The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
CammyMadden

6.The Navy. In my opinion the navy are just useless. I mean seriously, nowadays what do they do? Yes they provide help to countries such as Haiti. But i am sure planes can do that in less time. The only reason Britain even has a navy is because in the past, we were renown for having the worlds biggist navy. But we don't anymore and there is really no need for us to even have such a large amount of ships. We should spend all our money on getting some more modern weapons e.g. nukes. The navy is being sunk and attacked by pirates because they are that bad at doing there job. To join the navy requires NO grades of any high standard. Neither does the army but in that example it doesn't exactly require much skill in english does it? Whereas the navy surely needs certain qualifications. I wouldn't want to be in a boat with some who is **** at maths and can hardly navigate. The navy is expensive to operate and one of the main reasons why taxes are increasing. The army is less expensive and much more effective and the airforce is cost effective because even though it is expensive it provides the service it need to supply.

Wow. You don't know much do you.

You know how much of a mess haiti was after that earthquake? You hear about planes being sent back as there was just no room to land. Navy dosn't have that problem. And most of the big ships carry helicoptors which are vital in an aid delivering role. Planes are useful for quick emergency responce but ships can carry more and can be there is a few days. The navy also have a large number or personal on board who can be used for aid work. Trained first aiders etc. You have to think of the bigger picture when responding to incidences like that.

When has any modern navy ship been sunk by pirates? Where are you getting this information?

The officers do the navigation. All personal are trained to a high standard for their role. And that amount of training depends on their role on board.

Defense spending isabout £35 billion. Education is twice that. It was 2.5% of our GDP in 2008. The troops on the ground in Afganistan are often marines, the helicoptors from the fleet air arm, the harriers too. Many of medical staff and supplies are also from Navy. They are providing systems to protect bases against attack. Using the phalanx system I think.

So thats the navy still providing defense on land, sea and air. Aid when needed. Using a highly trained mix of ratings and officers carrying out their roles.

Lets hear you shoot this argument down.
Reply 21
ThatHatGirl
It's people like you that perpetuate negative and ignorant stereotypes. All homeless people are not there because they are "alcoholics, druggies or gamblers" -- this is absolute rubbish! Sometimes you see them drinking or using drugs, but I totally understand the need for escapism in a life like theirs. Generally this happens after they're on the streets. Your point is neither insightful nor interesting - it's the sort of thing I hear from my less educated drunk mates in the pub.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're obviously bored out of your brains and attempting to start some controversy. Also, learn the difference between there and their!

maybe you should read before you comment on what i wrote. As i never said that was how ALL people became homeless, i said MOST. It is a proven fact that the majority of homeless people in Britain are homeless because of those 3 addictions. So do your ******* homework before you try having a go at me.
Reply 22
yeahh true :smile:
Reply 23
allow reading all of that
Reply 24
thunder_chunky
How insightful.

It's a little more complicated than that. And no, they shouldn't.

:confused: In fact I think the first people to go over to mainland America were the Vikings so...

:lol: History and education fail.
Not least because the Americans didn't save us in either world wars.
And because there weren't Nazi's in the first world....oh never mind.

As an island nation we have always needed a navy. For mobility as much as protecting our shores.
Whether it's transporting troops the long way as well as heavy equipment, or massive amounts of troops without it we would be crippled.

In 1982 the majority of the force sent down to retake the Falklands were transported by ships.

I guess they thought it was just more practical.

Mate you are so full of ****, this "history fail" as you put it, isn't. Yes the vikings may have been the first civilization to visit America, but I didn't say that. I said that Britain, Spain and France "Colonized" America. So try reading before you attempt to prove me wrong. Also the Americans played a vital part in both wars, not as much in WW1, but if they hadn't turned up when they did we probably would have lost.
I actually can't believe the amount of people who try to prove you wrong with false information. Including you.
Also you said something about the navy in 1982. I am talking about now, as i have said many times, I KNOW that in the past we had a huge navy, but thats the PAST!!!
CammyMadden
Mate you are so full of ****, this "history fail" as you put it, isn't. Yes the vikings may have been the first civilization to visit America, but I didn't say that. I said that Britain, Spain and France "Colonized" America. So try reading before you attempt to prove me wrong. Also the Americans played a vital part in both wars, not as much in WW1, but if they hadn't turned up when they did we probably would have lost.
I actually can't believe the amount of people who try to prove you wrong with false information. Including you.
Also you said something about the navy in 1982. I am talking about now, as i have said many times, I KNOW that in the past we had a huge navy, but thats the PAST!!!

