The Student Room Group

How competitive is the B.Phil. at Oxford / the M.Phil. at Cambridge?

Hey all,

I recently graduated Phi Beta Kappa (=highest academic honor offered by our school) from the University of Chicago with an A.B. in Philosophy. I'm looking into both the B.Phil. in Philosophy at Oxford and the M.Phil. in Philosophy at Cambridge. As an American student, what are my chances at either program? My overall GPA at Chicago (an extremely competitive school) was 3.78, and my philosophy GPA is a bit higher (>3.8). I also completed a senior thesis in philosophy.

Thanks everyone.
Best to contact them mate. I'm guessing the majority of people on this site wont have a clue what level of qualification you have, so u'd be best off phoning em up and asking if u have a chance
Reply 2
^ Ah, ok, good to know. For some reason admission chances to U.K. universities are a lot obscurer than U.S. ones.
Reply 3
countercouper
^ Ah, ok, good to know. For some reason admission chances to U.K. universities are a lot obscurer than U.S. ones.

No it just appears that way to you because we do different qualifications.
Reply 4
I can't speak for the one at Cambridge, but the Oxford B.Phil is ridiculously competitive. It's definitely worth a shot, but it's not like most other programs where a 3.78 from a selective school like UChicago would mean that chances of your admission are high. A few TSR members applied to it this year and all were rejected--one said she was a PBK from Smith with a 3.9 GPA, etc. etc.

I don't think your citizenship will have any effect on your application, though there are some people who will argue that your overseas status will help you, since you'd be paying much higher fees. Personally, while it MIGHT (and that's a big 'might'!) help students who are applying to less selective courses with big cohorts, it won't be taken into consideration for the B.Phil. It's so incredibly selective that I'm 100% sure they be evaluate applicants for their academic potential alone.

From what I've heard, it's a great program, and I really think you should apply! You never know what might happen, and there's no sense in rejecting yourself by not applying instead of letting the admissions team evaluate your application. Good luck!

Latest