The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Killer Bean
Aha, that's pretty helpful, thanks. :smile: I just read the FAQ, and the textbooks there seem like a worthwhile read, but at ~£40, I won't be able to afford them. Do you know of any libraries that offer these books, or any other kind of solution to the cost factor there? Also, seeing as they're all textbooks, is there any more literary material that you would suggest? Come to think of it, do you know of many philosophers that integrate psychology in their work, or perhaps vice-versa? Expressing a distaste for all of the other books I mentioned, you would probably not like Emotional Intelligenceeither; it explores how self-awareness and motivation work separately from "concrete intelligence", like IQ work in a human being's functionality and to what extend it determines their success in counterpoint to their IQ. I've read the intro and it seems worthwhile to reads parts of (not reading all of this one - too long)... have you come across anything like this in your studies or otherwise by any chance, and what are your views on it?

I see you've also said that wider reading is not essential in preparation for the course. This raises a couple of questions: If I do not mention any wider reading in my PS, won't I look naive (as a matter of fact I am lol, but that's why I'm posting here)?

Though, could you be more specific as to why you direct such vitriol towards The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat? of course not having read the book myself, I don't have a problem with you saying that, but I've had it recommended to me on numerous occasions, and my Psychology teacher speaks pretty highly of it, so what you had to say left me rather bemused. Although it may not be wise to mention in a PS due to the fact that SO MANY people would reference this book to. Would you recommend visiting some university libraries and browsing over there? I live very close to Brunel university, so would that be a worthwhile thing to do?

By the way, as I've said, I'm thinking of taking an entire A-level in further maths next year, on top of A2s in English Literature, Psychology and Maths. Is this advisable? And if so, would doing S3, 4 5 and D1 be a good idea, or should I take a mechanics module? I'll be self-teaching this if I do - I'm planning to get A LOT done over the summer. Or perhaps maybe I should do a biology A-level instead? So would FM help much?

The reason I did badly in my GCSEs is because I really didn't take them seriously: I didn't do any homework ever and rarely listened in class, because I was pretty arrogant back then, as what was expected of me was merely 5 passes, being in a **** school. I was also bullied for doing well funnily enough. I'm not whining or anything, but my GCSE results are not down to a lack of capability. As for the AS levels, tbh I'm almost certainly going to get AABBB this year. I did try, and have moved to a decent school since, but my module 1 Psychology cocked up because I had crap exam technique - I requested the paper back and showed it to my Psychology teacher, who said I was merely hinting towards correct answers; the A grade-level knowledge was there, but it wasn't catering to the mark scheme. Since I have been getting As in the past papers, but I don't think I get 92% in module 2, unless the raw mark -> UMS ratio is very kind. Think I got around 64/72 - there were some very dodgy questions. As for music, it was a stupid decision taking it; at the time I was only picking "what I enjoyed" without thinking about university. I only have 2 years of experience with playing guitar as a hobby, and as some people have been0classically trained and raised with Music, I was at a major disadvantage there. Realistically, I probably got an A in English - I was only pessimistic because I had never read the poem that came up, but tbh I think I sold it really well, ace'd the prose, so that and my coursework (which is 100%) should bring me up to an A. Would it be wise to retake 4 GCSEs next year and get them up to A* grade? I could probably do this rather easily, but I don't know if that would be worth it. Do you think that I would boast a strong application grade-wise at top unis is I apply next year, with 4 GCSEs resat to A* level and finish A2s with say, A*AABbb, A*AABbb AAAAbb, AAABbb or even just AAAbb? Are late applications considered to be any weaker then, even is no modules have been resat at A-level?

