The Student Room Group

Classifications

Hiya,

I've just completed my third year of university (yay!) and I'm now thinking about classifications.

I know what honours are, and what first/second/third are, but I don't understand how a 'pass' works? A third class is 40% but anything less than that is a fail, surely, or can you get a degree even if you failed modules?

Also, how would you get a degree without honours?

I'm confused, and my lecturers aren't being altogether too helpful!

Thanks in advance,

IQ x
For my degree, a pass is 30-39%, afaik.

Without honours: I've always thought I need a 2.1 to get the Honours title, but I don't know if that's an urban myh? :dontknow:
how did you manage to spend 3 years studying without finding that out?
Reply 3
morecambebay
how did you manage to spend 3 years studying without finding that out?

I wasn't studying the different types of degree class, I was studying Accountancy - passes and honours and whatnot haven't really been relevant.

The_Lonely_Goatherd
x

You can definitely get a third class honours. I heard somewhere it was about a dissertation but that doesn't make sense either :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I think for my degree (Maths with Modern Languages, UCL) I would get an honours degree if I pass enough modules overall and enough at advanced level (I think it is 10 or 11 out of 12 overall and 3 at advanced level). If I get more than 40% overall I will get a degree but if I did not pass enough of my modules I would not get the honours degree. So say I passed 9 out of 12 modules but got 100% in all of those and got 0% in my other 3. Then I would have 75% overall but failed too many modules so I would get a first class degree without honours.

At least that is what I can make out from what my tutors have said. :dontknow:
Reply 5
Stupid system :p: Better hope I don't have to worry about it!
Reply 6
30-39% is a pass and is viewed as an ordinary degree i.e. no honours so just BA or BSc etc.
40% + is viewed as an honours degree i.e. BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) etc.
I think this might be a universal thing for unis AFAIK
Reply 7
aeterno
30-39% is a pass and is viewed as an ordinary degree i.e. no honours so just BA or BSc etc.
40% + is viewed as an honours degree i.e. BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) etc.
I think this might be a universal thing for unis AFAIK

Thank you :smile: So basically 1/2:1/2:2/3 are describing the level of honours?
Reply 8
Ice_Queen
Thank you :smile: So basically 1/2:1/2:2/3 are describing the level of honours?

Pretty much, yes :smile:
I think some degrees come with honours options and some without. Check with your tutor. Some degrees I think have anything less than 40% as a fail and others have it as 30-39% being a degree but without honours ie 40%+ is an honours degree.
At my uni to get honours you gotta do dissertation! if you choose not to, no honours!
Reply 11
I know that when I applied it was for an honours degree...

Every time I try and bring it up they either don't reply or reply with "Don't be so negative!". I just want to scream at them "You were NOT in that exam with me, I assure you, I am not going to be achieving a first class honours degree here."

Latest

Trending

Trending