:sleep: Nevertheless, your posts are all nonsense.
As are your "arguments" and I use that word very lightly.
Reply 26
dude55
Haha, I liked the part where thre OP said, "Negative comments would be appreciated because I will argue my point and you will lose any arguement." What a retard, this joker's made my day.

Mate, I had 6 free periods today. I had nothing to do and since the majority of people in my year had classes, i had very little else to do. So maybe you should back off. Nobody is making you read this, you chose to. I felt it would be a good chance to express my views on random stuff and argue my case. You don't know me at all so don't even try and judge me. Your the sad ****** spending your time on here, calling people retards? I mean how old are you? 11? 12? Can't be much older if for fun you go through threads and call people retards. Try thinking on that.
CammyMadden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Germany
First sentence.
Reply 28
patricko
Wow. You don't know much do you.

You know how much of a mess haiti was after that earthquake? You hear about planes being sent back as there was just no room to land. Navy dosn't have that problem. And most of the big ships carry helicoptors which are vital in an aid delivering role. Planes are useful for quick emergency responce but ships can carry more and can be there is a few days. The navy also have a large number or personal on board who can be used for aid work. Trained first aiders etc. You have to think of the bigger picture when responding to incidences like that.

When has any modern navy ship been sunk by pirates? Where are you getting this information?

The officers do the navigation. All personal are trained to a high standard for their role. And that amount of training depends on their role on board.

Defense spending isabout £35 billion. Education is twice that. It was 2.5% of our GDP in 2008. The troops on the ground in Afganistan are often marines, the helicoptors from the fleet air arm, the harriers too. Many of medical staff and supplies are also from Navy. They are providing systems to protect bases against attack. Using the phalanx system I think.

So thats the navy still providing defense on land, sea and air. Aid when needed. Using a highly trained mix of ratings and officers carrying out their roles.

Lets hear you shoot this argument down.

I never at any point said that it had been sunk by pirates, i just used being hijacked by pirates and sunk in the same sentence.

Also you have kind of proved yourseld wrong. You mention how much of a mess Haiti was, and that planes got sent back. But you also say that it takes days for navy to get their, days is a lot of time for something like Haiti, so reconsider that. Also to be honest mate as i have already said to someone else, I only put the last bit on my huge list in order to get people replying while i was at school. I had a whole day of nothing to do and needed something to fill my time. This was the only thing i could think off, that might sound sad. Infact it does. But the majority of my mates had classes so there was a limit on what i could do for 6 hours.
Reply 29
thunder_chunky
:sleep: Nevertheless, your posts are all nonsense.
As are your "arguments" and I use that word very lightly.

My posts are not nonsense, if you would read the title of the thread, it is my views. I do not give two ***** what you think. Clearly you are going to think my arguments are ****, but I just proved you terribly wrong so maybe you should quit while you ahead mate.
Reply 30
The_Gene_Genie

I really have no idea what you are trying to prove with that. The first sentence doesn't even relate to that.
CammyMadden
I really have no idea what you are trying to prove with that. The first sentence doesn't even relate to that.

The Nazi party wasn't even in existance during WW1. Also, opinions can be discarded if they are factual incorrect, as virtually all of yours are.
Too Long. Did not read.
Reply 33
The_Gene_Genie
The Nazi party wasn't even in existance during WW1. Also, opinions can be discarded if they are factual incorrect, as virtually all of yours are.

That does not mean the Germany still wouldn't have become a Nazi state if they had America on their side. Also the Nazi's were around in WW2, they were the reason for WW2. So....Give up.
who cares what you think?

are you famous?
CammyMadden
The nazi's would have won World War 1 and we would all be praising Hitler and speaking German.

Please share your views on each of my sub-topics. Negative comments would be appreciated because I will argue my point and you will lose any arguement.

You're an idiot. Please, in light of the above quote, argue this. I'd love to see how I'd lose. Just like the Nazi's lost World War 2.
Reply 36
FistOfFedor
who cares what you think?

are you famous?

Yes, as a matter of fact I am. But if I wasn't, you dont HAVE to read this. So why bother if your just going to be a prick ?
CammyMadden
That does not mean the Germany still wouldn't have become a Nazi state if they had America on their side. Also the Nazi's were around in WW2, they were the reason for WW2. So....Give up.

Your ignorance is so far gone that there is really no point in arguing. I'll just leave you with possibly the best live recording ever (although you'll probably disagree).

Reply 38
SayonaraSamm
You're an idiot. Please, in light of the above quote, argue this. I'd love to see how I'd lose. Just like the Nazi's lost World War 2.

That was a typing error. I clearly know that the Nazi's were not in WW1, I am taking history for the 4th year. Everyone makes mistakes.
This guy really reminds me of Karl Pilkington.

Anybody else think that?

Latest

Trending

Trending