The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Under construction! :wink:

Please note that this thread is not designed for discussion of STEP exam questions or techniques. If you have a maths-related question to ask (rather than a procedural question), please make a new thread in the maths forum. If you have a non-mathsy question isn't answered in the links in this first post or in the rest of this thread, feel free to post it here. :smile:

This thread is designed to help you find the STEP threads you need. Loads of them have been made over the past year or so, there's been a lot of effort put into them on everyone's part, and it's only in our best interests not to lose them. :wink: If you see a broken link, let me know. If you find something that should be a link but is actually just plain text, that probably means that thread doesn't exist, or we don't know about it. If you find, or create, a thread that should be here, nudge me by posting in this thread and I'll sort the links out for you. Oh, and if you think of a slightly more tasteful thread title, please do share. :biggrin:

Complete Solutions in bold

Worked STEP solutions.

Solutions written by TSR members:
1987 - 1988 - 1989 - 1990 - 1991 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1996 - 1997 - 1998 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002 - 2003 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008

Solutions from external sites:
Priorexams.com (1999 - 2003).
http://www.mathsexams2.tk/ (1997 - 2005).
Meikleriggs (2001-2006) - requires (free) sign-up.
STEP Maths

STEP discussion threads

2007:

2006:

STEP past papers

http://www.stepmathematics.org.uk/downloads.html (official website: papers I, II, III from 1998 to 2007)

http://rapidshare.com/files/81215071/STEP_1990-2007.zip.html (big zip file containing 1990-2004 and 2007)

http://stepmaths.com/step/STEP.zip (another zip containing 1987-2007 and the siklos booklets)

STEP tips and tricks

Scroll to see replies

I doubt I shall need this second post, but I'll reserve it anyway. :p:
Reply 2
The link for priorexams just takes you to an empty website.

Papers and solutions for 1997-2005 can be found here:
http://www.mathsexams2.tk/

It also has papers for 1987 and 1990-1996.
Andy H
The link for priorexams just takes you to an empty website.

Papers and solutions for 1997-2005 can be found here:
http://www.mathsexams2.tk/

It also has papers for 1987 and 1990-1996.

Cheers. :smile:
Reply 4
I may as well ask here. What maths do you need to have covered for the different STEP papers. I know there syllabusseseses (syllabi?) but It'll be quicker to ask you. STEP I is just A2 maths level? Does STEP II requires any further maths knowledge or is just a harder STEP I? and STEP III is the whole shabang all further maths and a bit more for fun?
STEP I and II don't need further maths STEP II is just quite a bit harder than STEP I.

While as you say STEP III requires the whole shabang.
thestudent
I may as well ask here. What maths do you need to have covered for the different STEP papers. I know there syllabusseseses (syllabi?) but It'll be quicker to ask you. STEP I is just A2 maths level? Does STEP II requires any further maths knowledge or is just a harder STEP I? and STEP III is the whole shabang all further maths and a bit more for fun?

STEP I and II are maths, III is further maths. On a "typical" syllabus. And you're not expected to be able to answer all questions (which is why there are 14 and you only have to do 6).
Reply 7
generalebriety
(which is why there are 14 and you only have to do 6).

And you can get a 1 from answering 4 of them.

But probably more likely to get your grades from 3 or so complete answers and a couple of half-way ones :smile:

How I managed to make my offer tbh... :wink:
Reply 8
and does anyone know the entry deadline for the papers, I guess I'm going to have to ask my college to enter me as opposed to them asking me.
Reply 9
You'll probably be able to sort it out in March at the same time as summer A-level resits.
Does anyone have a link to the Advanced GCE booklet of the allowed formulas? Very much appreciated.
Reply 11
Master: Unless it's changed, you're allowed to use any standard A-level formula booklet. They (almost certainly) vary between exam boards. I had the Edexcel one when I sat STEP but had no reason to look anything up - the questions don't often require lots of hard-to-remember formulae to be used, more often relying on mathematical insight.
Reply 12
Can I ask questions here about past paper answers? If not hen delete this post or whatever but STEP I 2001 q1 - I understand the working and all that but why does the triangle have to have equal sides? I thought the question is asking to find the maximum side of the triangle ABC so why can't the points be at 3 corners and give a max side of root 2? or is the question saying find the triangle with which there is a side equal to or less root 6 - root 2
thestudent
Can I ask questions here about past paper answers? If not hen delete this post or whatever but STEP I 2001 q1 - I understand the working and all that but why does the triangle have to have equal sides? I thought the question is asking to find the maximum side of the triangle ABC so why can't the points be at 3 corners and give a max side of root 2? or is the question saying find the triangle with which there is a side equal to or less root 6 - root 2

No, it's saying that however you position the points, there's always going to be (at least) one 'small' side which is (root 6 - root 2) in length or less.
can I take the STEP III with IB higher level maths? would STEPs I and II even be problematic for me here?

and, can i use an IB formula booklet in the exam?
nish81
can I take the STEP III with IB higher level maths? would STEPs I and II even be problematic for me here?

and, can i use an IB formula booklet in the exam?

Don't know. I'd need to see a syllabus. And yeah, IB isn't as hard as STEP. Sorry. :p:

You can use any standard A-level formula booklet, but not an IB one.
generalebriety
Don't know. I'd need to see a syllabus. And yeah, IB isn't as hard as STEP. Sorry. :p:

You can use any standard A-level formula booklet, but not an IB one.

Bah :p: humbug. Is a TI-83 calculator out too?
nish81
Bah :p: humbug. Is a TI-83 calculator out too?

In the sense that all calculators are out, yes. :p: Calculators are disallowed in STEP.
Reply 18
generalebriety
In the sense that all calculators are out, yes. :p: Calculators are disallowed in STEP.

And not really needed.

The only benefit a calculator would offer is quicker arithmetic
generalebriety

oh wow! :eek: I'll have to get used to life without my TI-83!

Square
And not really needed.

The only benefit a calculator would offer is quicker arithmetic

This makes me feel better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending