The Student Room Group

WJEC LT4 English Literature today!

From what I've gathered from my school, and another school I know...EVERYBODY found it tough! I do Blake, and I did the social commentary essay with the Armitage poem, then for King Lear/Oedipus Rex, I did the deception one! For every practise essay I did on Lear I got 38-full marks, apart from a deceit one where I only got a B-! I just found there wasn't many play quotes/critics that you could say!

How did everyone here find it? :smile:
xxxxxxxxxxx

Scroll to see replies

For the first question, I did social commentary on the last poem (can't remember the name of the poem now, it's the small one by William someone). The second question I did King Lear/Oedipus, I chose the one about right/wrong and good/evil. I found it OK, not sure I did super well but I hope I did decent at least, I did revise lots for it.
Reply 2
I considered that question, but didn't think I could go into enough depth :frown: I definitely did lots of revision...just my strong points were blindness, fate/destiny, order and duty and I thought at least ONE would come up! Eurgh, well, I hope they take that into account!
Reply 3
1st question I chose the humour in poetry option and linked it with the Armitage poem....that was an arduous task in itself....:frown:

2nd question....Hamlet/Revenger's Tragedy....I chose the Ophelia and Gertrude question....I thought it was going to be a lengthy task....but I quite enjoyed writing it :smile:

All in all I found the exam fair :smile:
CherryCherryBoomBoom
For the first question, I did social commentary on the last poem (can't remember the name of the poem now, it's the small one by William someone). The second question I did King Lear/Oedipus, I chose the one about right/wrong and good/evil. I found it OK, not sure I did super well but I hope I did decent at least, I did revise lots for it.

Exactly the same as me! Even the poem :p:
danielharris627
Exactly the same as me! Even the poem :p:

:eek2: Seriously? Wow, talk about coincidence, haha. Can you remember what the name of the poem and poet was? I know it was about 8 lines and it's subject was questioning life and death basically.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
:eek2: Seriously? Wow, talk about coincidence, haha. Can you remember what the name of the poem and poet was? I know it was about 8 lines and it's subject was questioning life and death basically.

Walter Raleigh I believe :smile:
I'm pretty sure they spelt his name wrong as well, they left out the 'i' I swear :tongue:
Reply 7
I took it and found it HORRID, one guy walked out. ha. I did the one of right/wrong/good/bad for King Lear & Oedipus but don't think I got the jist, did you guys put in Critics quotes/interpretations? I hardly did any AO4 though :frown: eek. And for I did the Wife of Bath with the humour question and the Armitage poem which was VERY hard and argh.
Reply 8
Wife of Bath - Armitage - Social Commentary
Hamlet - Revengers Tragedy - Gertrude and Ophelia.

Found it alright really, though Hamlet seemed iffy at first, but was cool when I got into it.
Loved WOB!
danielharris627
Walter Raleigh I believe :smile:
I'm pretty sure they spelt his name wrong as well, they left out the 'i' I swear :tongue:

Ah, that's the one, found it, thanks. I can't remember myself if they spelt his name wrong :dontknow:. I'm sure the poem had a longer name, I can't remember it now, but I just found it on this page titled as just "Life".
http://www.poetry-online.org/raleigh_life.htm
Reply 10
Poetry: Blake, John Clare's 'May', social commentary question.

Blake does nothing but criticise society (and thankfully I had made a mind map entitled "all the things that Blake doesn't like" the night before), so I picked up on alot of nature stuff in 'May', education, and then went on to discuss Blake's view of religion (where I strayed away from the unseen heavily haha). Used Rousseau as my critic, but like 3 different quotes from him because I couldn't think of anyone else.

Drama: Faustus/Tempest, morality question.

Amazing! Wrote about the pursuit of power, tyranny, knowledge, magic, and hubris. Used Hobbes, Machiavelli and Bacon as critics.

I thought it was really good.
Sledge2345
1st question I chose the humour in poetry option and linked it with the Armitage poem....that was an arduous task in itself....:frown:

2nd question....Hamlet/Revenger's Tragedy....I chose the Ophelia and Gertrude question....I thought it was going to be a lengthy task....but I quite enjoyed writing it :smile:

All in all I found the exam fair :smile:

I'm so glad somebody else chose Armitage for the humour question! When I got out of the exam and said I'd done that, everybody thought I'd gone off my rocker :eek3: I didn't realise the boys with the 'wobbly heads' were disabled. Whoops.
Which poet were you doing?

I found it fair too, although I didn't have a clue about deception in Oedipus - apart from Oedipus himself is deceived, and deceives Thebes without realising. And the spynx deceives, and Oedipus sees through the riddle but cannot 'see' himself.

I was reeeally surprised at how much I managed to remember.
For those of you who did the Gertrude/Ophelia question - what did you interpret "dramatic importance" as being? I just saw it as a way into discussing their characters and Shakespeare's presentation of them. That's not bad, is it? :frown:
Reply 13
charliebrownnn
For those of you who did the Gertrude/Ophelia question - what did you interpret "dramatic importance" as being? I just spoke about the two of them in the play. That's not bad, is it? :frown:

I did the same. Their dramatic importance can be plot. Which I assume is how you did it? It will be fine :smile:

It was really just 'theme of women' wasn't it?
Sequin
I did the same. Their dramatic importance can be plot. Which I assume is how you did it? It will be fine :smile:

It was really just 'theme of women' wasn't it?

EDIT: Stupid question.

Oh, by the way, can we all agree that the "comedy" question in Hamlet was perhaps the most ridiculous question in the world?
Reply 15
charliebrownnn

Oh, by the way, can we all agree that the "comedy" question in Hamlet was perhaps the most ridiculous question in the world?

agreed.
Reply 16
To the people discussing the Sir Walter Raleigh's poem 'On the Life of Man' ('Life'), I used it to compare but it didn't click who the poet was because of exam nerves and I think the WJEC did spell his name 'Ralegh' for some reason.

Did anyone know what the poem was actually about? I loosely connected it to society.
sebgreen
To the people discussing the Sir Walter Raleigh's poem 'On the Life of Man' ('Life'), I used it to compare but it didn't click who the poet was because of exam nerves and I think the WJEC did spell his name 'Ralegh' for some reason.

Did anyone know what the poem was actually about? I loosely connected it to society.

I used it for the ambiguity question (which not many people answered, worryingly). I viewed it as a reaffirmation of Shakespeare's "all the world's a stage..."; but forced another meaning on it entirely to suit my purpose. Which I'm pretty sure everybody did.

Does anybody else feel really weird after completing an exam this year?
Reply 18
charliebrownnn

hahahaa.

my friends have been facebook statusing about this all afternoon. Example. 'oh im just chilling here reading Hamlet lmfao, Horatio = What a buzz!'

Hahahaaa. Chav style status + exam reference = win :rolleyes:
Ahh I did this today.

I did Blake for the Social Commentary question - used 'The Divine Image' to discuss religious commentary, 'London' to discuss commentary on industrialisation ect and then the last stanza of 'London' plus 'The Fly' (my favourite poem, was pleased to be able to slip it in) to discuss commentary on life - using the first poem, by Simon Armitage alongside. Though I'm not sure I used the unseen poem enough tbh :frown:

Second question I did Ophelia and Gertrude question - basically just rambled on about how they acts as catalysts, and discussed how critics would argue that their main dramatic importance would be to show the males' characters by how the men react to them - wrote a page on that, and then said however i dont agree and talked some more about the revengers tragedy and hamlet stuff.
Critic stuff I just blagged it lol, talked about critical theories without naming a particular critic lol, as I ran out of time in revision, didn't get a chance to actually learn them.

Think it went allright. Hoping for a B - got an A last year, but I got on a whole lot better with Heaney and David Mamet (and the use of the texts in the exams!!)

Ohhh I also agree that the Comedy Question for Hamlet was, well, a joke. Complete waste of a question; 24 people in my class, not one of us felt able to answer it.

Latest

Trending

Trending