The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
dis shoe iz da tits!!
Original post by Anna_Karenina

Human sexuality is as vital a part of a good story as anger, treachery or obsession. Having a good read of your posts I canot help but get the feeling your real problem with the nudity is not that it is generally jarring, but that it just makes you uncomfortable and so ruins your own personal experience. Perhaps youre just a bit of a prude. (Not meant in an derogatory fashion by the way, some people would have the same experience with regard to the blood or the incest.)

Not really, I've seen a whole range of films with differing levels of nudity and providing it worked not had an issue with it at all. Although I did wonder when I first started posting how long it would be before someone suggested that my criticisms of this show were personal issues I had...

It's all very well saying that human sexuality is a vital part to the story, but then as I said previously why is there nowhere near the same focus on nudity in men? The imbalance is probably the main reason it feels so gratuitous.
Original post by Phalanges
Not really, I've seen a whole range of films with differing levels of nudity and providing it worked not had an issue with it at all. Although I did wonder when I first started posting how long it would be before someone suggested that my criticisms of this show were personal issues I had...

What else is an opinion if not derived from ones personal issues?

It's all very well saying that human sexuality is a vital part to the story, but then as I said previously why is there nowhere near the same focus on nudity in men? The imbalance is probably the main reason it feels so gratuitous.

Again we come back to your own perception, I have seen a number of nude males (Although I would agree there is no penis but then again my knowledge of law with regard to such things is hazy at best.)

It just seems to me that in the nudity stakes females have the advantage of breasts. There were literally hundreds of semi-nude men in the last episode, and the episode before that featured men engaged in sexual acts that one could say were as embarrasing for them as they were the women. (The panto-esque doggy style at the Khals nuptials anyone?)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Cut from the first series. Not sure. If he is, bad move if they are looking to make a third or fourth series.

Hmm, makes sense I suppose, he doesn't really come into the story until the second book so I guess we won't see him this season. But they don't just tack him on without any of build up.
Reply 184

Probably because this show has a vastly greater number of straight male viewers, than women; and they are attempting to appeal to that audience?

Also, the vast proportion of the nudity has occurred in brothels, with straight male characters being the customer, and female nudity can therefore be expected. I mean, you can't just wack in some naked guys in the brothel, with Tyrion Lannister; it would kind of alter his character, don't you think? You can't have every character being bi-sexual, just to satisfy some kind of nudity equilibrium.

If women visited brothels (as customers) during the season, I'm sure you would see loads more male nudity; however, it's not really very realistic to assume women would frequent brothels, when there is a lack of any kind of contraception. It is also unrealistic because of the attitudes towards women, during the period in which the story is set; if we compare it to medieval Britain, for example. If you were a loose women, you were shunned; men's actions were often turned a blind eye to.

I don't think the fact that there aren't as many naked dudes is a very good reason to dislike a show; especially when to equalise the nudity would be unrealistic, and not in keeping with the story, or characters.
Reply 185
I don't know how people are finding it hard to follow, I'm having no trouble and I know nothing of the books. My only gripe is the lack of action, and I believe they need to explain more about the land north of the wall. But I'm sure all that will come in time, we're only on episode 3 after all.

Oh I really liked it when Viserys Targaryen tried to attack Daenerys & one of her helpers pulled him to the ground like he was nothing. That was awesome. He's a really irritating character :teehee:

What I like the most is the wall, the rangers, and the white walkers. So when winter comes, it's going to be AWESOME.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by Ewan
I don't know how people are finding it hard to follow, I'm having no trouble and I know nothing of the books. My only gripe is the lack of action, and I believe they need to explain more about the land north of the wall. But I'm sure all that will come in time, we're only on episode 3 after all.

Oh I really liked it when Viserys Targaryen tried to attack Daenerys & one of her helpers pulled him to the ground like he was nothing. That was awesome. He's a really irritating character :teehee:

What I like the most is the wall, the rangers, and the white walkers. So when winter comes, it's going to be AWESOME.

Are you me?
Again we come back to your own perception, I have seen a number of nude males (Although I would agree there is no penis but then again my knowledge of law with regard to such things is hazy at best.)

It just seems to me that in the nudity stakes females have the advantage of breasts. There were literally hundreds of semi-nude men in the last episode, and the episode before that featured men engaged in sexual acts that one could say were as embarrasing for them as they were the women. (The panto-esque doggy style at the Khals nuptials anyone?)

Just like you say, females have the advantage of breasts. You can not equate them with the male torso. Granted there is no real substitute for men, but this doesn't make them equal.

