The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

im a veggie just because i dont like meat so i dont impose my veiws on anyone
except yesterday i had to cook my brother steak for dinner and the smell made me feel pretty sick so i told him he should be a veggie to so i dont have to cook it for him ....obviously didnt work
Reply 41
vegetarians piss me off. my vegetarian friends know they aren't invited to my house anymore loool otherwise they'll get backhanded. YOU AIN'T COMING TO MY HOUSE TO EAT BREAD AND WATER kmt
i know not all vegetarians are like this but the one i know, who i'm pretty close with is forbidden to enter my door lool
Reply 42
I wouldn't... People can eat what they want and I can eat what I want. Obviously I'd prefer more people to be veggies, but it's a completely induvidual choice, and I know that whatever I say isn't gonna change peoples views ad more likely will make then 'anti veggie'.
Are there veggies here who really hate the typical veggie stereotype? I am not an organicy, long skirted, basket weaver called Willow. I'm a normal person who eats normal food and does normal things. In all honesty I can't really preach because although I am pretty good at sticking to being a vegetarian I should make more of an effort to avoid buying things made in sweatshops, buy organic cotton, etc so I don't always follow my morals through. It annoys me that people think that I'm a veggie and will fit the stereotype.

Also, I get really annoyed with people calling veggies fussy. If I go to someone's house I will warn them just to make sure they're not offended when I don't eat something but I will always tell not to go out of their way. I really appreciate it when people will make me something vegetarian but never expect it.
rabidmonkey
Its not relevant. Sure, we may have had to hunt to survive, but that was when our diet consisted of very infrequent meals of high fat, high protein meat. But then we also used to kill each others children and live in caves, i dont see you living in animal furs drawing on cave walls in clay and refusing all modern inventions. Weve just transcended the need now, if you want to keep eating it fair play to you, enjoy it. Just not everyone feels that they should if they dont need to.

Well said.
I'm largely a vegetarian, but not necessarily from a moral stance; simply to be healthier.
I've been a vegetarian my whole life, and I never feel the need to 'preach' to anyone about it. Each to their own, y'know? I take the same view with religion. :P

I actually find it awkward when anyone brings up the topic of conversation at the dinner table, or just generally. I was at a friend's BBQ the other day, and I had to sit next to an insufferable guy that kept quizzing me about vegetarianism. "Why are you a vegetarian?" -- My parents are vegetarian. -- "Oh so you were FORCED into it?" -- The same way you were 'forced' into a meat eating diet as a child?? o__o -- "Oh yeh. SOOO, what is in a vegetarian burger?". omg, he was bloody irritating. I really didn't feel like discussing my diet and/or the contents of my food at the dinner table!

I honestly don't care if people eat meat, just as long as they don't get it too near me - I have a slight phobia. :o:
Reply 47
i'm a vegetarian but not for moral reasons.
i'm going vegan in a couple of days (when the expensive yogurt i bought is finished :P)
I just don't. I wouldn't really argue against someone who disagrees with me either really. Made my choice, you make yours.

A fair few people I know either don't know I'm vegetarian or have only just found out.

I kinda don't think "natural" has anything to do with it any more either really. What much of what we do is "natural"?
Reply 49
Thankyou whoever negged me without leaving your name. Very cowardly of you.
not at all other people can eat what they like
Reply 51
ImperceptibleNinja
For non-veggies: There is a thread here that has been created for if you want to discuss how far a veggie could impose their views on you before you were unhappy about it.
I'm specifically interested in how vegetarians feel, so if you want to discuss the issue from the meat-eating perspective then I'd appreciate it happening outside of this thread. Thanks :smile:

For mods: I've put this in General Discussion rather than Food & Drink because I'm more interested in moral/social issues than I am in recipes etc.. Please move it if it belongs better elsewhere though :o:

Back to the question...
I'm assuming there is a moral factor in your decision to be vegetarian, as I'm specifically interested in this aspect. I know vegetarianism is an individual choice but if I saw someone actively hurting an animal then I'd probably intervene, and I'm interested on how strong that urge is for you in 'smaller' instances (specifically other people eating meat). I'm interested in how far you'd go in telling people facts, telling them your personal reactions to those facts, if you'd tell them what you think they should do, if you'd tell them what they definitely should do and if you'd actively force them to do that - if someone was beating a cat in the middle of the street, I'd probably want to take one of the last two options. If they were just eating a burger then I'd probably not do anything.
Obviously it depends on who the other person is. I'm most interested in how you feel about friends/family/colleagues.
What's motivated me to ask this is eggs. I know caged eggs are cheaper and that the rest of my family eats a lot of them. The 'OMG poor chickens' part of me wants to tell my family how bad caged eggs are, and to switch to a kinder type, and if that's too expensive, then just eat fewer eggs. The 'but this is my family' part of me wonders if it's any of my business and doesn't want to hurt or upset them. They respect that I'm vegetarian so I should probably reciprocate and respect their diet choices... but I know their diet is causing unnecessary suffering. It's a situation where I can't easily see what the 'right' thing to do is, which intrigued me.

In my opinion, its up to everyone what they choose to eat - I hate it when people tell me that I should try meat and stuff and the endless questions about being a veggie :p: You know the ones...
'So, what do you ACTUALLY eat?'
'Why are you a veggie?'

'So does that mean you don't eat eggs?' No, that's called a vegan.
'Do you eat fish?' NO.

I wouldn't inflict my views about vegetarianism on other people unless they specifically asked or tried to make a huge thing about what I'm eating...
Everyone to their own :smile: - eat what you like..
Though I do enjoy the odd moral debate about it :p: Especially when I know I'm right.
Reply 52
Raised a white meat eater and turned vegetarian five years ago and love it, never go back :smile:
i dont preach it, just explain why i am vegetarian if people ask.
But what does annoy me is I do get a bit of hassle from meat eaters that really does frustrate me. I don't give them hassle for eating meat so why should they give me hassle?
I get ridiculous questions about vegetables being alive and im killing vegetables...and it's only natural to eat meat.
But it's my own choice. Though i would like my boyfriend to be vegetarian...he eats every meat which is hard for me at times! :-)
Reply 53
rabidmonkey
Its not relevant. Sure, we may have had to hunt to survive, but that was when our diet consisted of very infrequent meals of high fat, high protein meat. But then we also used to kill each others children and live in caves, i dont see you living in animal furs drawing on cave walls in clay and refusing all modern inventions. Weve just transcended the need now, if you want to keep eating it fair play to you, enjoy it. Just not everyone feels that they should if they dont need to.

AGreed, Rep :-)
Reply 54
Schmokie Dragon
I've only recently become veggie. I used to be one of those self-absorbed carnivores who was convinced that eating meat was totally justifiable because it's "natural". I enjoyed it and hated people who preached at me about my "sinnful" or "immoral" behavior.

Since converting, I've totally changed my tune. I think it is a ridiculous double standard to care about animals and hate them being abused and hurt and yet still eat mean that has been produced in commercial abatoirs and where the animals have been kept in the industrial-scale farms that supermarkets are contracted with.

My vegetarianism isn't so much about whether or not we have the right to kill animals - it's more about how the animals live and die.

If people care about the suffering of animals and about their quality of life, then eating meat is very often a direct contradiction. There is "ethical" meat - animals that have been kept in a natural manner, killed very quickly and lived a healthy life in a suitable environment with their social needs met - but it's expensive and hard to find. Even "free range" is a farce in many cases.

Given that I feel that caring for the environment and animals is a moral imperative, I believe that telling people about my diet and asking them to consider their own ethics I am doing the equivalent of directly helping animals in distress. Would most people just walk on if they saw someone beating their dog or dumping kittens in a river? No? So why do we walk on when animals are kept in cramped conditions, shipped live across entire countries to face a botched death?

I don't preach to people because the double standard is so engrained in society that subjects such as abortion, vegetarianism and religion are seen as taboo. If you try to convince people of the moral imperatives involved, you are nothing more than a self-righteous twit who needs to stfu. I know that trying to convince friends and family will just make them less likely to see things in the same way as me.

I used to have very, very little time for preachers, pro-lifers and "ethical" veggies/vegans. Now I realise that they see their way as life and views as not a matter of choice but as a matter of morality. Do we argue with people who say murder or child abuse is immoral? But somehow when someone feels equally strongly about something else they're just being preachy and annoying.

I'm not a pro-lifer - I've actualy become a lot more liberal about abortion - and I'm not religious. But now I make an effort to understand these people and talk to them on a human level since I now know what it is like to strongly believe something and have people see you as a snob and intolerant because of it.

To cut a long story short - not all choices are made equal. The choice between this CD or that CD, this dress or that dress, this film or that film - they are matters of taste nd personal judgement. They have little or no moral dimension. However, some choices are literally matters of life, suffering and death. I don't think there is any shame in trying to save a few lives and convince others to do the same and that is literally what it comes down to, saving lives.

I really liked your post and i completely feel the same way as you do about the life and death of Animals. Have you ever seen PETA'S 'meet your meat' video? (DONT watch it isf your sensitive to gore, its really heartbreaking) and it makes you realise how bad it can get. Not saying all places are like this and you can get ethical meat, but i just prefer not eating it now :smile:
Reply 55
Surely eating meat can be cheaper so for poorer families its the better lifestyle choice.
skenny7
I really liked your post and i completely feel the same way as you do about the life and death of Animals. Have you ever seen PETA'S 'meet your meat' video? (DONT watch it isf your sensitive to gore, its really heartbreaking) and it makes you realise how bad it can get. Not saying all places are like this and you can get ethical meat, but i just prefer not eating it now :smile:

I've not seen that stuff (I try to avoid the PETA) but I have seen loads of similar clips/stories/documentaries. Earthlings is very scary.
Reply 57
Aj12
Surely eating meat can be cheaper so for poorer families its the better lifestyle choice.

In what way is meat cheaper than eggs, lentils or beans? Have you ever shopped for yourself?
Reply 58
campy
In what way is meat cheaper than eggs, lentils or beans? Have you ever shopped for yourself?

And how many people live a good heathy diet off just that?
I never used to talk about my vegetarianism (IRL, at least) and whenever asked about it I shrugged it off as a decision I made as a child about 'not wanting to kill animals' and just something I've stuck with ever since. However, I recently had a change in attitude towards animals and no longer see them as commodities for humans to use and abuse as we like. I have become vegan and started to recognise the need to inform people about the exploitation that goes on within the meat and dairy industries. Note inform, not preach.

Latest

Trending

Trending