The Student Room Group

Working out the Rate Determining Step?

The rate equation for this reaction is
rate = k[NO]2[O2]

(iii) Using the rate equation, a scientist suggested a mechanism for the reaction which
consisted of the two steps shown below.
Step 1 NO + NO → N2O2
Step 2 N2O2 + O2 → 2NO2
Which did the scientist suggest was the rate–determining step?

(iii) Step 2

This question is on the Spec for Unit 4.

I was just wondering how that is worked out? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but I can't see it :O Any help greatly appreciated!
Beckyweck
The rate equation for this reaction is
rate = k[NO]2[O2]

(iii) Using the rate equation, a scientist suggested a mechanism for the reaction which
consisted of the two steps shown below.
Step 1 NO + NO → N2O2
Step 2 N2O2 + O2 → 2NO2
Which did the scientist suggest was the rate–determining step?

(iii) Step 2

This question is on the Spec for Unit 4.

I was just wondering how that is worked out? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious but I can't see it :O Any help greatly appreciated!

There was a thread on this very question this week - just do a little look around...
I went back 10 pages and I couldn't find the thread you're talking about :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Its step 1, surely? Because the rate equation involves only NO and O2, so the rate determining step involves those molecules. And the only step that involves both NO and O2 those is step 1.
Beckyweck
I went back 10 pages and I couldn't find the thread you're talking about :s-smilie:

It's on the first page!!!!! :eek:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1306005
Reply 5
The order of reaction shows how many molecules of each reactant is in the rate determining step. So there's two molecules of NO and one molecule of O2 in the rate determining step. Also, it's only the reactants that we're concerned about so they're the only bit's you need to look at. I know this post is from five years ago but I thought this might help anyone stucck on this kind of question now :smile: .

Quick Reply

Latest