Original post by Phil2202
Probably because this show has a vastly greater number of straight male viewers, than women; and they are attempting to appeal to that audience?

I agree, which is why I feel that it's pandering and derivative.

Also, the vast proportion of the nudity has occurred in brothels, with straight male characters being the customer, and female nudity can therefore be expected. I mean, you can't just wack in some naked guys in the brothel, with Tyrion Lannister; it would kind of alter his character, don't you think? You can't have every character being bi-sexual, just to satisfy some kind of nudity equilibrium.

As far as I can remember the scene, there were three half naked women lying next to a man that was fully clothed.

I don't think the fact that there aren't as many naked dudes is a very good reason to dislike a show; especially when to equalise the nudity would be unrealistic, and not in keeping with the story, or characters.

When have I ever said that I disliked it because there wasn't naked equality?
Reply 188
As far as I can remember the scene, there were three half naked women lying next to a man that was fully clothed.

There have been two scenes in brothels so far, and combined, they have accounted for well over half the nudity.

As it has already been mentioned, there has been plenty of partial nudity, in regards to male characters (though mostly background characters); it's not our fault that we lack breasts.

Personally, I have found that the sex scenes and nudity have, if not furthered the plot; helped set the scene of the story, and portray certain characters, and people. Prime examples would be Tyrion Lannister, and also the Dothraki.

I don't think it is necessary to add any male nudity just for the sake of satisfying a nudity equilibrium, as I said before; but if the directors decided to make one of the minor characters gay, to increase the level of male nudity, I would have no problem with it; as long as it didn't harm the story. Though, I am unsure as to what attitudes within the Kingdoms of Westeros are, towards homosexuals; so such a change may have dramatic impact on how a character is perceived...
With all the nudity and brothels, they are fairly important for Tyrion's character in the long run, so it is there for a purpose.
I would love to see Tyrion naked. :colondollar:
Just like you say, females have the advantage of breasts. You can not equate them with the male torso. Granted there is no real substitute for men, but this doesn't make them equal.

Why should the levels of nudity be equal? Will your prudish sensibilities not be satiated until you see a bit of cock? If you had read the books you would know that in the quasi-medieval world the author protrays, women do not have anything approaching equality and are often stripped, beaten and raped; if anything a reflection of a historical reality.

So no, the nudity is not going to be equal but that is a vital part of the story. It seems that your failing to understand this is what spoils your perception of the nudity.

Why should the levels of nudity be equal? Will your prudish sensibilities not be satiated until you see a bit of cock? If you had read the books you would know that in the quasi-medieval world the author protrays, women do not have anything approaching equality and are often stripped, beaten and raped; if anything a reflection of a historical reality.

So no, the nudity is not going to be equal but that is a vital part of the story. It seems that your failing to understand this is what spoils your perception of the nudity.

I never said that there should be equal amounts. It was you that said that there was already just as much male nudity, and my comment was simply pointing out that there wasn't. I'm not going to continue this conversation now that it's just degenerated into straw man arguments and name calling.
Reply 193
I guess some people will just always be prudes. :dontknow:
I never said that there should be equal amounts. It was you that said that there was already just as much male nudity, and my comment was simply pointing out that there wasn't. I'm not going to continue this conversation now that it's just degenerated into straw man arguments and name calling.

It hasn't at all. You just don't want to continue this discussion. Make of that what you will.
Reply 195
My post a few pages back on nudity was a general point regarding HBO not specifically GoT itself, which has ample amounts in the book.

Also, my point regarding HBO having the same idea of 'mature entertainment' is that when a game once to appear 'mature' it adds in women in skimpier clothes, with bigger boobs and it swears more. HBO has basically taken this line of reasoning. In that it seems to believe maturity correlates directly with nudity and swearing.
They need a rethink before it becomes a true joke. Broadwalk Empire was brilliant but the nudity was to pull in 13 year old male virgins who lack access to the Internet.
Reply 196
I think the only 2 HBO shows where the gratuitous nudity/swearing actually worked was Oz and Deadwood.
Reply 197
Original post by Talon19921992
I am!

I don't understand how we in the UK will be able to watch it though, can't get HBO in the UK. Will it just come out slightly later on the BBC?

LOL, it is on Sky Atlantic mate.
Original post by Mess.
Broadwalk Empire

Are you sure you actually watched Boardwalk Empire? I'm pretty sure they use the word "boardwalk" in it.
Original post by aliluvschoc
I guess some people will just always be prudes. :dontknow:

And some people will just happen to have a different opinion to you about one instance of nudity which they believe to be gratuituous, and from that you'll make swift assumptions about their personality and their views on sex in general :dontknow: