The Student Room Group

Which subjects are more interesting?

I am looking for an informed argument as I am very confused about whether to swap Psychology and Sociology for Philosophy and Ethics and History for my A level choices next year.

My other permanent options are English Lit, Theatre Studies and Goverment and Politics.

I know Philosophy and Ethics and History are more respected but I am asking purely which subjects are more interesting and for infomation about the courses.

All of the courses would be studied on the OCR exam board at my chosen Sixth Form next year.

GCSE's: (since I have not yet received my grades but sat most of the exams these results are a sensible but not 100percent accurate prediction!)

English Lit: A*
English Language: A/*
Maths: A
Biology: A/*
Chemistry: B/A
Physics: A
Religious Studies: A*
German: B
Theatre Studies: A*
Reply 1
you could try looking at what you would be studying for each one and see which appeals most? :smile:
I did Eng Lit, History and Philosophy and Ethics and i found them all really interesting, perhaps RS which is really different from GCSE btw the most and Englit the least but really its down to personal preference. I didnt do Psych or sociology but from talking to friends psych is proper solid if you are going to do one i would say don't do both as you're right they can be considered soft subjects
Reply 3
Don't do sociology, its not interesting despite what people say and the last unit which im currently doing i can only describe as killer. It is litterally all my other modules from my other 3 subjects in this one unit, thats how much there is to learn. I know people on here slate it, claiming that it is easy, but seriously it is extremely hard to retain that amount of information and that comes from friends who do maths, chemistry, biology etc. From what i hear history is really interesting but hard too :frown:
Joell3
I am looking for an informed argument as I am very confused about whether to swap Psychology and Sociology for Philosophy and Ethics and History for my A level choices next year.

My other permanent options are English Lit, Theatre Studies and Goverment and Politics.

I know Philosophy and Ethics and History are more respected but I am asking purely which subjects are more interesting and for infomation about the courses.

All of the courses would be studied on the OCR exam board at my chosen Sixth Form next year.

GCSE's: (since I have not yet received my grades but sat most of the exams these results are a sensible but not 100percent accurate prediction!)

English Lit: A*
English Language: A/*
Maths: A
Biology: A/*
Chemistry: B/A
Physics: A
Religious Studies: A*
German: B
Theatre Studies: A*

For the record, philosophy and ethics is about as respectable as Psychology and sociology....
I did check this out with oxford (and pure philosophy is more respectible than both of them)... history I love and I did the As religious studies (which has the ethics part in it) and it was really good... to be honest, they are all rather similar... I would say your a history and P&E person... just from looking at your GCSE's.... but psychology is a nice break and sociology goes well with gov and politics and english lit (thats my specialty in literature tbh)

either way you will enjoy it... good luck!!!
Reply 5
ahhh I've never heard that about sociology before, are you on OCR?
Reply 6
bacforever3
For the record, philosophy and ethics is about as respectable as Psychology and sociology....
I did check this out with oxford (and pure philosophy is more respectible than both of them)... history I love and I did the As religious studies (which has the ethics part in it) and it was really good... to be honest, they are all rather similar... I would say your a history and P&E person... just from looking at your GCSE's.... but psychology is a nice break and sociology goes well with gov and politics and english lit (thats my specialty in literature tbh)

Ahh thank you but the Philosophy and Ethics course I am looking at is also called Religious Studies in parts of the prospectus which is the same as my GCSE course so I assumed it counted as R.S on the list of acceptable A levels?
Reply 7
I do philosophy & ethics and psychology. Philosophy & ethics is much more interesting, in my opinion.
bacforever3

philosophy and ethics IS Religious Studies at least for AQA and OCR it is. Philosophy and Ethics is just a better way of describing what you do in the subject there is no seperate qualification for that exam board.
Reply 9
I did RS & Psychology at AS, RS was so much more interesting, Psychology was just about cramming as much as you could. And RS is respected its on Trinity Cambridge's list of respected A-Levels.

And to clear up the confusion. The A-level is RS. Philosophy & Ethics are the topics studied.
mandamoo92
philosophy and ethics IS Religious Studies at least for AQA and OCR it is. Philosophy and Ethics is just a better way of describing what you do in the subject there is no seperate qualification for that exam board.

I dont remember who I did RS with but I know its not Philosophy and Ethics... they other that at the boys school and we have had many discussion on the diffeneces between our Religious Studies option, our Philosophy option and their Philo and ethics option...
bacforever3
I dont remember who I did RS with but I know its not Philosophy and Ethics... they other that at the boys school and we have had many discussion on the diffeneces between our Religious Studies option, our Philosophy option and their Philo and ethics option...

Must be a different exam board or possibly the pre-2008 changes.

Latest