The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zidane is not overrated at all. Of all the players you have mentioned only Ronaldinho is on par with Zidane. It’s not really about how consistent they were as Ronaldinho is not a consistent player as the likes of Scholes as already mentioned, but rather it is the memories of beautiful playwork, dazzling dribbles, outrageous skills, and bewildering passes that set up goals for other players that a player such as these two have done on numerous special occasions which then sets them apart from other very good world class players.

I would include real Ronaldo in the same bracket as Zidane as well, whereas the other players you mentioned were very good world class players albeit not in the bracket associated with supreme greatness for this recent generation. Every generation I believe has just a few, currently, I think in time Messi will be associated among these elite group of players.

Really I think it's all about the degree of memories they leave on the mass footballing public.
Reply 21
Zidane was easily one of the best players to ever live.

I never saw the man put a pass wrong. He never gave the ball away.
Reply 22
This thread = :facepalm: :facepalm2:
Reply 23
Pires :facepalm2: Do I sense Arsenal tinted glasses?

All the things you listed are what Zidane had and he managed to do it for a lot longer than the likes of Ronaldinho.
Reply 24
Carlos invented goalscoring full backs :lolwut:

Pires invented what exactly :lolwut:

Bergkamp invented what about playing behind the striker :lolwut:

You are terrible at this :facepalm2:
i dont think anyone had a touch to match zidane's. I'm so glad i was alive to witness him in his playing career.
Reply 26
Without Zidane, France wouldn't have won the World Cup in 1998 or the Euro Cup in 2000.
Reply 27
Zidane was amazing. You probably saw him in that soccer aid match lol and thought he played rubbish. What makes Zidane so amazing is his sublime technique plus his aggression.
No, U!
Reply 29
Without him I doubt France would've been in the 2006 final...
ncsjohn02
FINALLY! someone with a reasoned response!

Just because others have disagreed with you doesn't make their responses less reasoned. Mentioning Pires and Roberto Carlos on the other hand... :mmm:
Reply 31
ncsjohn02
FINALLY! someone with a reasoned response! ok longevity is very controversial when you talk about maradona though. he was very inconsistent when you look at the entire span of his career, mainly due to injuries and drug problems. so your criteria on longevity is already slightly affected by maradona's inclusion as a great.

scholes has been consistent yes, but he has not been OUTSTANDING if you get what i mean, consistently, and was overshadowed by many of his teammates at times. nevertheless, along with giggs, i agree they are both legends if not in the EPL, in manu folklore.

etc.

You have some good points pal- But I honestly feel Scholes is as good as it gets. I can't see how you could actuallytechnically be even slightly better- he's that good. Just that goal against Villa shows how ******* good he is. I would say Scholes is the very best and all should be compared to him. You don't need all this finesse you're going on about. Simply in a game situation (no crappy skills or finesse :biggrin: ), I would consider him exceptional, and it's a complete joke he isn't playing for England. Scholes and Zidane on the same team would completely massacre anyone stupid enough to get in their way lol :yep:
If anything he's under-rated, specifically when some people place the likes of Pele and Henry on a higher pedestal.
Lamps08
You have some good points pal- But I honestly feel Scholes is as good as it gets. I can't see how you could actuallytechnically be even slightly better- he's that good. Just that goal against Villa shows how ******* good he is. I would say Scholes is the very best and all should be compared to him. You don't need all this finesse you're going on about. Simply in a game situation (no crappy skills or finesse :biggrin: ), I would consider him exceptional, and it's a complete joke he isn't playing for England. Scholes and Zidane on the same team would completely massacre anyone stupid enough to get in their way lol :yep:

This is the truth truely great players don't depend on flair to get them their attention and recognition, they show it by how consistent they are and how they play and influence a match. An example of this is that c.ronaldo is is an exceptional individual player but cannot consistentcy influence a game like these players.
Reply 34
DutchCruijff
If anything he's under-rated, specifically when some people place the likes of Pele and Henry on a higher pedestal.

The only way I can understand who's the best in comparing these players is by using Scholes as the key figure. He is the best, simples :biggrin: Then Zidane is slightly better than Henry. R9 in his prime was completely brilliant, but due to Scholes position on the field and how much he has to do he actually has an all round better game. Basically he has the lot, whilst Ronaldo could only show his goal scoring ability which was top notch though. That's why i use Scholes as a base because he is essentially at the heart of the game and is tested the most, and passes every single test lol.
ncsjohn02

i think i will add another criteria if anyone bothers to read up till here:

revolutionary.

greats have all revolutionized their positions and im curious to know how zidane has revolutionized (if he even did) his position with respect to others. its not immediately obvious i would say to most.

i know R9's career very well and he changed the way strikers played. he brought futsal tricks to the field, increased levels of fitness and intensity on the pitch, redefined the meaning of a comeback king. he broke records, and proved his worth in almost every top club in europe.

bergkamp - revitalised total football and brought it to england. nuff said.

roberto carlos - goal scoring full backs

etc.

Aside from the Zidane question this claim is highly dubious. Goal scoring fullbacks were around before Roberto Carlos. Carlos Alberto in 1970?

Bergkamp did nothing of the sort. Do you know what Total Football is? It's a system of fluidity based on the whole team. It is impossible for one player to instigate total football.

And Ronaldo wasn't the first to do any of the things you mention.

It's very difficult for players to revolutionise a position because that is a tactical decision. Managers usually do that. e.g. Pele's false 9 role was introduced by the manager to avoid being marked out the game.
Maybe Beckenbauer did by himself???

Edit: Zidane won his side a World Cup final and Champions League final. He turned up in big games consistently. He turned up at big moments (remember England at Euro 2004?). He was good at dribbling, passing and set pieces. He was more rounded than anyone else who played at his time. Including Ronaldo.
Reply 36
Phonicsdude
Aside from the Zidane question this claim is highly dubious. Goal scoring fullbacks were around before Roberto Carlos. Carlos Alberto in 1970?

Bergkamp did nothing of the sort. Do you know what Total Football is? It's a system of fluidity based on the whole team. It is impossible for one player to instigate total football.

And Ronaldo wasn't the first to do any of the things you mention.

It's very difficult for players to revolutionise a position because that is a tactical decision. Managers usually do that. e.g. Pele's false 9 role was introduced by the manager to avoid being marked out the game.
Maybe Beckenbauer did by himself???

Edit: Zidane won his side a World Cup final and Champions League final. He turned up in big games consistently. He turned up at big moments (remember England at Euro 2004?). He was good at dribbling, passing and set pieces. He was more rounded than anyone else who played at his time. Including Ronaldo.

How about Scholes?- I would probably edge Scholes to be honest. I know they have different games in a way, but if you had to pick one in their prime, I would probably go with Scholes.
Lamps08
How about Scholes?- I would probably edge Scholes to be honest. I know they have different games in a way, but if you had to pick one in their prime, I would probably go with Scholes.

Zidane said Scholes was the best midfielder he ever played against. I think Zidane was the better dribbler.
Reply 38
Phonicsdude
Zidane said Scholes was the best midfielder he ever played against. I think Zidane was the better dribbler.

Damn straight- Tbh i didnt see so much of Zidane. I just think Scholes is a more calm player. Both can doing the very best thing, but it's almost as if Scholes does it when its needed rather than on a whim- It's like you weren't expecting it, but it turns out to be exactly the right thing to do at that time, where as Zidane would do something that didn't always turn out to be the correct thing, or relied on more luck from other players positioning. Scholes reads the game better basically and knows how others will react depending on what he does. And I like his shooting more....
Reply 39
I would say Ronaldinho could match Zidane. However Ronaldinho was only brilliant for a few years while Zidane was brilliant for a longer period.

Zidane was just better than the rest using your criteria. Significantly better than Cafu, R.Carlos and Pires anyway.

Latest