The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

but neither will be able to see where you have applied...so how can they dislike it....

apply where you want and don't listen to crap that other people tell you....unless its good crap :biggrin:
Reply 2
That's a load of rubbish. :smile:
Reply 3
Not at all. Unis cannot see which other unis you have applied for and even if they could they would not know which is your first choice.
Load of ********. They don't find out who else you've applied to until you accept your offers (if then?) and by that time it's too late :smile:
infernalcradle
but neither will be able to see where you have applied...so how can they dislike it....

apply where you want and don't listen to crap that other people tell you....unless its good crap :biggrin:

however unless you are applying for vet/medicine then if your application happens to be in just before oct 15th then they tend to have a clue... :p:

however that said it shouldnt have any bearing on your application OP as they wont know they are 2nd choice until they have given you the offer!! as they are all top universities it makes sense that many of the top candidates apply to both in the hope of an offer from one
Reply 6
no problem at all really, I did it, and got an offer, and there were quite a few other people at interviews who had done the same
Reply 7
Rubbish!
Reply 8
They don't care what your second choice is and won't ask. They only care about your interests and capabilities in your chosen field.

So your friend's point is pointless.
overtherainbow
however unless you are applying for vet/medicine then if your application happens to be in just before oct 15th then they tend to have a clue... :p:

Then apply to Oxbridge before 15th of October and add your other choices after 15th of October.
why not? imperial make a great backup if you don't get into oxbridge.
Reply 11
Oh hai, I did!

Although I do see the point, I was at an advantage because I already had 2 A grades in the subjects they specified and this probably gave me a little bit of leeway... you have 5 choices though, go for it!
Reply 12
overtherainbow

No because if you're really that bothered about it you can add choices after UCAS has been sent off. So just put Oxford/Cambridge down before Oct 15th and ad Imperial etc after.

But it makes no difference anyway so not really worth the effort :p:
Reply 13
What would Imperial have if they were to reject everyone who applied before Oct 15th?
A worse batch of applicants than if they weren't to do so.

Thankfully for me, they do not do so.
Reply 14
Ok, first of all, unis don't see your other choices; secondly, you don't put them in order and third, they really wouldn't care. I imagine most of the people who apply to Imperial would also apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway. From the title, I thought you meant because it was risky with them both being so competitive. When you have your offers and you come to choose your firm and insurance, then putting one as firm and the other as insurance wouldn't be a good idea. Not because they 'wouldn't be happy' but because if you missed your firm, you'd probably miss the other too as they'd be likely to give the same offer and not be lenient.
Reply 15
Universities have no way of knowing who else you applied to, the only thing you have to think of is whether that limits your choices too much if you don't get the grades you want.... but then that's why you have 5 options anyway...
I applied before October 15th, and didn't apply to Oxbridge/Vet/Med/Dentistry. I just knew I wouldn't get it done once work kicked in...

They can't see the other uni's you've applied for, and I'm sure it would be very unfair if they rejected you assuming you had applied for Oxbridge!
TheSownRose
Then apply to Oxbridge before 15th of October and add your other choices after 15th of October.

You can do that? :confused: :confused:
Reply 18
Hit your friend with a fish...
Reply 19
Meliae
Ok, first of all, unis don't see your other choices; secondly, you don't put them in order and third, they really wouldn't care. I imagine most of the people who apply to Imperial would also apply to Oxford or Cambridge anyway. From the title, I thought you meant because it was risky with them both being so competitive. When you have your offers and you come to choose your firm and insurance, then putting one as firm and the other as insurance wouldn't be a good idea. Not because they 'wouldn't be happy' but because if you missed your firm, you'd probably miss the other too as they'd be likely to give the same offer and not be lenient.

*shudder* please take that back :zomg: I spent nearly a month debating whether or not that was a good idea!

Latest

Trending

Trending