The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i don't think it really matters for GCSE because i did btec ict.
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
H0shy
I dont get you lol:s, the question i was trying to ask was, how BTEC first diplomas are perceived by unis, if they do actually use them to see how "good" you are, in the same way they use GCSE's to choose people for competitive courses.

(in other words, are they actually worth anything, at this level, to a uni like bristol, or oxford, etc)

what i'm saying is that they probably do accept it at gcse.
Reply 4
H0shy
I recently completed my 2 Btec Firsts in Business and ICT, earning Distinction* for each, which is (im told) equivalent to 4 A* (2 for each course).

I have been told that these are equivalent to GCSE in places like college, etc, but i'm not sure on the universitys' view of this. I have heard that most uni's dont actually count them as equivalent to GCSE's and so they do not use them to differentiate between candidates (as in the selection process). Seeing as theyre equivalent to so much, i thought i would ask here, as i'm now really unsure, and because i cant really find anything anywhere else.

Anyone know the deal? :confused:

Hi, I went down the same route as you and I'm about to finish my Btec National Diploma and the Btec 1st basically gets you onto that course and then you no longer need it really. Universities will look at your A levels or equivalent course but it obviously does help gaining 2 distinctions and it will make you more attractive! .. My advice is, do well on the Btec National if you do that and make sure you have maths and English GCSEs! No equivalent when it comes to them.

O and for you question about the standard of the Distinctions ... They're good to have I have 3 distinctions on my BND which is apparently the same as AAA but It's not because I could never get into Oxford
or Cambridge! .. I got Lancaster though which is the one I always wanted and that's ranked like 8th now!
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
H0shy
oh ok. Is it better to just ring up and ask lol (if they'd say, chances are they'd say something like "it depends" that doesnt answer my question lol)

yeah it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask them whether they'd accept it, not 100% sure that the top top unis like oxbridge would accept but i think they should.
I'm really not sure, I applied to some good universities but I did 10 GCSEs and the BTEC was just an additional thing me and few others did. I'm sure different BTECs are different to others and I'm not saying the ones you did aren't worth anything, but the BTEC I did, I literally did it in an afternoon and apparently it was worth 4 GCSEs, absolute pisstake, but at least I have it on my CV.

EDIT: Most univisities will only focus on A level grades rather than GCSE, it's only really Oxbridge I should think that take GCSE into account too. At others they will only be used to make distinctions between 2 candidates that are very similar, with a straight A GCSE candidate being prefered over a B/C candidate.
The top uni's like oxford, cambridge, UCL.... probaly will prefer GCSE's to B-tec I mean a B-tec is just coursework its alot easier and less prestigous. But as long as your not doing b-tec for a-levels you can get into a very good uni like newcastle, leeds, manchester...
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Prepare-Yourself
The top uni's like oxford, cambridge, UCL.... probaly will prefer GCSE's to B-tec I mean a B-tec is just coursework its alot easier and less prestigous. But as long as your not doing b-tec for a-levels you can get into a very good uni like newcastle, leeds, manchester...

Don't be naive. Btecs are not easy at all. If you want to succeed on a course like this you need to constantly do well, working hard over a 2 year period because it is assignment based and they come all year round not just twice or whatever when use have exams.

O and for the record .. I got offers from

Lancaster
Leeds
Newcastle
Shefield
Chester

That's from a Btec
Reply 12
Danti1988
Hi, I went down the same route as you and I'm about to finish my Btec National Diploma and the Btec 1st basically gets you onto that course and then you no longer need it really. Universities will look at your A levels or equivalent course but it obviously does help gaining 2 distinctions and it will make you more attractive! .. My advice is, do well on the Btec National if you do that and make sure you have maths and English GCSEs! No equivalent when it comes to them.

O and for you question about the standard of the Distinctions ... They're good to have I have 3 distinctions on my BND which is apparently the same as AAA but It's not because I could never get into Oxford
or Cambridge! .. I got Lancaster though which is the one I always wanted and that's ranked like 8th now!

Yep, it is a solid top 10
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14
H0shy
Congrats.

Did get the 3 distinctions at the national diploma level, or first diploma level (i.e GCSE level)?

3 Distinctions National diploma
Deleted
(edited 3 years ago)
Danti1988
Don't be naive. Btecs are not easy at all. If you want to succeed on a course like this you need to constantly do well, working hard over a 2 year period because it is assignment based and they come all year round not just twice or whatever when use have exams.

O and for the record .. I got offers from

Lancaster
Leeds
Newcastle
Shefield
Chester

That's from a Btec

For GCSE their pretty much the same but at an advanced level a b-tec is easier than a proper A-level. Both require the need to constantly do well. Besides the government introduced b-tec's as an alternative for people who do not do well in exams. And you have reinfored my earlier point all your offers are very very good uni's but their not top ones like oxford and cambridge.
Reply 17
H0shy
Oh, my question was about first diplomas..

Yeah I've done one of them .. The one I did took 1 year and was apprently worth 4 GCSE. It's about your A levels though mate, concentrate on them.
Reply 18
Prepare-Yourself
For GCSE their pretty much the same but at an advanced level a b-tec is easier than a proper A-level. Both require the need to constantly do well. Besides the government introduced b-tec's as an alternative for people who do not do well in exams. And you have reinfored my earlier point all your offers are very very good uni's but their not top ones like oxford and cambridge.

OK fair enough but please read this and then tell me Lancaster isn't a top University.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/datablog/2010/jun/15/university-tables-spreadsheet
Danti1988
OK fair enough but please read this and then tell me Lancaster isn't a top University.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/datablog/2010/jun/15/university-tables-spreadsheet

Okay fair enough, but before you get to content please look at this:
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/stug/universityguide.php
I believe in this one, yes they both show Lancaster as top but not Number 6.

Just out of interest did you do b-tec a-levels and what course are you doing at Lancaster?

Latest

Trending

Trending