The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I've moved my old STEP link to a new location and updated it. It now has every STEP exam ever published (1987 - 2008 inclusive) as well as these bonus files:

1) STEP Specification
2) 1997 Hints and Answers
3) 2006 Hints and Answers
4) 2007 Solutions
5) 2007 Examiners' Report
6) 2008 Solutions
7) 2008 Examiners' Report
8) STEP Booklet (Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics - 2 drafts)

http://dau.tibbius.com/STEP.zip

In addition, I've uploaded every AEA paper from 2002 - 2008 + mark schemes + examiners' reports (and 2001 + 2002 specimen papers).

http://dau.tibbius.com/AEA.zip

Enjoy :smile:
Swayum
I've moved my old STEP link to a new location and updated it. It now has every STEP exam ever published (1987 - 2008 inclusive) as well as these bonus files:

1) STEP Specification
2) 1997 Hints and Answers
3) 2006 Hints and Answers
4) 2007 Solutions
5) 2007 Examiners' Report
6) 2008 Solutions
7) 2008 Examiners' Report
8) STEP Booklet (Advanced Problems in Core Mathematics - 2 drafts)

http://dau.tibbius.com/STEP.zip

In addition, I've uploaded every AEA paper from 2002 - 2008 + mark schemes + examiners' reports (and 2001 + 2002 specimen papers).

http://dau.tibbius.com/AEA.zip

Enjoy :smile:

Surely, it's a little too early to be looking at STEP papers?
Reply 222
alexmahone
Surely, it's a little too early to be looking at STEP papers?

Why? Think of it as supplementing your A level studies with questions which are harder than you'd normally encounter. You don't have to treat them as mock papers
For those applying to Cam/Warwick - when will you start to look at STEP?

For those who have already passed and met thier offers - when did you start to look at STEP questions? And how often? and using what materials e.g. Siklos booklet/past papers?
theultimate

For those who have already passed and met thier offers - when did you start to look at STEP questions? And how often? and using what materials e.g. Siklos booklet/past papers?

Answering the first question, already started.
Reply 225
theultimate

My STEP preparation was scattered over 2 years. There were times in my first year where I'd do the odd question (and fail miserably most of the times), mostly around May. Then I restarted around September but gave up around October. Then, again, a few scattered questions around January. Around March though I got a bit more serious and started doing it on a weekly basis (so like maybe 30 mins - 2 hours once a week, varying quite a lot depending on my mood/work load). This got more frequent around May but was hindered by A-level preparation. Around mid-June, I really started getting in, with something like 5 hours a day after the 20th of June (the exam was on the 23rd...).

I'm probably not a very good example though (my slightly relaxed attitude was because I didn't have a lot riding on STEP/AEA). I ended up with 1, 1 in STEP I and II, with 3 marks below an S grade in STEP I. I was, of course, working intensely on the A-level Maths + Further Maths consistently over the 2 years, which is something you most certainly cannot be relaxed about.
theultimate
ok
how many hours per week etc? what materials are you using?

actually i'm on a gap year, so I'm going through past STEP papers whenever possible.
Reply 227
I started once I had my offer (january). I did an odd past paper here and then. when the exam was approaching I did like 1 a day but I'm quite lazy so in total I only did like 15 or so in total. I didnt read that much of the booklet because Id done alot of the questions in it by the time I discovered it. But definatly do read it to get going. I ended up with S 1 in step I II.
Sallena
I started once I had my offer (january). I did an odd past paper here and then. when the exam was approaching I did like 1 a day but I'm quite lazy so in total I only did like 15 or so in total. I didnt read that much of the booklet because Id done alot of the questions in it by the time I discovered it. But definatly do read it to get going. I ended up with S 1 in step I II.

ONLY 15 papers??!!
Reply 229
I didnt work through them completely. I must have spent like 2 hours on them on average. doing the past papers is the best practise youre going to get so you should try do as many as possible. after all you have like half a year or even more to prepare.
Reply 230
alexmahone
ONLY 15 papers??!!

Yes; that is "only". The most I know of is in the region of 35+. Personally my problem was I only really did the nicest couple of questions on a paper; so I ended up doing the first few in the exam in maybe quarter of an hour, and then slowing down hugely. For future people, I'd recommend not to switch paper until you've done at least 6 properly.
I started looking at STEP questions throughout my AS year, as i wanted to try for Cambridge/Oxford. I hadn't done very well because of not doing any C3/C4 and probably did about half a question on each paper. As i didn't realise the significance of actually doing C3/C4 i decided not to bother with STEP. I did take it in my A2 year but as A-levels weren't going so well i didn't bother too much, i looked at about 2 papers, and only 1-2 questions on each. I got 3,U in STEP I-II and was rejected from both my Firm and Insurance choice that year. During my gap year i thought i'd have another go as i felt i could do a lot better, but as i needed to focus on actually getting into a University this time, i didn't bother too much with STEP. I had looked at most papers, but only attempted a few questions in total. I also didn't revise any C3-C4 this time as i only re-took applied modules, so that set me back a fair bit. I ended up with a 1,2 in STEP (I,II) during my gap year and was 9/6 marks off (S,1) respectivley. I ended being rejected again by my Firm but accepted by my insurance I think if i had been in a better position with my A-levels i would have tried a lot harder. I recommend looking at a lot of papers, but also carefully look at the work taught in the A-level modules. However i wouldn't say it's necessesary to do a load of past papers to get a decent score.
Of course, the definition of "a load" may vary. Some people here on TSR have done decades worth of papers. I only did 8 years of STEP III before the exam this year, and fewer STEP II past papers. (I don't remember the exact number, since I did most of the practice for II in year 12.)
I did mosty STEP III practise even though i did I,II. I think it definatley helps to do all three papers. Difficulty wis i haven't found any to be significantly more difficulty than the any other, although normally STEP III requires more FM work.
Reply 234
wasn't sure where to ask so i'll ask here.

Has anyone done STEP from scotland because i wanted to know how different it is to the AH course.

I'm doing AH Maths and AH applied maths mechanics btw.
Did people start STEP before their interview for Cam, in preparation for their interview?
Reply 236
theultimate
Did people start STEP before their interview for Cam, in preparation for their interview?

Well, I started STEP last year (and took STEP I last year) although I don't consider it preparation for interview, and I doubt it will help as such
Reply 237
Woah.. I just did a STEP II paper for fun [lol] and I noticed that the key skill you had to have was "observation". Usually the first part of a question is quite straight forward but the later parts "build" on that knowledge, but you need to notice HOW you can use the results from the first part for the second part. It's all about noticing how you can manipulate the first result to get the second really.

Just wondering if this is generally true for most questions which have many parts to it?
Yes, what you describe happens fairly often (though not always).
Reply 239
theultimate

If you want my advice I suggest you start looking at some papers if you already haven't. I'm currently working through the Siklos booklet and doing STEP I papers - it's good preperation for the interview as well as for the STEP II / STEP III papers later on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending