The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Steezy
Well I'm not going to get into a debate about how 'morally wrong' taking drugs is, as I can see our opinions would differ greatly.

But we're not talking about someone who took drugs there or even in the couple of months beforehand. But someboday who smoked a spliff at Christmas.

You could've been at a party in England, been in a room with people smoking weed. 6 months later, decide to go to Dubai. Then end up getting 4 years in prison for something you don't even remember!

I think that may be a bit of an exaggeration, it really isn't that bad.. I agree with Xenomorph v2.1 in the sense that it is much safer because of laws like that. Yes granted, not completely I mean you still get crime.. but it is nothing compared to the level of crime I have witnessed here in just the last 3 months - I'm not even kidding here, it is astonishing for me to come from that sort of environment and see such major differences..

It's not just about if taking drugs is morally correct or whatever, but it is fact that taking some types of drugs can lead to a very unfortunate situation, and then what? you can't go back in time and change things, so they try and be safe rather than sorry. Again, I think it does get a little bit silly when they arrest people who really weren't doing anything wrong, but at the the end of the day, if you've got nothing to hide/lie about then you're okay
Reply 21
Qoph
This insane drug laws seems to be considerably more effective than the sane European drug laws.

Where do you want to draw the line?

Where do I want to draw the line? Well that's a whole different matter, given my views on cannibis. But a view that might fit in with the warped view that it is extremely dangerous -

Possession is illegal, punishable by 4 years (as seems the norm over there), as you know the rules, don't be in possession of drugs over there. Fair enough.

Being under the influence of drugs whilst in control of a vehicle, in a place of trust or making a complete fool out of yourself in public (basically drunk & disorderly), punishable by 0-4 years, depending on the situation.

Being arrested after doing absolutely nothing wrong, after a 'tip-off' from an 'informant'. Zero penalty whatsoever. He did nothing wrong! Even if he's got drugs in his system, they shouldn't even be able to test him as he did absolutely nothing wrong!
Reply 22
Xenomorph v2.1
Having lived in dubai for 3 years, I can say regardless of the laws in terms of safety and having a civil environment it wipes the floor with britain.

I'd rather be in a place with extreme laws and no crime, than be in britain with such weak laws and all the crime in the world. Knife crime, gun crime, drugs...the list is endless.

Obviously in the media the laws of dubai are blown out of proportion, anybody who's actually lived there will know that if you're a law abiding citizen the punishments are irrelevant, because you'll never find yourself in the position. Yes, if you carry knives, guns, take drugs or rape then you do have to be worried..but who cares about the views of such criminals?

It's simple really, nobody forces people to go to dubai, if you don't like the laws then **** off. There's a reason why the world's wealthiest are all based there, testament to the great place it is.

This.

Its an Islamic country of course it is going to have strong laws. They don't take crap from foreigners its not a bad thing. Dubai has the attitude Britain needs if you come here you respect our laws.
Reply 23
Aj12
This.

Its an Islamic country of course it is going to have strong laws. They don't take crap from foreigners its not a bad thing. Dubai has the attitude Britain needs if you come here you respect our laws.

Agreed!
Reply 24
Its Dubai. When you literally translate the word, it mean "social class oppression".
Aj12
This.

This, even though the British help the Spanish economy, it doesn't meant they have to like drunken British louts being there, if there was an alternative, they would take it. Dubai doesn't bend backwards to conform to foreigners, either accept it's law or gtfo.
concubine
As far as our drug laws go I don't believe that the government/law should have any place in saying what I can and cannot consume.

Considering that the Government is likely to be just as responsible for your health as you are, I believe they have every right in saying what you can and cannot consume.
Try Singapore :wink:
Reply 28
Magic_007
This, even though the British help the Spanish economy, it doesn't meant they have to like drunken British louts being there, if there was an alternative, they would take it. Dubai doesn't bend backwards to accept foreigners, either accept it's law or gtfo.

But in this instance, no law has been broken, surely? Unless it is illegal to enter the country if you have EVER taken drugs?

Same thing with the bloke who got 4 years for the spec of THC on his shoe. These people aren't breaking the law, they're being punished for no reason! It's not like this could deter people who were thinking of accidentally standing on a spec of cannibis before entering the country is it?

There's enforcing the law, and then there's punishing people for not even meaning to/possibly ever know they were breaking the law
Steezy
But in this instance, no law has been broken, surely? Unless it is illegal to enter the country if you have EVER taken drugs?

Criminal law would be so much simpler if the defendant always told the truth.
Reply 30
Phalanges
Considering that the Government is likely to be just as responsible for your health as you are, I believe they have every right in saying what you can and cannot consume.

Come again?!
Reply 31
Phalanges
Criminal law would be so much simpler if the defendant always told the truth.

I didn't say anything to do with telling the truth or not. This guy did tell the truth - he smoked a spliff at Christmas. He obviously had no idea that a) it'd still be in his system and b) that he would get punished for it.
Steezy
Come again?!

The Government is responsible for your health in so much as it provides a national health service. If there were no legislation to say what you could not put into your body the amount of certain drug-related conditions would skyrocket, and the NHS would be expected to deal with the increased demand which it wouldn't be able to do.

So, unless there is no form of public health then the government has every right to lay down legislation for your health to safeguard it's own service.
Steezy
I didn't say anything to do with telling the truth or not. This guy did tell the truth - he smoked a spliff at Christmas. He obviously had no idea that a) it'd still be in his system and b) that he would get punished for it.

How do you know he is telling the truth? Or are you just super-keen to villianise Dubai?
Steezy

Same thing with the bloke who got 4 years for the spec of THC on his shoe. These people aren't breaking the law, they're being punished for no reason! It's not like this could deter people who were thinking of accidentally standing on a spec of cannibis before entering the country is it?

There's enforcing the law, and then there's punishing people for not even meaning to/possibly ever know they were breaking the law

''When we confronted him with the findings, he claimed that he consumed hashish when he celebrated Christmas in Britain.''

A: THC in marijuana is rapidly absorbed by fatty tissues in various organs. Generally, traces (metabolites) of THC can be detected by standard urine testing methods several days after a smoking session. In heavy users, however, traces can sometimes be detected for weeks after they have stopped using marijuana.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/marijbroch/Marijteenstxt.html#long

Weeks not months.
In my opinion, he has consumed it recently.
BUT, we cannot possibly know the details of the findings, thus we cannot come to accurate conclusion whether the bloke was right or not. Dubai is right to hold him until they find more information.
Reply 35
Phalanges
The Government is responsible for your health in so much as it provides a national health service. If there were no legislation to say what you could not put into your body the amount of certain drug-related conditions would skyrocket, and the NHS would be expected to deal with the increased demand which it wouldn't be able to do.

So, unless there is no form of public health then the government has every right to lay down legislation for your health to safeguard it's own service.

Fair argument. However, consider that you weren't on the NHS, and had private healthcare. Should they still be allowed to tell you what you can & can't do? Or would that be up to your new doctor?
Phalanges

You honestly believe the government has the right to tell you what you can and cannot put into your body?

My god.. i'm shocked..

And what if the government decided you can no longer drink alcohol, how would you feel about that?

Or if they decided you could no longer eat any unhealthy food - no more fried things, no more kfc, maccy d's, pizzas etc

What about if they then decided to ban any dangerous sports.. goodbye boxing, horse riding, snowboarding, mountain climbing..

So you'd be happy and perfectly fine if all the above happened? Because remember, as you said, the government has the right to tell us what to do...

It really saddens me when i see people with these kind of opinions, luckily though, the numbers are slowly falling as people start to open their eyes..
Magic_007
''When we confronted him with the findings, he claimed that he consumed hashish when he celebrated Christmas in Britain.''

A: THC in marijuana is rapidly absorbed by fatty tissues in various organs. Generally, traces (metabolites) of THC can be detected by standard urine testing methods several days after a smoking session. In heavy users, however, traces can sometimes be detected for weeks after they have stopped using marijuana.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/marijbroch/Marijteenstxt.html#long

Weeks not months.
In my opinion, he has consumed it recently.
BUT, we cannot possibly know the details of the findings, thus we cannot come to accurate conclusion whether the bloke was right or not. Dubai is right to hold him until they find more information.

Actually Cannabis can be detected in the system months after it has been consumed from a simple hair test. I think blood tests can also find it in your system months after consumption as well.
Spetznaaz
Actually Cannabis can be detected in the system months after it has been consumed from a simple hair test. I think blood tests can also find it in your system months after consumption as well.

Traces, yes.
Steezy
Fair argument. However, consider that you weren't on the NHS, and had private healthcare. Should they still be allowed to tell you what you can & can't do? Or would that be up to your new doctor?

Well yes, you can't exclude yourself from certain laws otherwise it would be impossible to police. And when that person has an acute emergency reaction to the drugs and is rushed to the hospital the chances are they would be treated on the NHS and not their private healthcare system anyway.

Spetznaaz
You honestly believe the government has the right to tell you what you can and cannot put into your body?

My god.. i'm shocked..

And what if the government decided you can no longer drink alcohol, how would you feel about that?

Or if they decided you could no longer eat any unhealthy food - no more fried things, no more kfc, maccy d's, pizzas etc

What about if they then decided to ban any dangerous sports.. goodbye boxing, horse riding, snowboarding, mountain climbing..

So you'd be happy and perfectly fine if all the above happened? Because remember, as you said, the government has the right to tell us what to do...

It really saddens me when i see people with these kind of opinions, luckily though, the numbers are slowly falling as people start to open their eyes..

Yes, the government are evil and is working against the people. What an illuminating argument.

The government has a right to try and protect it's services from being unable to cope with demand. If they were to ban alcohol they would be perfectly within their right to do so. If you chose to live in their society, you would conform to that rule. If you didn't want to conform to it, you wouldn't. Simple as that.

Latest

Trending

Trending