The Student Room Group

AQA COMP3 - 14 June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What were the start and stop bits?
I got the even parity bit as 1 as there were an odd number of 1's.

I just assumed that the parity bit was different to the stop and the stop was different to the start so i got stop as 0 and start as 1? That was a total guess though...
Reply 21
I thought that was insanely easy compared to how it could have been! :P Everyone in our school did it in about 1.30 hours :biggrin: (Then again, the teacher we had last year, who came in for a revision day this year, is a nationally known expert, and wrote the textbook! :P - so maybe we had a slight advantage in that we were being taught by an actual GOD). My main problem was not having enough space in the darned essay Qs - I was writing half-pages for 2-mark Qs!!??!! :P

EDIT: Also, choilfc, yeah the parity bit was 1, and I reckon the other mark was just for knowing that the start and stop bits have to be different, (cos they don't tell you what the idle state of the line is) - so as long as start and stop were different you'll get both marks. :smile:
zoidfreak
did any of you guys get -5.5 for that real numbers question, where they said make this floating point number into denary?

I put 10.5 then remembered the question was in two's compliment so quickly changed my answer.

Stop bit was 1, start bit was 0 which I got wrong (according to the textbook) :frown: 50/50 guess.
nottud
The SQL I found I needed 4 conditions. Two were to link tablers, one to get the magasine date and one to ensure it was earlier than a certain date...

I wrote 4 conditions as well, hope its right
Reply 24
yep - 4 conditions. Defo. :smile:
what was the answer of the syntax diagram, i wrote Yes, no yes
alithegreat

That was correct.
Reply 27
alithegreat

yh same as me!!
choilfc
What were the start and stop bits?
I got the even parity bit as 1 as there were an odd number of 1's.

I just assumed that the parity bit was different to the stop and the stop was different to the start so i got stop as 0 and start as 1? That was a total guess though...

Parity? what questions is this? and how many marks.
Reply 29
Haddock3
Then again, the teacher we had last year, who came in for a revision day this year, is a nationally known expert, and wrote the textbook! :P - so maybe we had a slight advantage in that we were being taught by an actual GOD

If your teacher wrote the textbook, they must be ******* useless...there was a ridiculous amount of mistakes in that book, in explanations, diagrams, et al. Even missed out some topics that were on the spec, such as binary trees and traversing trees

A pitiful effort really...half our time was spent working out whether the textbook was correct or not, and if not (most of the time) we had to work it out for ourselves

(I assume you mean the endorsed AQA A2 Computing textbook...thats the one I'm referring to)
Reply 30
zoidfreak
did any of you guys get -5.5 for that real numbers question, where they said make this floating point number into denary?

Yh I did!!
Reply 31
Agreed Lanithro, the people who wrote the book are idiots! It was so confusing to understand, didn't contain half of the course but included things like Quicksort under COMP3 with a side note saying we don't need to know it!
was the BNF like this

<integer>= +|-<whole number>
<whole number> = <number>|<number><whole number>
<number> = 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9
Reply 33
I had the same except for the integer one where i had this...
<integer>= +<whole number>|-<whole number>

Is that the same thing?
choilfc
I had the same except for the integer one where i had this...
<integer>= +<whole number>|-<whole number>

Is that the same thing?

U r probably right mine didn't look right thats why i was confirming :frown:
Reply 35
alithegreat
U r probably right mine didn't look right thats why i was confirming :frown:

Let's wait for someone who actually knows :tongue:
I don't have a clue to be honest. The more im asking on here, the more marks it seems i've lost :frown:
i didnt know binary tree was in the syllabus
Reply 37
Haddock3
(Then again, the teacher we had last year, who came in for a revision day this year, is a nationally known expert, and wrote the textbook! :P - so maybe we had a slight advantage in that we were being taught by an actual GOD).

Hahaha. Was his teaching as bad as his book? Or worse?
Reply 38
Lanithro
If your teacher wrote the textbook, they must be ******* useless...there was a ridiculous amount of mistakes in that book, in explanations, diagrams, et al. Even missed out some topics that were on the spec, such as binary trees and traversing trees

A pitiful effort really...half our time was spent working out whether the textbook was correct or not, and if not (most of the time) we had to work it out for ourselves

(I assume you mean the endorsed AQA A2 Computing textbook...thats the one I'm referring to)

Yh i agree with you too mate, the book is totally crap. I remember while revising, in just the first 4 units i found like 13 mistakes or something ridiculous like that!

What did you guys get for the degree of relations question, the one to do with making links with:

Subscription Customer and Magazine?
Reply 39
Lanithro

Ouch - The Nelson Thornes one, yeah. His teaching was amazing - and every mistake/omission we found in the book he attributed to his co-author (S. Langfield). HE knows everything, so I was willing to believe him when he said that :P But yeah there were quite a few mistakes from Mrs. Langfield's bit :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest