The Student Room Group

english lit a level exam :( pleaseeeee help please

well I completely messed up in english literature today

I didn't look at time, wrote everything I knew about context, then realised I had about 15 mins left to write a conclusion

are conclusions really important? I did Milton and Marlowe for poetry, and was told that context will get you the most marks so spent most of the time writing about their context (religion & background etc) and hardly answered the question :frown: do you think I will have done really badly? REALLY WORRIED :frown:
Reply 1
I did this too, ha. Don't worry about it, the context IS highly weighted, but should be relevant to the points you're making about the texts...
Did you do much comparison?
Conclusions aren't necessary, the examiners just like them as they tie up your arguments, but you can do well without them :smile:
Reply 3
Which question did you do? We also did Milton and Marlowe and I did no.5 which i thought was ok.
I'm much more worried about the Othello questions for Section A found them sooo difficult. :frown:
Reply 4
I wrote down loads about the authors history mainly, then made a few comparisions but I'm scared that it will just look like I randomly put down bits of information, some don't link together

I got a B in the as, and a B in the coursework, do you think I should at least get a C??

I kinda need a B though :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 5
Just try and put it out of your mind instead of picking apart your performance? Do you have more exams? If so just get started working towards them, if not do something to relax and that you enjoy. I know it's hard not to worry about it but worrying won't do anything, try to keep it out of your mind till the 19th :smile: You never know you might be pleasantly surprised.
Wouldn't worry, I've been reading model scripts from a couple of years ago and their conclusions were brief at best. I'm doing AS and my conclusion (albeit perhaps not needed as much as at A2) was merely 10 minutes-worth of writing.
Reply 7
ABDY
Which question did you do? We also did Milton and Marlowe and I did no.5 which i thought was ok.
I'm much more worried about the Othello questions for Section A found them sooo difficult. :frown:

for Othello I did something about how Iago as a character is fasinating for the audience... that wasn't that bad, but I could have written so much more and my conclusion was literally one line
I just wrote about how he is fascinating because he is so inhuman and complex, and how they use animal imagery and soliloquies to see his view, I tried to put in as many critics as I could....

for milton and marlow it was something about how the weaknesses of the heroes are fascinating ... I spent ages describing the era of Milton, and then spent too long saying how Satan is a hero, which isn't the question :frown: :frown:
so I quickly wrote 5 lines trying to show that pride was their weaknesses but struggled cause I was in a rush
Reply 8
I spent 5 mins if that on conclusion...I ran out of time and thinking that I probably failed... :]
Reply 9
Im sure you will be ok :smile:
Sounds like you did well in the Othello question, better than me anyway...
They will love all the context stuff, not sure about Satan being a hero we've kind of been warned away from that, but i'm sure you've done fine, i need a B too fingers crossed we will get it :smile:
Reply 10

Latest

Trending

Trending