The Student Room Group

Heavily sedated from prescription pills, worth informing exams tutor?

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping you'll all be nice to me.

I suffer incredibly badly from chronic hayfever, which gets so bad that I can end up sneezing up blood and be effectively blinded, and obviously hayfever season is exactly when exams are. So I went to my doctors and she prescribed me some incredibly strong antihistamines, an inhaler, special eyedrops and put me on a course of steroids.

The side effects of all of these, bar the inhaler is a feeling of fatigue and feeling 'high'. So, I currently feel like I've smoked a fair bit of weed and had about 6 drinks, except with a shorter attention span. I even have to sit down for about 10 minutes when walking up and down the stairs just to chill out.

Obviously, this isn't exactly the best state to be in during exams, so I have a choice of not being able to revise or do my exams effectively due to being high as a kite, or as a result of my hayfever. Neither of these is going to help me in my uni applications.

Would it be worth letting my exams officer/tutor my situation so she can inform the exam boards? Would they take this into account while marking my exams? Or would they just give me my predictions? I'm not really sure, hopefully they'll take this into account, and this is really pretty unfair as there's no way I'll be able to work to my full ability.

Cheers
Reply 1
spitfire355
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping you'll all be nice to me.

I suffer incredibly badly from chronic hayfever, which gets so bad that I can end up sneezing up blood and be effectively blinded, and obviously hayfever season is exactly when exams are. So I went to my doctors and she prescribed me some incredibly strong antihistamines, an inhaler, special eyedrops and put me on a course of steroids.

The side effects of all of these, bar the inhaler is a feeling of fatigue and feeling 'high'. So, I currently feel like I've smoked a fair bit of weed and had about 6 drinks, except with a shorter attention span. I even have to sit down for about 10 minutes when walking up and down the stairs just to chill out.

Obviously, this isn't exactly the best state to be in during exams, so I have a choice of not being able to revise or do my exams effectively due to being high as a kite, or as a result of my hayfever. Neither of these is going to help me in my uni applications.

Would it be worth letting my exams officer/tutor my situation so she can inform the exam boards? Would they take this into account while marking my exams? Or would they just give me my predictions? I'm not really sure, hopefully they'll take this into account, and this is really pretty unfair as there's no way I'll be able to work to my full ability.

Cheers

You should definitely tell your exams officer/tutor.

You may or may not get any advantage from this, but nobody here will be able to tell you what will actually happen (though I wouldn't be too optimistic about getting to use your predicted grades). Ask them ASAP!
Reply 2
Ask!!!!
Reply 3
Cheers for the replies guys, I've called the school and the exams officer is currently busy, but the receptionist said she's get her to call me back when she's free.

Does anyone know of anyone that's been in a similar situation?
maybe keep off the grass? do you get hayfever whilst indoors?
Reply 5
Is it worth you sitting some exams in the January session?
Reply 6
Yep, I get it while indoors too, I'm ridiculously sensitive to it, so the slightest amount of pollen in the air will set me off. Also, just called the doctors and I can't just stop taking the steroids, the ones which are causing the problem, as these will cause even bigger and potentially life threatening problems, so I just have to finish the course.

I could sit them in the January session, but that would mean taking a year out to resit them (I'm in my second year of college now, doing my A2s), which isn't what I'm planning on doing, but then if it needs to be done then it has to be done, doesn't it?
Reply 7
Duckandthat
maybe keep off the grass? do you get hayfever whilst indoors?

If only it was as simple as avoiding plants. Yes, people do still suffer from hayfever whilst indoors unfortunately.

Latest