The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Smack
But there was no subordinates coming through, as I said.

I find it hard to believe that throughout the years oil companies are unable to find the requisite amount of engineering graduates... there are thousands coming out each year globally, that trend has not waned over the years.

Plus we are talking about multinational conglomerates, not your run of the mill 'mom and pop' operation, so they have the resources and manpower to obtain the 'best' graduates... so again I say, it is either shortsighted or reckless...
vnupe
I find it hard to believe that throughout the years oil companies are unable to find the requisite amount of engineering graduates... there are thousands coming out each year globally, that trend has not waned over the years.

I don't have any data to hand except that the number of those entering an engineering degree has remained almost constant. However, this says nothing of the amount that manage to graduate, the discipline they choose or the sector they pursue employment in. I've read a report which said that over half do not end up in engineering.

Plus we are talking about multinational conglomerates, not your run of the mill 'mom and pop' operation, so they have the resources and manpower to obtain the 'best' graduates... so again I say, it is either shortsighted or reckless...

Most companies in the oil and gas are actually small players who fulfil very specific roles.
vnupe

It's not about finding the right graduates, it is about deciding not to recruit to save money. The entire energy sector including oil and gas has at some point over the last 20 year been through a period (or is in a period) of either stagnant or natural wastage regimes in staff recruitment. What this means is that there isn't the continuing stream of technical people moving through the roles within the business. Is this short-sighted? Yes, but that's what business is like. However, most firms in this area appear to have learnt their lesson and are continuing to recruit a small number of grads even in hard times to keep the conveyor belt stocked as the experienced engineers drop off the other end.
Reply 103
Smack
I don't have any data to hand except that the number of those entering an engineering degree has remained almost constant. However, this says nothing of the amount that manage to graduate, the discipline they choose or the sector they pursue employment in. I've read a report which said that over half do not end up in engineering.

Most companies in the oil and gas are actually small players who fulfil very specific roles.

No one says you have to just look in the UK, what about mining (pun intended) India and its grads... there are literally thousands over there... thousands!

Being small does not hinder you from offering grads jobs...
vnupe
No one says you have to just look in the UK, what about mining (pun intended) India and its grads... there are literally thousands over there... thousands!

From what I've heard they're not very good.

Being small does not hinder you from offering grads jobs...

No one said that.

Being small often means you can't quite offer the lucrative salaries the BP and Exxon Mobil can offer, and can't market yourself nationally or globally. It is more often than not these smaller companies which feel the pain of the skills shortage than the big players.
Reply 105
Smack
From what I've heard they're not very good.

No one said that.

Being small often means you can't quite offer the lucrative salaries the BP and Exxon Mobil can offer, and can't market yourself nationally or globally. It is more often than not these smaller companies which feel the pain of the skills shortage than the big players.

fair enough

Latest

Trending

Trending