a school where they all did Triple, whereas I did double and it has not put me at a disadvantage at all.

Most of my friends who do physics and maths can do one but not the other- which would imply that they don't lend well to each other, but having not done either subject I can't really comment.

Do the subjects you enjoy, not the ones that will help your career options. by having a mix of subjects you are keeping your options open anyway.
Reply 10
Ahh, these decisions are so hard to make, as I know they likely to lead me either way, a good career after achieving good grades in well respected subjects; or completely the opposite, my whole 6th form being pointless as I fail the subjects.

I do enjoy History, but won't if it starts being too much of a burden :yep:

I wish i could see into the future, and see how well I will do with each subjects, now that would be easier decisions :woo: :p:
123jordan123
Thank you for your reply! I am not really a hands on person, so what i interpret chemistry would do for me, is a career as a doctor, vet... (Or am i just being naive; more than likely!) Thats why I chose physics, that and my second career option of a civil engineer.

To the others who replied, thank you for your advice.
Taking economics instead of business studies sounds like a good idea!

Okay I would definetly say do economics over business its more respected and opens alot more doors.
I would also say you don't need triple science to do chemistry and although its important to choose subjects relevant to what you want to do its also important that you do not pick weak ones. For exmaple do not do design and technology although it has relevance to civil engineering its weak and will diminish your chances of going to a good uni.

Latest