The Student Room Group

Advice on Changing Courses

Im planning on changing courses for the sake of having a career.

ATM im studying sociology just completed year one but this is the second time I've repeated the first year due to changing courses. Due to my lack of maturity I hadn't been able to decide what I was interested in and what career opportunities interested me. Now thinking about it, Im probably not going to get a good start in life with a degree in sociology. (No I do not want to be social worker, work for an NGO or become a teacher)

Therefore im thinking about changing my degree to international business with mandarin but the problem is they require me to start from the first year... again... ill have 3 years of the first year.... what should I do?
Reply 1
No offense but I think Sociology is a **** degree. What are you gonna do with it besides not doing the ones you just listed? I have a friend just graduated from UCLA with a degree in Asian American Studies. **** degree because she doesn't even know what to do with it and she's going for another BA. This time in Graphic Design.

It's worth going back to first year to pursue international business with Mandarin or something similar. But, do you need to take Mandarin? By the way, I didn't know Mandarin came in with a major. I thought it's separate unless you're double majoring, say Int. Business and Chinese?
Reply 2
Yeah i gotta agree with you it is a terrible terrible course... with not much prospect...

nah the course im looking at specifically is not a joint course, although they offer a language as one of the modules, as i've lived and been brought up in hong kong, i can speak cantonese, i thought it'd be useful to have mandarin under my belt as well
Reply 3
I think Mandarin is a great language to learn. Go for it.
Knowing a second language is always an asset and indeed languages like Cantonese, Hindi, Punjabi, Italian or ofcourse French is value added in ones career. However, it will be tough for you, if you are not aware of basic of this language, as studies at university level is very decidated and requires a lot of effort and time to focus on assignments, presentations and classes test. So getting into an extra language would surely making your effots double. Just keep this in mind!
Reply 5
jigglypuffing
Im planning on changing courses for the sake of having a career.

ATM im studying sociology just completed year one but this is the second time I've repeated the first year due to changing courses. Due to my lack of maturity I hadn't been able to decide what I was interested in and what career opportunities interested me. Now thinking about it, Im probably not going to get a good start in life with a degree in sociology. (No I do not want to be social worker, work for an NGO or become a teacher)

Therefore im thinking about changing my degree to international business with mandarin but the problem is they require me to start from the first year... again... ill have 3 years of the first year.... what should I do?
You need to check out your position with Student Finance - you probably won't get loans for fees or maintenance for more than two years of this new course.

Latest

Trending

Trending