Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
JoeFen
Or Sky. :p:

Each to their own I guess :p:

How many ppl will we have to share a fridge with????

I only had to share with 2 other people in my first year, but one of my friends shared 2 fridges between about 18 people. Stuff like milk went missing all the time, which I guess must be a bit of a pain. If you all get on though I guess you can chip in for stuff like milk and bread in groups, otherwise you'll end up with a fridge that's just full of milk and butter!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
JoeFen
Or Sky. :p:

I'll second that! Mmmm!
Reply 22
Have any of you ever been in one of the new Lonsdale/Cartmel rooms? I am starting to worry about what it's going to be like.

I have heard in the bathroom there is no shower base as such, it's literally a tiled floor, with a shower and curtain.

Is this true?
Reply 23
Smiley_Me
Have any of you ever been in one of the new Lonsdale/Cartmel rooms? I am starting to worry about what it's going to be like.

I have heard in the bathroom there is no shower base as such, it's literally a tiled floor, with a shower and curtain.

Is this true?

The showers are like that..........im scared of water getting into the actual room.
Reply 24
tana
The showers are like that..........im scared of water getting into the actual room.

Ah well. The main thing is we actually have a shower. But people have told me they leak. I have a bath mat, and I will defo get a shower mat too. Would be really embarrassing slipping on the floor.
Reply 25
tana

i bet the floor is on a slight slant in the shower corner of the bathroom so that the water drains down the plug hole. it would be funny though if everytime you went for a shower it leaked into your room, u would be wishing you never went for en-suite! hehe!
Reply 26
stevo87
i bet the floor is on a slight slant in the shower corner of the bathroom so that the water drains down the plug hole. it would be funny though if everytime you went for a shower it leaked into your room, u would be wishing you never went for en-suite! hehe!

Hehe I can see this being a problem...
Reply 27
I've had an en-suite room like that before. The shower is sunk into the tiled floor so it is sort of a shower base.

Will prob look something like the one in the link below except the toilet will be where the sink is and vice versa. You can just see in this one that the shower does dip down slightly.

http://www.unite-students.com/ACCOMMODATION.information/Plymouth/Central_Point/images.html
i didnt go for the ensuite option becos im such a scrooge! :biggrin: i figured i share with my family and always have done so it wont be a problem for me, plus the showers are cleaned regularly and i can see a fair few laughs when people are running back to their rooms n they slip or run like a panzie (probably guna be me!) :eek: the shame!

i was just wondering are there any baths in county? I love my baths i do *nodds head* and i wudnt be very happy without one :frown:

<<Lew>>
I go to Lancaster on Saturday, I'm in Lonsdale, so yeah, this is more of a question for students already there...seems I've found the right thread anyway :smile:

So, is it possible to update personal websites from your computer at Lancaster? I use FTP to update mine, and in the booklet it says FTP is allowed, but elsewhere is says hosting websites is blocked by their firewall. I've asked my friend who's already there and he says pretty much nothing works with the firewall but he's not sure about uploading websites and the like. I really need to know if it's possible to update my site once I have my computer up and running in my room, because I'm a geek like that :P... So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 30
Carolinedoodle
I go to Lancaster on Saturday, I'm in Lonsdale, so yeah, this is more of a question for students already there...seems I've found the right thread anyway :smile:

Hey. Which building/floor are you in?

I'm in House 36 Overtown floor B.

Good luck for Saturday. :smile:
Reply 31
Reply 32
carolinedoodle
I go to Lancaster on Saturday, I'm in Lonsdale, so yeah, this is more of a question for students already there...seems I've found the right thread anyway.

Yea another lonsdalion!!!!

Good luck on saturday!!!
Reply 33
Carolinedoodle

So, is it possible to update personal websites from your computer at Lancaster? I use FTP to update mine, and in the booklet it says FTP is allowed, but elsewhere is says hosting websites is blocked by their firewall. I've asked my friend who's already there and he says pretty much nothing works with the firewall but he's not sure about uploading websites and the like. I really need to know if it's possible to update my site once I have my computer up and running in my room, because I'm a geek like that :P... So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!

supposidly the firewall is a real arse to get around, and ive heard you actually have to install it to be on the network. you will have to just try doing your website when your there!
stevo87
supposidly the firewall is a real arse to get around, and ive heard you actually have to install it to be on the network. you will have to just try doing your website when your there!

Universities tend to use similar firewalls. I had a personal web site at Manchester and FTP was no problem at all.
Reply 35
What kind of sites do they block and what kind of downloading do they block?
Reply 36
JoeFen

does anyone know if it blocks bit torrents?
JoeFen

I don't know if they actually block anything (in terms of web sites) - I guess really bad/illegal sites are done automatically - but most of the time you have to just stick with the Uni's usage policy.

They do close off certain ports which restricts/block usage of P2P applications such as Kazaa etc
stevo87
does anyone know if it blocks bit torrents?

I imagine so - that is still technically is classed as P2P. As far as i'm aware they also block VoIP applications such as Skype too...
Reply 39
I reckon torrents, limewire etc will be blocked. Fair play though, uni has to watch it's own back even if the likelihood of getting caught is about 0.0004% if you go about it in a safe way.

I'm only worried that I won't be able to get onto a forum Ive paid up to where I can download Liverpool highlights and other stuff.