The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Interesting! I often wondered what Williamson's like inside, as I walked past it every day on my way to Reid...
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
And what do you think?

(and aren't you glad you were in Reid?)
Reply 3
I don't know what I'm in yet. Are they are all pretty much similar to that?
Reply 4
JP2, have you checked your accommodation through the status checker at http://portal.rhul.ac.uk ?
Reply 5
I checked it yesterday and it was blank for room description. I sent my form off about a week late though. As long as I get something though...
Reply 6
JP2403
I don't know what I'm in yet. Are they are all pretty much similar to that?

No, as a matter of fact none of the others are, as no-one lives in Athlone or Cameron anymore (which are being demolished soon, by the way), and the other Halls are different. Apparently the pantries in Founder's are about the same standard, though.
Reply 7
Cartouche
And what do you think?

(and aren't you glad you were in Reid?)

Hehe, yes I am! Though I have in all honesty heard good things about the community spirit in Williamson... :smile:
Reply 8
You need spirit in Slumland. I'm so glad I don't have a window with a courtyard view as it seems so dark and depressing. Meh.
Reply 9
Cartouche
You need spirit in Slumland. I'm so glad I don't have a window with a courtyard view as it seems so dark and depressing. Meh.

Thanks for the pictures. Ever the optimist; it doesn't actually seem that bad to me. The building exceeds my expectation (apart from that chair in your room - eugh!), but it's probably because I had low expectations from all those slating Williamson House as an eyesore etc.

How big was the room btw, I'm hoping the photos don't really do it justice and it's actually (atleast) double the size
It seems all right guys, i dont think its meant to be buckingham palace. I spose they were thinking that if they make it look too interesting on the inside then we wont be able to concentrate on our work.

Seems logical dont ya think?
Either way i think im with AnOdeToNoone; ever the optimist - we'll be able to make it our own once we;re in there!!!
Reply 11
MarioCreatura
It seems all right guys, i dont think its meant to be buckingham palace. I spose they were thinking that if they make it look too interesting on the inside then we wont be able to concentrate on our work.

Seems logical dont ya think?
Either way i think im with AnOdeToNoone; ever the optimist - we'll be able to make it our own once we;re in there!!!

Right on. But I hear there are plans to demolish it in the next few years. Wouldn't it be cool if we were the last students in there? :rolleyes:
AnOdeToNoOne
Right on. But I hear there are plans to demolish it in the next few years. Wouldn't it be cool if we were the last students in there? :rolleyes:

Yeah man, end of an era - go out in style. Sounds like it could be a film couldnt it: Matrix revolutions adaptation - "If its our time to (demolish Williamson) then its our time". I think thats how it went!!

If it is then we better have a bloody big piss up!!
Reply 13
MarioCreatura
Yeah man, end of an era - go out in style. Sounds like it could be a film couldnt it: Matrix revolutions adaptation - "If its our time to (demolish Williamson) then its our time". I think thats how it went!!

If it is then we better have a bloody big piss up!!

Yeah!!!njfdifj lets piss on the walls!
AnOdeToNoOne
Yeah!!!njfdifj lets piss on the walls!

I wudnt go that far ... but you never know... :smile:

I wonder what would happen if they told us after the 'pissing on the walls event' that they wernt going to demolish it cos ppl loved the building so much... whoops!
Reply 15
MarioCreatura
I wudnt go that far ... but you never know... :smile:

I wonder what would happen if they told us after the 'pissing on the walls event' that they wernt going to demolish it cos ppl loved the building so much... whoops!

It has a charm about it - not pissing on walls of university accomodation - although it was designed on a Swedish prison. Doesn't look like an Ikea to me - 1337.
Reply 16
Well, the room has a half behind where I took the photo from, with a number of cupboards and wardrobes surrounding a sink with a huge mirror and the door, which resembles an electric substation due to having the 'danger of death' symbol on it for some reason. It's supposed to be a big room, though. The chair, however, was quite comfortable!

The inner courtyard is the most depressing thing about the place, as that photo I took was of it on a cloudless day in the early afternoon, and it was still terribley dark and gloomy. All pantries face onto it, too. Otherwise, it seems fairly standard for the lower part of British University Accommodations. I've seen similar buildings in Manchester and Leicester, for example.

At least we'll be okay if a tornado hits us.
Thanks for the pics Cartouche, very thoughtful of you. Was there a pin board in the room? Or did they say anything about being able to stick things on the walls? Just thinking of the length we can go to to make it our own space.
Reply 18
nellyinwellies
Thanks for the pics Cartouche, very thoughtful of you. Was there a pin board in the room? Or did they say anything about being able to stick things on the walls? Just thinking of the length we can go to to make it our own space.

I saw a room in founders where the dude used blu tac to pin posters and photos up.
Reply 19
I think blue tac and cellotape will have to be our friends this year. Customisation is a must as far as I can tell from the bare walls.

And thankyou, Nellyinwellies!

Latest

Trending

Trending