The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Phalanges

Original post by Phalanges
I disagree. Just because a lot of other shows do the same thing doesn't excuse it, or stop you being able to judge it so far. If you compare it to something like the entrance of Lucas North on Spooks, by two hours they hadn't really told you all that much about him but you felt so much more attached to the character. Because there's so many different things happening in this it feels really distant and a lot less unconnected.

Agreed, I had the exact same problem with the books.
Original post by Mess.

Original post by Mess.
Agreed, I had the exact same problem with the books.

To put it into perspective, it would be as if Peter Jackson had started including scenes of Denethor during Fellowship Of The Ring.
Original post by Antonia87
Its crap. And I was hoping it wouldnt be.

Its just doggy-style sex and violence, like Rome, like Spartacus, like all these shows. Disappointing.

Just....

Original post by Rant
Does it offend your delicate sensibilities?

Lol, ask any long-term users on this forum if I'm delicate. And they'll probably laugh at you.
I'm a massive fan of True Blood and that is very rauncy, but it doesnt show tits and sex every two minutes. It gets boring.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 104
Original post by concubine
What was/is your MA like, yo?

I doubt I'll stay at Leicester if I do one (been looking into going to Norway perhaps) but still, it'd be good to know. ;o

Mostly interested in the near/middle east which sadly gets lost beneath all the Greco-Roman shenanigans in most undergraduate courses.

Well, it's not too bad. It's actually the wrong kind of course for me as it's quite theory based; which is not to my strength. i think in the future I shall do a second MA.

The course is quite new - it started this year, I think; so there's a lot of stuff to work on. Perhaps Birmingham might be a better bet; it's actually well known for its MA courses.

Actually, one of our lecturers (Dr MacSweeney) is a Asia Minor/Mesopotamian expert; so perhaps it is something to consider?
Reply 105
Lol, ask any long-term users on this forum if I'm delicate. And they'll probably laugh at you.
I'm a massive fan of True Blood and that is very rauncy, but it doesnt show tits and sex every two minutes. It gets boring.

It's also terrible.

This, at least, has a plot and characters not hastily sketched by a 10 year old.
Original post by Rant
It's also terrible.

This, at least, has a plot and characters not hastily sketched by a 10 year old.

Of course True Blood has plots! How much of it have you watched? Ultimately though, I'm a Dexter person. That is brilliant.
Reply 107
Of course True Blood has plots! How much of it have you watched? Ultimately though, I'm a Dexter person. That is brilliant.

Ugh, Dexter is a fascist's fantasy.

True Blood = utterly wasted concept.
Original post by Rant
Ugh, Dexter is a fascist's fantasy.

True Blood = utterly wasted concept.

Not quite sure what you mean by that...
Original post by Joshalos
People are probably being over the top about the nudity because people who have never read the books probably expected this to be a bit more' Lord of the Rings' based fantasy.
To be honest, this is just following the book very well by including all the sex scenes and everything. After all, sex is pretty much what Dothraki do.
If you thought Daenerys and her handmaid was a bit OTT, wait until you see what happens with them when Drogo isn't around. :sexface:

I must say that I love the opening sequence the made for the series. The way the seven kingdoms unfold on the map, like a playing board is fantastic. The cast are brilliant too - especially Cersei, Arya, Tommen and the direwolf pups ;D

The soundtrack is starting to grow on me :biggrin:
Reply 110
Not quite sure what you mean by that...

It's the idea that some people "deserve" to die in some way. Ugh.
It doesn't have THAT much sex, does it? The book wasn't gratuitous with it and I don't think this is as bad as True Blood in that respect. I wish they'd tone it down though, it makes watching it with family VERY awkward.
Original post by Rant
It's the idea that some people "deserve" to die in some way. Ugh.

Well, it doesn't exactly condone it...
Original post by Boom.Squish
It doesn't have THAT much sex, does it? The book wasn't gratuitous with it and I don't think this is as bad as True Blood in that respect. I wish they'd tone it down though, it makes watching it with family VERY awkward.

No, it's just people over exaggerating.
quite like it actually, so far so good. Sean Bean is great for roles set in the middle ages I find
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Empire has posted an interview with G R. R. Martin (covering the TV series) if anyone is interested in reading:
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1251

It was only a matter of time before a gif made an appearance. What a badass.

the funny dwarf character is 40% the reason why I watch the show, 50% for Daenyres and 10% for it being in the middle ages....

Lol I kid but he is a great character
Reply 116
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Empire has posted an interview with G R. R. Martin (covering the TV series) if anyone is interested in reading:
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1251

It was only a matter of time before a gif made an appearance. What a badass.

Honestly, Peter Dinklage may be the best dwarf in Hollywood history. Warwick Davis can suck it. :cool:
Reply 117
If I had one bad thing to say about it is that there needs to be more action. Too much talking imo...

Oh & Emilia Clarke needs to take her clothes off more often :colone: :rofl:
Reply 118
Lol. Had to happen sometime I guess...

But do you like Dexter? Cos if you dont...

Dexter had 2 good seasons, its been in a perpetual state of decline ever since then, I couldn't even watch the latest season I gave up after 2 episodes

Who gives a **** about his dumb kids?

Who gives a **** about ****ing Baptista?

Dexter hasn't been good for years

And True Blood is Buffy with a GCSE in English Lit
Original post by a_t
Dexter had 2 good seasons, its been in a perpetual state of decline ever since then, I couldn't even watch the latest season I gave up after 2 episodes

Who gives a **** about his dumb kids?

Who gives a **** about ****ing Baptista?

Dexter hasn't been good for years

And True Blood is Buffy with a GCSE in English Lit

Season 4 of Dexter was without a doubt the most tragic and nail-biting series of them all. You're mad if you dont think so.

Latest