OCR Latin A2 Verse Exam, 14th June

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So...

How did everyone find it?

I found the first part of the language hard but the rest ok. I liked the Aeneid questions.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyusha)

I found the first part of the language hard but the rest ok. I liked the Aeneid questions.
    Same! Aeneid questions were brilliant! But I made loaooods of mistakes on the unseen. However, my teacher checked my scansion, and I got it right YAY!

Hope everyone's feeling good! :woo:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookingoutofthewindow)
    Same! Aeneid questions were brilliant! But I made loaooods of mistakes on the unseen. However, my teacher checked my scansion, and I got it right YAY!

Hope everyone's feeling good! :woo:
    What was going on with the scansion - it seemed to have just too many syllables (like 9) in the second part of the pentameter!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same i made so many mistakes... reading the translation is so depressing. they're really stupid ones too, like reading "regna" as "regina".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Same i made so many mistakes... reading the translation is so depressing. they're really stupid ones too, like reading "regna" as "regina".
    I did that too! :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else do the Catullus? What strange questions, that was more like English than Latin? What were they expecting us to do, critique Catullus' works? And 63 didn't show up, I was bitterly disappointed.

Thought the unseen was OK - looked up the translation and I made a bit of a muddle of it, oops. :P But the comprehension wasn't too bad.

What did everyone get on the scansion? I came up with:

'arbiter es formae; certamina siste dearum,

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

vincere quae forma digna sit una duas.'

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

Think my hexameter was wrong, probably shouldn't have a foot spanning over a semi-colon, eh? :P Any enlightenment on that one?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    vincere quae forma digna sit una duas
    I think it's dactyl, spondee, random syllable, caesura, dactyl, dactyl, anceps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. At least your mythology didn't fail you though - I thought Venus was Jupiter's wife, and wrote it in just to make sure they realised that's what I thought. Muppet award to me, methinks...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddiemooey)
    Anyone else do the Catullus? What strange questions, that was more like English than Latin? What were they expecting us to do, critique Catullus' works? And 63 didn't show up, I was bitterly disappointed.

Thought the unseen was OK - looked up the translation and I made a bit of a muddle of it, oops. :P But the comprehension wasn't too bad.

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

Think my hexameter was wrong, probably shouldn't have a foot spanning over a semi-colon, eh? :P Any enlightenment on that one?
    Oh my god have I scanned the wrong ******* lines ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    Don't panic, it was only 4 marks and they may give you some credit if you've done it correctly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    OH NO!
    Have you seriously?!?!
    surely they'd award you at least one mark if you got the two lines you did do right?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic, it was only 4 marks and they may give you some credit if you've done it correctly.
    The one which you have as pentameter there was my hexameter though!

Oh my god, I came out of that exam utterly brimming with like ueber confidence, and now I feel almost as dunce as ...

OH MY GOD I'M SUFFENUS
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. At least your mythology didn't fail you though - I thought Venus was Jupiter's wife, and wrote it in just to make sure they realised that's what I thought. Muppet award to me, methinks...
    They might still give you the mark seeing as it was clear that you thought that, and that it wasn't just you mistranslating?

I failed the Ovid I think!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

-^^/--/--/-^^/-^^/-x

-^^/--/-//-^^/-^^/-

I think I got the same! There's nothing wrong with a foot spanning a semi colon i don't think, i'm pretty sure there are some examples in virgil, isn't that a caesura/diaeresis? (can never remember which one is which )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I got the same! There's nothing wrong with a foot spanning a semi colon i don't think, i'm pretty sure there are some examples in virgil, isn't that a caesura/diaeresis? (can never remember which one is which )
    That's what I got too, didn't even consider the semicolon being a problem haha. I hope it's right!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh.... i got -^^/--/-^^/--/-^^/-x for the first line....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by classicfish)
    Oh.... i got -^^/--/-^^/--/-^^/-x for the first line....
    Doesn't the 'e' of certamine have to be long, though?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygoshxo)
    Doesn't the 'e' of certamine have to be long, though?
    No, the final e of a noun like that is always short.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it was certamina, which is neuter plural, so it's short.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookingoutofthewindow)
    No, the final e of a noun like that is always short.
    Sorry I meant the first 'e' - because it is before 'rt' ... ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 15, 2011
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.