The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Anyone fancy being chucked out ....?

:frown: Hi
so basically Im this international UG student who's got St Regs for 10/11. That was fine for a while until I found out i'd be chucked out for the Christmas vacation. Does anyone have any idea how possible it is for for me to get a transfer to somewhere that offers a full contract covering the vacations?

....i'm not sure if anyone has had problems like this....and having to go half the globe back home where people try their best to make me get off my books before an impending exam :s-smilie: isn't the best idea honestly
Reply 1
I believe that's the policy across the normal-style halls. Although the more flat-like halls (DRA, Albany and Fife Park) do have contracts that cover the holidays (except summer)

Hope that makes sense :s-smilie:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Most of the catered halls do this and until recently they did it for Easter as well. I appreciate that it's hard to staff a hall over Christmas and that if lots of people leave then it's not so secure, but it's still irritating.

If you want accommodation over Christmas then I think you have a few basic options.
1) ask student accommodation and see if they'll put you in DRA, Fife Park, Albany Park or New Hall. I think New Hall might let catered people stay over Christmas but I'm not certain, you'd need to check which catered halls offer that.
2) ask student accommodation if they'd let you stay in one of those places over Christmas. Since there are JSA students I think there will be some rooms free over Christmas and in the past I think these have been offered to people in your situation.
3) make friends with a student who has a house and see if they'll let you stay over Christmas. This is probably an unwise plan IMO.
4) look for a family to stay with over Christmas (my family used to be involved in doing this - we'd have a student come and stay with us for a few days. It's a fun idea but I doubt you'd get much studying done and the Christmas holidays are quite long to stay with someone).
5) find a friend who stays more locally and spend Christmas with them and their family. One of my friends did this in first year and I think it worked well, but again you'll probably not get a big chance to study lots and it's not a reliable plan.

I think it might be worth contacting student accommodation about the first and second suggestions and see what they can do. I hope you get it sorted out.
Reply 3
mooch67
:frown: Hi
so basically Im this international UG student who's got St Regs for 10/11. That was fine for a while until I found out i'd be chucked out for the Christmas vacation. Does anyone have any idea how possible it is for for me to get a transfer to somewhere that offers a full contract covering the vacations?

....i'm not sure if anyone has had problems like this....and having to go half the globe back home where people try their best to make me get off my books before an impending exam :s-smilie: isn't the best idea honestly

well in McIntosh they dont chuck you out for inter-semester, I think that's standard across all halls.. and although they chuck you out over christmass you dont have to move anything..
Reply 4
Hi thanks a bunch for the comments......I rang the accommodation up, and basically what they told me was that they won't have any idea of the availability of the remaining places in the said self-catered halls (DRA, New Hall etc.) until all entrant undergrads have been allocated = no places for me which would cover Xmas.

so what I want to ask is, if I dont want to consider the option of finding a homestay family /friend (and it sounds bad too -i don't want to be pressured into finding a friend for the sake of a roof over my head during the Xmas...), would it be easier to find people who wants to transfer to St. Regs, and swap with them? Or is everyone holding tightly onto the self-catered?

and self-catered turns out to be my only hope of not being chucked out.....
You could be catered in New Hall and not be chucked out.Mucho expensive though.
You are allowed to apply to stay in st andrews over the winter break *i think* if you go live in another hall for a couple of weeks.
Reply 7
On a similar note: If you have to vacate for the holidays (which will be fine for me, I'm planning to go back to my family in London for the holidays), do we have to clear anything out of the rooms? E.g. clothes, books etc.
Or can they stay in our rooms until we get back?
I highly doubt I'd want to/be able to move everything back and forth all the time.
Reply 8
mikeyz54
On a similar note: If you have to vacate for the holidays (which will be fine for me, I'm planning to go back to my family in London for the holidays), do we have to clear anything out of the rooms? E.g. clothes, books etc.
Or can they stay in our rooms until we get back?
I highly doubt I'd want to/be able to move everything back and forth all the time.

Nope, you can leave stuff in your rooms. The exception is the summer. Even if you're returning to the same room after the summer, you still have to clear everything out since they're used over the summer.
Reply 9
:woo: just an idea here, do you think its at all possible to simply find someone in a self-catered full contract who may want my place in Regs instead? Getting studacc to come to attention to my case seems to be a pretty fruitless option.
with that said, I'm assuming that most ppl likes to go self-catered simply beoz it's slightly cheaper..... at least that seems to be the case

Latest

Trending

Trending