Thanks for the suggestion of the magazine, I should definitely give it a go. I've had a look at the website and it certainly looks interesting - like the type of thing that could stimulate my thought into the subject of Psychology and increase my knowledge quite well. My year 11 work experience (didn't do any in y12) was rather useless tbh. I worked in a newspaper printing firm watching everyone do their job: building PCs, using photo shop and such. However, I guess I could blag it with some bullcrap about how I gained insight into workplace psychology through it. :p:

I think I could get an A* in psychology. The only reason I got a C in module 1 is because I had **** exam technique - I knew almost everything from the textbook. : / Plus, My teacher has made a list of only 18 questions that could come up in PSYA3 so that really gives me some confidence. As for Maths, I don't know. I have found AS maths an absolute walk-in-the-park, and A2 doesn't really look all that hard to me but hey, who knows? I will have good predicted grades (AAAB at the VERY least, with the bb/ab outstanding), the only bad thing is that my AS grades will most likely be high Bs, which I plan to push up to As next year by working over the summer. It's just a matter of convincing uni's that I can do that. : /

Yeah, that's one of the challenges - making my PS as unique and genuine as possible. What entices me about a Psychology degree is the fact that it walks the line between a scientific and literary, creative practise - or at least does this better than almost any other subject - so it stimulates me in many different ways. In addition, I absolutely LOVE the prospect of researching and creating/submitting my own knowledge, be creative yet focused, with a specific motive in mind, and being encouraged to think critically about everything I read.

You have helped. ^_^ Further confirmation that I really need to check this magazine out. I have a couple of extra-curriculars, but really not many, but I'm just hoping I'll be able to do some volunteer work over the summer at comfortable hours, say once or twice a week. Seeing yours would be very greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch for the offer. :smile: I'm thinking of applying to Manchester as well, it looks like a very good place to study. Plus it's far enough from home!

Yeah, it looks like constructing my PS will be a very gradual, painstaking process, and or force I'll have to take great care in presenting myself in the light that both reflects me/my interests and I would want to be seen in from an admissions standpoint. Of course there is a lot more to me than reading books, but I feel as though I may need to back up a lot of what I say through books, else I may come off as naive/not well-read enough. However, I will be sure to, if I do allude heavily to my wider reading in my personal statement, present everything wrapped in my own view, taking care to let myself as an individual come through at all times, while trying to sell myself as a Psychology applicant; never have I actually considered plagiarism, official or not. And yes, I'm really stressing myself with all the hard work I'm lining up for myself. :eek: Thanks for the advice, though, it helps to read that coming from someone else too.

When I said my "personality as I psychology applicant", I think you misunderstood me. I simply meant myself as "an embodiment of a collection of qualities", so pretty much just how the application looks overall, with respect to the kind of person I am: what attitudes towards the course they could expect me to have at degree level if you get what I mean.

I of course think about everything I read, and will present as such when necessary. Do you have any recommendations on your own? My favourite aspect of psychology is social psychology, and an the implications of the cognitions of individuals on groups and ultimately society. So anything that discusses that (or really anything else you would recommend in general) would be brilliant.

As for philosophy, it's just something I think would compliment psychology rather well. I think York would be a wonderful place to study Psychology, and so wouldn't mind compromising that, having to study pure Psychology is the university is good; after all, I'm still studying Psychology, be it purely or predominantly. Getting the balance might be a little tricky, but I was at a Cambridge open day a couple of months ago, and in response to a similar question, the man said that they don't mind too much about the balance as they understand it can be rather tricky to get this right if one is applying to many different variations of a course.

There is no real problem with my predicted grades. The only teachers I have that don't have complete faith in me are my Maths teachers, but I'm sure that will change when they see my AS grades, so I'm certain I can at least get predicted AAAB. It's my past performance which is the problem.

Jesus Christ, I've written a lot :sleep: ... huge thanks to everyone who's replied, I was very pleasantly surprised upon coming back here and seeing this! I was expecting this thread to slowly sink down with 0 replies and 1 view, lol. :smile:

It seems to me.. you just now wrote your PS :tongue:
Reply 21
Get the books off ebay! You can find most of them for under £4 :smile:

As for philosophy complimenting psychology, I'm not too sure about that. I'm pretty sure that all courses are science orientated, and while I only know A level philosophy, I do know a lot more about psychology and the parts that do overlap are unlikely to be present in the degree.

Latest