The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i found it pretty horrendous. apart from the long questions they were alright i thought.
Reply 2
yeh the exam was ok but it could have been better some of the questions were :/
so many suggest questions :s-smilie:
Reply 4
wat did u guys put for the question on which mutation lead to most serius consequences & why for the following:

21 base pair deletion, 13 bas pair deletion or silent mutation
Reply 5
13 base pair. Causes a frameshift, so affects the whole amino acid sequence because 13 isn't a multiple of 3, and a codon of 3 base pairs codes for each amino acid. (Sorry, not very well explained.)
Reply 6
oaktrees
13 base pair. Causes a frameshift, so affects the whole amino acid sequence because 13 isn't a multiple of 3, and a codon of 3 base pairs codes for each amino acid. (Sorry, not very well explained.)

yes :biggrin: thats exactly what i put! hopefully 3 marks in the bag...
oaktrees

I just said 13 causes frameshift of whole amino acid changing the whole primary structure. Then said somthing like even the substitution may be a silent mutation or somthng.... I FAILED that exam.

Did any1 else accept the null hypothesis and say it was down to chance? I got 0.32 for X^2 and read it off as rejected.... GAHH!!! SUCH A HORRIBLE PAPER!
neutrino!
yes :biggrin: thats exactly what i put! hopefully 3 marks in the bag...

GAHHH i was like that after the first 2 pages then came to the flies and had to start unpacking my bag!:woo:
Reply 9
oaktrees

this could also happen to the 21 base pairs......youd don;t have to delete exactly 7 triplets.......yes?...:confused:
Reply 10
what was up with that fly question - did anyone else just put 'it has legs growing out of its face' or was i missing something here ?
DR_X
this could also happen to the 21 base pairs......youd don;t have to delete exactly 7 triplets.......yes?...:confused:

It must have been suggest. You cannot choose which one is more detrimental because it depends on the gene.
Reply 12
neutrino!
what was up with that fly question - did anyone else just put 'it has legs growing out of its face' or was i missing something here ?

Yeah, in the mutant fly, it has a pair of legs instead of antennae, because the Antp gene is switched on in the head.. didn't it just say describe anyway?
Reply 13
The TSR Star.
It must have been suggest. You cannot choose which one is more detrimental because it depends on the gene.

I think they were looking for you to say what oaktrees said.. I hope so anyway :smile:
Reply 14
DnB_head
Yeah, in the mutant fly, it has a pair of legs instead of antennae, because the Antp gene is switched on in the head.. didn't it just say describe anyway?

I think so, i just thought the question was a bit bizarre, not really connected with much. Eurghh i really did not like that exam all that revision on lac operon, brain and muscles gone to waste.... think ive just kissed my chance at getting an A goodbye! ah well... fingers crossed for a B :rolleyes:
Reply 15
I thought the big questions were decent, but I hate hate HATED all the fly garbage. Completed messed up the epistasis section because, quite frankly, I didn't have a clue what it was going on about. The dopamine bit was rubbish too. I just hope the marks I got in the january modules are enough to limit some of the damage I did in today's paper :smile:
DnB_head
I think they were looking for you to say what oaktrees said.. I hope so anyway :smile:

I think it was a "suggest" question.
Reply 17
neutrino!
I think so, i just thought the question was a bit bizarre, not really connected with much. Eurghh i really did not like that exam all that revision on lac operon, brain and muscles gone to waste.... think ive just kissed my chance at getting an A goodbye! ah well... fingers crossed for a B :rolleyes:

Page 103 of the green OCR textbook if you have it :p: Typical biology exam - most of your revision is wasted :yep: The time was tough for me too.. but I was confused by the red eyes question for a long time :o:
Reply 18
The TSR Star.
I think it was a "suggest" question.

So? Oaktrees' suggestion seems sensible doesn't it?
Reply 19
I'm Glad I wasn't the only one that found it strange.

The long answer Q's were nice, the rest :confused:

Lol, I liked the flies one, it was a bit cheeky because it had sex linkage as well as epistasis it in :s-smilie:

I have Paper 1 on the 25th, and no its not a resit I'm seeing it for the first time in June :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending