The Student Room Group

Advice needed

hi, I am currently in my last year of A2. I know I will need to resit some examinations in January 2011. However, I do not have a good relationship with my sixth form and it is highly unlikely they will allow me to come back to sit exams in January. So, my question is, how would I go about doing these exams? Also, the exams in question are biology and chemistry, so would I have to redo any practical exams?! +rep for any good and informative answers!
Reply 1
yes u need to do the practicals again, thefore u have to come back to the schools. it doesnt matter if u dont have good relationship with sixth form as u are going to go to school just for exams and that wouldnt matter much, are u gona stay in class again?
well u can always do the exams in another collegue, so u should contact that collegue and tell them if u can do them, im quite sure they will!! ive done that too, so no prob
+REP
Try a local college or centre. Ask around, some places are nice and would let you go and sit the written exams as an external candidate. You would have to pay though.

I'm not so sure about the practical exams.
Reply 3
l0uis
hi, I am currently in my last year of A2. I know I will need to resit some examinations in January 2011. However, I do not have a good relationship with my sixth form and it is highly unlikely they will allow me to come back to sit exams in January. So, my question is, how would I go about doing these exams? Also, the exams in question are biology and chemistry, so would I have to redo any practical exams?! +rep for any good and informative answers!

Well, in my school, you can't stay to study. You go home and revise.
When exam time comes, you take the exam in school but you have to pay for it yourself.
You only redo practicals if you need to, but again, that'll cost you.
Reply 4
The only way to resit the exams are through your college's exams office, so the resits can be sat before your college 'cashes in' (this means saying to the exam board they have finished to please give them their certificate).

The only way really possible without involving your college is to enrol in the course and start again at a new college. Otherwise, your college has to be involved. Sorry.
Reply 5
l0uis

If I were you stay with your college as it's a lot of paper work and confusion in transferring your stuff from one college to another. I'd just turn up for the exams, and revise home/self teach or get a tutor to teach you Biology and Chemistry stuff...

For the Chemistry, you doing OCR? I had to pay £20 to retake my practicals.. so you'll just have to turn up to college and do them. That's all...
l0uis

Doing the written exams is pretty easy as you can go to any exam centre and sit them as an external candidate, as people have said this will cost you. The practical exam may cause a slight problem if you have issues with your sixth form. You could try and sit your practical exams at the same place as your written exams, you may want to contact them early so they can notify you when the practical exams will happen. As you probably know the written exams have strict set dates, while practical exams can happen any time between September to May. Best bet is contact your current sixth form and explain what you want to do and see if you can sit them all there. If they refuse then contact other centres, your exam board should have a list of all centres within your area.

Hope that helps, and good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
l0uis

I'm in the same position.

They should, speak to your exams officer and your HOY.

Explain the situation, if your willing to pay say (if you are) (convincer) as you'd have to pay if you went anywhere external.

I was looking at exam fees for Philosophy in Jan 2011 and I was quoted £50 per exam and thats not even the late fee lol :eek:

If the school say no (unlikely) then find an external centre that will take you on, and pay before the late fee kicks in, which i think is around late Sept/Oct

Couldn't you just keep your practicals and redo the exams?

Talk to your exams officer.
Reply 8
Thank you for the replies so far. There has been a couple of contradictions/confusions so I will try to clarify. I do not want to resit my practicals as I have decent grades, will I have to regardless? Also, I would like to sit them at my sixth form but that seems unlikely (their decision). Also, what is this 'cashing in' business? Once that has been done I cannot resit anything?! Thanks for replies for far, names have been noted and rep will be coming.
Reply 9
Yeah, cashing in is what your college will do after you get your results, unless you tell them you are resitting.

Once the college has done the cashing in you can't resit anything again as it's final.

You only have to resit what you want to, so if you don't want to resit your practical, you don't have to.
Reply 10
l0uis
Thank you for the replies so far. There has been a couple of contradictions/confusions so I will try to clarify. I do not want to resit my practicals as I have decent grades, will I have to regardless? Also, I would like to sit them at my sixth form but that seems unlikely (their decision). Also, what is this 'cashing in' business? Once that has been done I cannot resit anything?! Thanks for replies for far, names have been noted and rep will be coming.

This is what I was confused about.

Apparently you can ask for your grades not to be cashed in and then your free to do as many resits until they get cashed in.

Thats what my HOY said, but once they get cashed in, he said to me I'd have to redo all my exams :erm:, I'm interested to see what everyone else here says too..

Latest