The Student Room Group

AS grades... (Help needed!)

Basically, I don't think I'm going to get the predicted A2 grades I need to get interviews (let alone offers) from the Univeristies I want to go to (Exter n' stuff) because I'm not going to get particularly good AS grades - I haven't worked hard enough. These are the grades I reckon I'll get:

English Language: A/B
Maths: B/C
Chemistry: B/C
French: D/E

Giving me a possible of best (if I'm lucky) ABBd or worst (if I'm unlucky) BCCe.

I am prepared to step it up a lot and get good grades at A2 (resits and all that jazz) and what I'm wondering is will I be able to take a gap-year and re-apply to University after with my improved A2 results?

Obviously, I will endeavour to get offers from univeristies this year and I'll write a bangin' PS to try and convince them that I am ready, willing and able to step it up with my A2 grades.

I'm worried that I'm gonna fail life lol...
Reply 1
Been wondering about this actually.

Do universities make their decisions based on what your teachers predict you for A2 or do they base it on your AS results?
D.R.E
Been wondering about this actually.

Do universities make their decisions based on what your teachers predict you for A2 or do they base it on your AS results?

they place BIG emphasis on predictions...not what you have...afterall, you could either completely flop/own A2...and so your AS grades wouldn't be the best indicator, as opposed to teacher who will know if you will own/flop or get working or not...problem is though when teachers refuse to help you out
Reply 3
infernalcradle
they place BIG emphasis on predictions...not what you have...afterall, you could either completely flop/own A2...and so your AS grades wouldn't be the best indicator, as opposed to teacher who will know if you will own/flop or get working or not...problem is though when teachers refuse to help you out

Help you out?

Do you ask them to give you better predictions then?
Reply 4
Thing is from what I've heard from my own teachers and admission tutors-they do notice when your predictions are "inflated" from what they should be. I heard from a couple of admissions people (from Oxbridge) that they do know which schools tend to over-predict grades and do take this into account. Going from a B to an A* would look a tad weird but as long as its justified in your reference, it should be fine. I don't know whether it's a way of scare-mongering potential applicants but this is what I've heard. Hope it helps!
Reply 5
Oh and if it makes you feel any better I'm in the same situation as you-I'm in the position where one mark lost would result in a B from an A*. Plus I royally screwed up another test. But seriously don't worry-I even resorted to calculating possible UMS scores (which shows how neurotic I am) but at least now we know what preparation A-Levels entails. Concentrate on the future and don't let your past hinder you. AS and predicted grades are just a portion of the overall criteria. There is still the personal statement, admissions test (for law/med) and interviews. And building a good relationship with your teachers will help-maybe it can boost your predictions, if not-it will still help with your reference.

I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Blutarsky
Help you out?

Do you ask them to give you better predictions then?

Pretty much...my predictions are currently CDDE...which makes no sense, esp when I got AAAB in the Jan modules....

So, yes I will be asking to be given higher predictions...

Latest