The Student Room Group

Worried about not getting into University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I need ABB for my firm, I've really got my heart set on it too :/
It's not only the worry/pressure now but also the disappointment if they don't accept!
on with revision i suppose!! :/
Reply 21
Leila_
Haha this is what i did, firm and insurance are both AAB. I don't really regret it though, i wouldn't want to go to the ABB university anyway, so..

Same, that's what I had in mind. At the time I thought I would rather not go to uni than go to the ABB uni. But now I'm not feeling so confident :s-smilie:
Both my firm and insurance are AAA...Yeah I'm screwed.
Reply 23
draikzer
Both my offers are AAA =/

Why put the same for both? Is one more leniant than the other on missed grades?
I can't think of many courses with AAA who'd accept you if you missed, either.
metro2610
Biggest worry playing on my mind at the minute :o:

sameeeeeeeeeeee :| i've only popped online whilst I eat my tea to take a break, and even that seems too much ...........
Reply 25
I'm not. My offer is ABB, I've already practically achieved that. Only need like 10 UMS to get the Bs and 40/150 UMS to get the A. Of course I'm aiming for A*A*A
I started to panic about it during an exam today, not the correct time to panic really.
I don't feel like I'm going enough revision done is the problem, going to hammer more philosophy tomorrow.
I should still make my firm but I am getting worried.
Reply 27
I need AAB to get into my firm which I can do. The only snag is that I need an A in History to go there! The course is perfect for me and its really where I want to go but it's probably a 50/50 whether I do well enough on the exam on Wednesday to get the A. I was really happy with going to my insurance until I came across some bad reviews of the French department on the Sheffield forum here and now I don't want to go there at all. So if I miss the grade I'm going to be begging Manchester to let me in. I'm wondering if I don't meet the offer for French and History whether if I meet the requirements for French they'd let me on the single honours and potentially let me pick up another language ab initio - I guess it depends on how the course fills up on the day!
I have just finished my three years at uni!
My A- level results day was the worst day of my life. I didnt get the results that I needed. However - What I didn't realise was that all along on Track my place had been confirmed!!
Now it does depend on the subject you are going for and how competitive the places are, but I have to say - you just may not realise all your options. I thought that if I didn't ge tthe right results it was all over for me. I did physiotherapy, and friends who wanted to come on the course (who did anyway in the end) were originally offered a foundation health year. I didn't even know there was such thing!
Theres always another option - and you don't have to do the uni thing straight away either. :smile: good luck to you all!
Reply 29
AAB, got this horrible sinking feeling, biology is being such a mare. Eugh.
Gina99
is anybody else worrying about this?
the way my current exams are going i think I am going to have to go through clearing. I wish I didn't choose my choices so early and chose a bit more realistically
I need ABB/AAC for my firm
I need ABC for my insurance
I know I won't get my firm now
but I did get ABC last year and hopefully these will push my grades up a bit
Is anybody else worried about this? I can't eat or sleep and it's affecting my revision!

I dont think I can handle going to my insurance so its all or nothing... and I have history on weds and I just cant get the grade I need :s-smilie:
gutteeedd......
Reply 31
Why Didnt I Revise Earlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 32
sunyellowshine
I have just finished my three years at uni!
My A- level results day was the worst day of my life. I didnt get the results that I needed. However - What I didn't realise was that all along on Track my place had been confirmed!!
Now it does depend on the subject you are going for and how competitive the places are, but I have to say - you just may not realise all your options. I thought that if I didn't ge tthe right results it was all over for me. I did physiotherapy, and friends who wanted to come on the course (who did anyway in the end) were originally offered a foundation health year. I didn't even know there was such thing!
Theres always another option - and you don't have to do the uni thing straight away either. :smile: good luck to you all!

I'm hoping my place gets confirmed if I slip down on history ... unlikely but I'll be checking the school computers after getting my results if I don't get what I think I need.
I'm worried, I need to get ABB for Bristol. I got AAB last year, and I only need a mid-c to get an A in Media this year, and a low-D to get a B in Spanish. But I have no bloody idea about Art...I need a C to get a B, but what if I did really badly?! :woo:

I have a Media exam tomorrow and I've reached that point where I've done so little revision I'm too scared to revise. :s-smilie:
draikzer
Both my offers are AAA =/

So are mine :frown: Dont know what to do when i fail!
Except jump infront of a bus!
Reply 35
river brent is near my house.. prob where i will be headign after my results!
Reply 36
Why would you have the same entry requirements for your firm and insurance? Did you not think about it? Pure madness...
Reply 37
appleby9
Why would you have the same entry requirements for your firm and insurance? Did you not think about it? Pure madness...

I could have done it and it wouldn't have been madness :p: Manchester and Glasgow want AAB however Manchester wants As in French and History. I can get an A in English much easier than History because of how I did last year so I can get AAB but not necesarily in History and so I would miss my firm but still have the grades for my insurance. As it goes, that isn't what I did but I could have :smile:
Reply 38
As one who missed her offer last year, and is still here, and still in one piece, and hasn't screwed up her life for ever and ever and ever... don't worry. Seriously, it's easy to say and I know I was panicking like mad myself last year (there are probably still threads here to prove it), but it will be okay, whatever happens. I promise.

So, say you do you miss your offers. That's the worst-case scenario; it's unlikely, but it can happen, yes.

What then? Well, as I said, life doesn't end in a crashing ball of fiery doom. You can apply through Clearing, or, if there's nothing that interests you, a better option might be to go to college for a year, and take up a new subject and do the AS and A2 in one year - or you could just resit some modules in some subjects to lift your grades back up. You can then reapply to university, and in all likelihood, they'll be just as happy to have you as they were this year.

Case in point, in year 13, I applied for English lit at some very competitive unis: Bristol, York, Exeter, Warwick (this was English and Creative Writing) and Cardiff.

In that year, I got offers from York, Exeter and Cardiff, and an interview from Warwick. I was predicted AAA, but came out of the year with ABC, so I missed my offers.

This year, I went back to college, resat some modules (which didn't go too well, admittedly - but I'd had some pretty big problems with drama, the subject I have a C in, and partly it was just me - so in all likelihood, resits would go much better for any of you if you needed them), and fast-tracked philosophy AS and A2.

I also reapplied to university - I wrote a pretty good personal statement, if I say so myself, which I think was the most important thing. Again, I applied to Bristol, York, Exeter (but the Cornwall campus this time!), UEA, and St Andrews on a whim.

You might think that, if you messed up the first time, the universities won't want you. I know I did. But this is simply not true. Even with grades ABC announced on my UCAS form, I had offers from Bristol (which is notoriously competitive for English, to the point where I nearly didn't apply the second time at all!), Exeter and the UEA. And rather than wanting me to 'prove myself', or anything like that (I know I thought at the time that if I'd messed up once, they'd want to see stellar grades after a resit), the latter two gave me the lower end of their standard offers.

And my extra year has been really, really good for me. For instance, I think that thanks to studying philosophy, I'm ready to cope with a university course now. I used to be a bit scared of writing essays, since I only really had to write them a couple of times a year for coursework - and I could do them, but they were a huge, daunting undertaking. My philosophy tutor, though, pushed pretty hard and set two essays each week most weeks - which helped me get used to a heavy workload. And in picking up a subject I wouldn't have tried otherwise, I've discovered something I really, really like - to the point at which I actually applied for joint honours in Philosophy as my insurance. It's developed my mind, too, and the way I think and approach things.

A year's breathing-space also gave me a chance to look more realistically at what I could hope for, or should be aiming for - and also, there was a whole extra year to really look at a lot of universities and also to get to know myself and what I want a bit better. It was such a rush the first time round, but the second time, I thought about it all much more carefully and came to some much better decisions for me. Like turning down Bristol, however awesome, in favour of Exeter Cornwall.

In fact, the best thing I can say, I think, is that if I'd just passed last year, I'd have gone off to York. But something was already bothering me a bit about that before I even got my results, and I don't think I'd really have been happy there in the end. Something about the location, and the intense, friendly-but-a-bit-unsupportive academic pressure of the department, the sheer size of it all... But because I had to look again at my options, I discovered the English department of Exeter in Falmouth - which I'd not even considered back in Year 13 - and just, fell in love with everything about it. The second time round, I guess you could say, I found somewhere I truly wanted to be, which was something I'd missed out on completely the first time.

I was scared at first, sure. I thought I was a complete failure. But you know what? I'm not - and you won't be, either, whether you get the grades you want or not. Exams are important, but they aren't the ONLY, or even the MOST important thing about any of you. They don't even reflect a person's academic ability very well - they're a rough guide at best - and they certainly don't indicate any of the other wonderful, vital qualities of a person. An exam grade doesn't tell you that I love writing and sketching, that I sing like a frog in the shower (to the amusement of my family), that I'm great at giving hugs, and that I really care about the people around me - and it's the same for all of you.

TL;DR: Whatever happens, exams can be resat. And are. And nobody really minds. You're still awesome.

:smile:
Reply 39
I'm feeling pretty safe. Firm wants BBB and my insurance wants CCD. I'm currently at a BBC with two more exams to go...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending