The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
vnupe
And again according to Unistats (believe it if you choose) Oxford admits 3% of applicants with 319 UCAS points of lower, which I believe is below AAB...

Once again, it would really help if you could refer to actual numbers rather than percentages - which is one of the major downsides of Unistats in my opinion, as it doesn't even tell you whether those percentages are rounded up or down (which they most likely are). In actual numbers, "3%" means 70-80 students, i.e. two or three students per college who were either mature post-qualifications applicants or missed their offers and had extenuating circumstances. Which isn't really a big deal if you think about it, so why are you so determined to make it one?:s-smilie:
vnupe
D you think I am an Oxbridge basher?

Is that an unreasonable conclusion?
Reply 62
hobnob
Once again, it would really help if you could refer to actual numbers rather than percentages - which is one of the major downsides of Unistats in my opinion, as it doesn't even tell you whether those percentages are rounded up or down (which they most likely are). In actual numbers, "3%" means 70-80 students, i.e. two or three students per college who were either mature post-qualifications applicants or missed their offers and had extenuating circumstances. Which isn't really a big deal if you think about it, so why are you so determined to make it one?:s-smilie:

I am not determined to make it one, but simply point out, though rare these cases exist. The fact that they maybe mature post-qualification applicants (again where is the proof and only speculation) or ones with extenuating circumstances is irrelevant, the fact is that they are there.

Another fact is that 70 - 80 is a significant number, especially if people are going to complain and say that internationals are taking up all the places. Here you have one of the pre-eminent universities in the UK by all intents and purposes admitting "less than qualified" by most people's standards people... This is my point more or less.
Reply 63
AnonymousPenguin
Is that an unreasonable conclusion?

Why would I be an oxbridge basher? WOuld you take umbrage if I called you an Oxbridge fan boy?

I have no dog in an Oxbridge fight...
vnupe
WOuld you take umbrage if I called you an Oxbridge fan boy?

No not at all, I'd say that's a reasonable conclusion :wink: .
Reply 65
timreynolds
I just want to know everyone's opinions on this... I'm not a racist or xenophobic in any way, I just think that especially as funding and places are being cut due to the economic climate- don't you think (in a kind of act of protectionism) that Unis should place a lower cap on international students and favour domestic students who have lived and studied all their lives in the UK and whose parents have paid taxes in the process?

Or is it all about the extra funding for the universities now, due to the economy, and they are trading off domestic based students in favour of the higher paying internationals?Arguably favouring international students of equal academic ability over home based students due to this? Is this right?

I just think that this year a record number of students haven't got into their univeristy of preference due to increased competition from both home and abroad, and that the government should always favour the domestic students for a better trained work force.This an also be loosely seen as an act of gratitude for their parents' net contrbutions to the country, which will outweigh any tuition fee that an international student will pay.

Anyway, your views and opinions?

I do agree with you .I mean us British should at least get prioritised over international students. I know they do bring in alot of money but its not our fault there country couldnt provide them with a good university education.
icn06
Haha are you seriously talking about international students and funding?!!!

I paid 20,000 pounds this year! Brought that into YOUR economy from my country and likely funded a good amount of things provided to local students with that. We BRING money and MAKE places for you. Cut international spots and you're the one suffering :smile:

They have a point ^^
British students only pay a fraction of what their course really costs. The rest of the money stems from the fees of international students so basically if there weren't as many international sudents you'd have to pay more.
Reply 67
vnupe
I am not determined to make it one, but simply point out, though rare these cases exist. The fact that they maybe mature post-qualification applicants (again where is the proof and only speculation) or ones with extenuating circumstances is irrelevant, the fact is that they are there.

OK, then, so where is your proof that they're ill-qualified idiots who didn't deserve their places just as much as the people who were admitted after achieving the standard three As or more?
Actually you can tell to some extent, because Oxford's statistics - unlike your beloved Unistats statistics - tell you how many of the people admitted with a certain number of UCAS points applied post-qualifications. But those statistics might be wrong, because Oxford may have an agenda - ohnoez.
Seriously, I don't know how you got the impression that people were trying to deny that this happens at all. Of course it does, and why shouldn't it? You're having an argument with your own little straw man here.
Another fact is that 70 - 80 is a significant number, especially if people are going to complain and say that internationals are taking up all the places.

Is it? Out of an intake of nearly 3,000 students? And what exactly do international students have to do with this?
Here you have one of the pre-eminent universities in the UK by all intents and purposes admitting "less than qualified" by most people's standards people... This is my point more or less.

Right. And who says that UCAS tariff points are a foolproof way of determining ability in an objective manner? "Most people"?
Yes, but that's where they get the highest amount of fees from.
Reply 69
AnonymousPenguin
If you look at statistics from oxford (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/admissions_statistics/index.html) you'll find this screen:

That percentage has to do with weird valuations for alternative qualifications and not with oxford being lenient.

EDIT: Whoah, look at how many IB candidates missed their offer. 20%+ compared to less than 10% for A-level candidates.

IB rapes the souls of those who take it :frown:.
Mr Smurf
International students pay much higher tuition fees than we do though.

I thought if you stay in this country for 3 or more years then they pay the same amount as us. I read that somehere :confused:
Indieboohoo
I thought if you stay in this country for 3 or more years then they pay the same amount as us. I read that somehere :confused:

You need to have "indefinite leave to remain" and you must have been ordinarily resident for 3 years before the start of the course within the EU.
AnonymousPenguin
You need to have "indefinite leave to remain" and you must have been ordinarily resident for 3 years before the start of the course within the EU.

oh so i was partly right :biggrin:
Reply 73
Indieboohoo

Yes but international students haven't lived here for 3 years. They come here from whatever country as soon as their course starts.
Reply 74
samurijack786
i think that international student places should be cut, even more so than domestic students.

1. because half the students that come in dont even study they get most of there work done illegally by getting someone from back home to do it.

2. most of the students that come along that complete thier studies if thats what you can call it do so to later on work on thier abilites to gain permenant residence here.

3. look at how many bogus colleges and patnership universites have been busted by the home office. im sure that these institutions that add to the number of student places available. i believe that if the goverment wants to reduce university places then they should do by closing these partnership colleges that are mainly designed for bogus students.

4. and most of these bogus students are from asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) trust me i know because 1 i lived with a group as they were my house mates and 2 because i've seen many plaegerism cases turn up at my univeristy regarding these international students.

oh and one more thing allot of students that come to study dont even have the requirements listed by the home office to study here. how they get in is by cheating the system getting someone else to make there papers for them. and the universites are so greedy they dont give a damn about that they would rather have the money then check if the candidate is fit to study.
this year i bumped into a student that couldnt even speak a word of english yet he was at university studying buisness management! how did he even get a place the guy cannot speak english!!!!

i'm not racist as i'm asian myself but i believe the goverment are doing all the wrong things.

True.
Please, do spell a bit better though?
:P
Reply 75
i think international students are good for the economy and expanding a british student's experience university with an added bonus of their economic benefit the only issue with admitting a large number of international students is that when/if they return home the skills they take with them go as well so there could be a shortage of british people trained for a particular job. Also judging by my step-dad's experience as an academic postgrad is where the numbers of international students shoot way up.
Reply 76
hobnob
OK, then, so where is your proof that they're ill-qualified idiots who didn't deserve their places just as much as the people who were admitted after achieving the standard three As or more?
Actually you can tell to some extent, because Oxford's statistics - unlike your beloved Unistats statistics - tell you how many of the people admitted with a certain number of UCAS points applied post-qualifications. But those statistics might be wrong, because Oxford may have an agenda - ohnoez.
Seriously, I don't know how you got the impression that people were trying to deny that this happens at all. Of course it does, and why shouldn't it? You're having an argument with your own little straw man here.

Is it? Out of an intake of nearly 3,000 students? And what exactly do international students have to do with this?

Right. And who says that UCAS tariff points are a foolproof way of determining ability in an objective manner? "Most people"?

No one said they were ill-qualified, I said less qualified then most applicants... ill-qualified is your phrase..

Earlier I also said that admission to a university is not just based on grades and other factors are involved (tbh I could have made that statement in another thread), so I don't make that argument either. But you will admit that they are the first/main factor in deciding whether to interview or give a rejection.

Additionally, my point was that why would Unistats have an agenda? Because their stats differ from Oxford? Look it up, it was Anonymouspenguin (an admitted fanboy of Oxford) that said he was thought that Oxford's were more reliable, to which I pointed out the mission of Unistats and who they work for.. so they are not my statistics... there is a discrepancy there.. that is my whole point so someone is wrong... so no argument with my own little straw...

This thread is about international students and if they are taking up too many places, therefore if 70 - 80 places/year are being taken up by those having less than stellar academic backgrounds, then shouldn't people look at this demographic first?

As far as the UCAS tariff is concerned it is not a fool proof method, fair point, but it is a metric that most point to in discussing the calibre of student admitted to university and therefore indirectly ability. Oxford itself pride itself for taking a certain caliber of student, which is reinforced on TSR by TSRers... so to downplay UCAS tariffs at this point makes no sense at all. As you say according to Oxford stats all students have at the very least AAB (a UCAS tariff), so if it didn't matter as much, why would they quote it in their own stats?
Reply 77
reeda
I do agree with you .I mean us British should at least get prioritised over international students. I know they do bring in alot of money but its not our fault there country couldnt provide them with a good university education.

*their

Our countries can, last time I checked, though, it's a free(ish) world and I can decide that I wante to get educated in Britain for whatever reasons.

And why should universities prioritise British students over Internationals, if the latter prove to be better qualified than the former?

It's not as easy as you think it is for us; we can be accepted and then find out, for what ever reason, that we did not get the Visa to study there. Which means, that we lose our places while you take them up.

Simple.
Reply 78
You could ban overseas students tomorrow, assuming you wished to be so stupid, and it would not 'free up' a single place for a UK student. The Govt subsidises UK/EU students and only has so much cash and therefore caps the number each uni can take.

Any argument about foreign students coming over here and taking our places etc etc is just ignorant. Overseas and Home students are not competing for the same places.

Besides which, university is supposed to be about getting an education. You'll get a better one if you're not just surrounded by people with the same background/nationality etc as yourself. Even leaving aside the fact that overseas students pay above-cost fees and therefore in effect subsidise the home students, just the fact of studying in a cosmopolitan environment is a benefit in itself. The best unis aren't interested in being parochial extensions of sixth-form colleges, they're interested in being globally significant and one of the ways in which that's demonstrated is through attracting faculty and students from all over the world.
Reply 79
EDIT
I always thought universities received the same amount per student and the only difference was that international students pay for the entire thing themselves rather than get subsidy from the government?

If it is the case that international students bring the universities more money then it is EU students we need to cap. They are treated like home students, pay the same fees (cost the government the same amount in subsidy) and bring no advantage other than cultural diversity. Apply everything in your argument except finance to this and it paints a pretty picture.

Well, replace EU students by more students, that means more maintenance grants to give out, so you would actually lose more money by letting fewer EU students and more home students in, as the only thing we can get is the loan we have to repay anyway. The same policy also applies in several EU countries, so if you happen to be able to speak another language as most of the EU does, you too could enjoy paying smaller fees than international students, if any, as there are lots of free universities in the EU (France and Sweden, for example). And also, I would believe that the goverment receives some kind of help from the EU to "pay" (pay what? The same as they do for UK students minus the grants? That's saving money, rather.) for all those EU students, so it's only fair, after all.

Latest

Trending

Trending