The Student Room Group

SPS at Cambridge

Hello everybody, I got an offer to study SPS at Clare. I was just wondering who else got offers to study SPS?
I know it's a little early (but worrying is my hobby ;-) ) but I was just wondering what kind of future plans you have. What do you plan do after Cambridge? I thought about the EU, but I am really not sure at all. What about you guys??
thanks for your replies (I hope there will be some)
Reply 1
sorry for all the errors....
Reply 2
tomek J.
Hello everybody, I got an offer to study SPS at Clare. I was just wondering who else got offers to study SPS?
I know it's a little early (but worrying is my hobby ;-) ) but I was just wondering what kind of future plans you have. What do you plan do after Cambridge? I thought about the EU, but I am really not sure at all. What about you guys??
thanks for your replies (I hope there will be some)

Hey... I got a offer from St johns! Now im just hoping i make the grades! I havent got a clue what I want to do in the future... maybe advertising, law or maybe even something academic! What was your offer and what do u plan to major in?
Reply 3
cool_guy769
Hey... I got a offer from St johns! Now im just hoping i make the grades! I havent got a clue what I want to do in the future... maybe advertising, law or maybe even something academic! What was your offer and what do u plan to major in?

wow...you can't believe how relieved I am somebody answered to this thread...felt like a total looser after nobody replied ! ;-)
Actually, I got an unconditional offer because I took a Gap Year (I applied to Cambridge last year for law but I was pooled and told that law is not for me!). I like SPS because there are many different things to do, so I am not sure what to major in. Politics is probably my first choice, I guess it leaves many options open, whereas if I major in Psychology there is probably not much left that I can do (although Psychology does seem attractive to me). I doubt that I will major in Sociology, though I find it interesting I know that nobody will take you serious if you say that you studied sociology! I also heard that the SPS Faculty is quite troubled because 90% of SPS students choose to do Politics...we'll see how it goes. At my interview I even asked the interviewers what one can do with SPS, and they were like "ah..well....they become lawyers and professors...";...mmmh, I'm probably just as helpless as you are...but I am sure we will find out pretty early what we like as soon as we get to Cambridge. I wish you good luck with your exams, what was your offer, by the way? And in which subjects? I'm sure you'll get the grades, and with SPS they usually don't have enough places to calculate those people in who don't make the grades. In other subjects, for example, they make 13 offers although they only want 9 pepople...at Clare they only took 3 SPS people so I don't think they made 5 offers because they were expecting two not to get in...have you heard of that?
Reply 4
i still havetn heard nething :frown: dont think ill b doing sps after all!
Reply 5
Tina
i still havetn heard nething :frown: dont think ill b doing sps after all!

I'm sorry to hear that...what are your alternative unis? I got an offer for European SPS at UCL, the course is really good too, I think I would have gone there if I had been rejected from cam...what did you plan to do after SPS anyway?
Reply 6
hi... Dont give up hope yet I dont know anyone who has heard bk yet!
I got a offer of AAB and it has to be in religious studies, history and psychology! I should get the grades but I worry alot!
I really want to know how many people applied for SPS! do u know how to find out?
Reply 7
cool_guy769
hi... Dont give up hope yet I dont know anyone who has heard bk yet!
I got a offer of AAB and it has to be in religious studies, history and psychology! I should get the grades but I worry alot!
I really want to know how many people applied for SPS! do u know how to find out?

last year, about 500 people applied for 100 SPS places...concerning St. Johns I really don't know, if you call them with some kind of pretext question (fees or something like that), you can also ask them about the applications for SPS (I did that and they told me straight away). DO tell me how many applied for how many places, I'm curious to know too. Good luck with your exams, you will definitely get the grades!
Reply 8
tomek J.
I'm sorry to hear that...what are your alternative unis? I got an offer for European SPS at UCL, the course is really good too, I think I would have gone there if I had been rejected from cam...what did you plan to do after SPS anyway?

well im gonna study politics if i dont get into sps...got an offer from nottingham, still to hear from the LSE & Warwick
I wanna go into Political Journalism
Reply 9
tomek J.
last year, about 500 people applied for 100 SPS places...concerning St. Johns I really don't know, if you call them with some kind of pretext question (fees or something like that), you can also ask them about the applications for SPS (I did that and they told me straight away). DO tell me how many applied for how many places, I'm curious to know too. Good luck with your exams, you will definitely get the grades!

crafty :wink: :tongue:
Reply 10
Tina
well im gonna study politics if i dont get into sps...got an offer from nottingham, still to hear from the LSE & Warwick
I wanna go into Political Journalism

sounds really interesting...*looks in awe* for knowing already what you want to do..I'm sure you'll be great and discover some political scandals ("the Tina-Gate Affair ;-)).
good luck with your other unis..did you apply for international relations or for Government at LSE?
Reply 11
tomek J.
sounds really interesting...*looks in awe* for knowing already what you want to do..I'm sure you'll be great and discover some political scandals ("the Tina-Gate Affair ;-)).
good luck with your other unis..did you apply for international relations or for Government at LSE?

lolz...i like the sound of Tina-Gate affair! ive always wanted to do journalism since i was 8....i think some people have to experience more before they make a career decision like that...for me writing newspaper articles in english was enuf!! lolz. i applied for gvt but if i got in and went there id prob take some int relations courses which you can do! thanx and good luck to u too!
Reply 12
boygenious
what's SPS?

Social and Political Sciences :smile:
Reply 13
boygenious
so basically politics??

not only. Obviously "Political Science" is the study of Politics, but "Social Sciences" involves Sociology, Social Psychology, and even Social Anthropology.
Reply 14
Tina
lolz...i like the sound of Tina-Gate affair! ive always wanted to do journalism since i was 8....i think some people have to experience more before they make a career decision like that...for me writing newspaper articles in english was enuf!! lolz. i applied for gvt but if i got in and went there id prob take some int relations courses which you can do! thanx and good luck to u too!

you too! let me know if you know anything about cam (sth. definite) or other unis!

Latest