The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
best to tell ucas and the uni. how ever you know youll be paying top up fees?
Reply 2
ok thanks alot - you always very helpful PQ - bless you! :smile:
Reply 3
do you want to do the same course when you reapply? if so it might be worth phoning and seeing if your uni will let you defer to next year.........that way you aren't charged top up fees..............
Reply 4
I had a friend who wanted to defer, he just had to phone the uni. UCAS are finished with you now...it doesnt matter if they know, what matters is the university.
Reply 5
PQ
Yes you are I'm afraid

To avoid top up fees through deferring you had to have your deferral approved in writing (from either UCAS or the uni) prior to 1st August 2005. Deferring now wont avoid top up fees.

ah ok - I take that commtn back then! I didn't realise it was too late.
Reply 6
crazy_boom
I've changed my mind, I don't want to go to uni this year, I want to take a gap year and re-apply. Now who do I contact? UCAS or straight university (where I have got confirmed accepted place)? This is possible isn't it? That I don't go this year and put an application for 2006?

That's what I'm doing :smile:
Reply 7
Guys are you nuts? Id strongly urge you to start this year to avoid the top up fees unless its urgent to take a gap year or you are rich. I mean £3000 a year is ridiculous I can't understand why this hasn't affected your decision to take a year out :confused:
Reply 8
horrorboy
Guys are you nuts? Id strongly urge you to start this year to avoid the top up fees unless its urgent to take a gap year or you are rich. I mean £3000 a year is ridiculous I can't understand why this hasn't affected your decision to take a year out :confused:

but if they're going to be truely unhappy on their initial course choice its better to take the gap year............if they start the degree and want to chagge in the second year they'll still have to pay top up fees......................or it may cost them more in the long run to retrain if they stick with their 1st choice degree
Reply 9
PQ
If you currently recieve full support then the liklihood is you'll be considerably better off under top up fees.

If you currently recive some support or are just over the income level for support then the liklihood is you'll be slightly better off under top up fees.

Whatever your parents income you're likely to recieve significantly more money to live on while you study in exchange for an effectively interest free debt with extremly reasonable repayment terms.

Im more concerned about the long term ie higher debts of people starting in 2006. Though looking at it one way I suppose it doesn't matter that much since they will have a reasonable/good income at the time of paying it all back, but still...
horrorboy

It's not outright though, just small payments after you graduate. In my case, I had my heart set on one uni, got rejected, was all set to go to another uni and then, having thought long and hard about it, realised my heart just wasn't in it and contacted the other uni to cancel my acceptance. I'm now taking a year out and I'm very glad about it - felt I needed a break from education, not to mention that I've decided to apply for a different course which I feel is more suited to me.
Reply 11
JackieS
but if they're going to be truely unhappy on their initial course choice its better to take the gap year............if they start the degree and want to chagge in the second year they'll still have to pay top up fees......................or it may cost them more in the long run to retrain if they stick with their 1st choice degree

True but if I was them Id do all I could to avoid the fees but thats just me.. :redface:
Reply 12
Reapplying is definitely the right thing to do if you're not sure..........speaking from experience here. I should have taken a gap, resat and reapplied after I finished my a-levels. Instead I settled for another degree that I was lead to believe would allow me to do what I wanted to do in the long term. After completing my degree I realised this wasn't the case so I have been working for a year and have no been accepted on my first choice degree 4 years later................

because I dind't go with my gut instinct I'm going to be 24k in debt istead of 12!
Reply 13
PQ
big debt small debt - it's all paid back at the same rates (~£40 a month on a £20,000pa salary)...just a bigger debt will take a few extra years to repay.

Yup, it's just like having an extra mobile phone bill. Not a bad price to pay for a world-class education :smile:
Reply 14
nikk
Yup, it's just like having an extra mobile phone bill. Not a bad price to pay for a world-class education :smile:

PLUS its always nice to know that if you don't pay it al back within 25 years the balance gets wiped!
Reply 15
PQ, you're right. If I go to university next year, all my fees would be paid and I'd get the normal £1000 grant, and if I get a place at manchester i'd get £5000.00 scholarship per year :biggrin: (cause of my parents income and my academic results)

Also, another question, say I start uni, and then I don't like it, can I drop out in the middle of the year and apply through ucas for 2006?(I know this would cause problems)
Reply 16
PQ (or anyone else that knows) - I know this is a change of subject slightly but I was wondering if you had any idea. Even though I'll be going into my second year next year (hopefully! :smile: ) would I be able to ask them to treat me as if i was a 'new' student joining for the second year as I would be much better off under next years system.
Hope that makes sense. Thanks
Reply 17
I'll try that then. Thanks very much for your help.

Latest

Trending

Trending