The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

CookieDoughLove
I couldn't give a monkeys if facts says it is a city. I made it perfectly clear in my post, that IN MY OPINION, it isn't. I never said that was official, I gave my opinion.

I hear you brother. I have all kinds of opinions that I assert contrary to fact. Dogs aren't animals, France is not a country.

Like you, I couldn't give a monkey's for (so-called) "facts" or book-learning.
Cactus_Man
the campus looks bland, and as a US student looking to make my American mates jealous, it just doesn't work :wink:

I'd just like to point out that those are probably the two worst possible criteria to use in choosing a place to spend the next three or four years of your life and education.
Reply 22
Stanford?

Admittedly it's not castley but it does have prestige, lol.
yeah, his friends from Harvard will be properly wowed.
Pink Bullets
Royal Holloway? It's only about 45 minutes from London and looks like this:

It's also very near Heathrow airport, which you will come to appreciate when going back and forth.

Located in the metropolis that is Egham. :giggle: But nah it takes 30m by train to get to central London.
Reply 25
Cactus_Man

That's basically my concern as far as that goes. It sounds pretty insane; four universities within a few miles of each other is unheard of in the busiest parts of California, let alone northeastern England. I can't even imagine what the job rush must be like.

To be honest, in terms of university per head of the population, the north east is about average.

Yes Newcastle has two universities, but it's in large urban area. Most major cities in the UK, and even smaller ones, have at least two universities. Sunderland only has one. Then there's Durham (I'm not including Teesside in Middlesbrough - that's not the real north east :p:)

So that's four universities, in two counties (combined area of 1,500 square miles) with a popuation of 1.5 million.

Compre that to areas of a broadly similar population and area size like Greater Manchester - which has four universities also, then Liverpool, Liverpool Hope, Liverpool John Moores and UCLAN not too far away.

I'm not saying that every graduate of every university in the region finds a job here. Many chose to stay (I believe Newcastle in particular has one of the highest rates of graduates remaining in the area - but I can't seem to find stats for that), many find that they can't stay because there aren't the jobs or chose to stay.

Athough undoubtedly one of the most beatiful regions of the country (I'm not biased) it has suffered deprivation since the collapse of its former industries like ship building and coal mining. Although it's seen much growth in the past fifteen years, becoming a leading region for some areas of science, tourism and the arts, opportunities aren't exactly huge in number*. I'm not denying that. But there are still places you'll be able to intern at, or good work experience placements at. And Durham in particularly have a reasonably good careers service so they'll help you try and find any placements available.

*That said, during the recession there were, at least initially, a high number of vacancies in the engineering, science and IT sector with decent salaries (20 - 30k). My brother had moved to London, and was determined to find a job there even though opportunities were few and far between. He eventually found one, paying 25k as a Java developer, when he could've probably got one in my father's company (engineering company in rural Northumberland, about 15 miles west of Newcastle) for 25k. Or a job at Sage for 23k. Considering the lower cost of living that's a better deal.

Sage is one example of a software company. It operates across the country, but is based in Newcastle

http://www.sage.co.uk/about_us.aspx

Speaking of which: I definitely cannot afford York, Bath, or Bristol.

Why not, if you don't mind me asking? Just if it's for accomodation, then Durham can also be very expensive. Private accomodation is reasonable, if you're prepared to look outside the particularly popular student areas. But college accomodation can be very expensive indeed. Durham seem to have this wonderful idea of increasing accomodation prices during a recession. If I were to move into college this year, the a self-cartered ensuite room would take up all of my loan and about 1k of my savings leaving my with no money for anything else. But you only need to live in college for one year.
Reply 26
Cactus_Man
So basically I'm really in love with Durham, but I'm apprehensive about studying Computing in an area that's so far away from the tech industry powerhouses. Naturally, I also want urban conveniences to be within a short distance, and apparently Durham is severely lacking in that department.

Another choice of mine, Sussex, is well-connected to the tech industry (at least it appears that way) and is situated in a relatively urban area where you probably don't have to travel too far to find anything that you're looking for, whether for fun or employment during the breaks. But damn the campus looks bland, and as a US student looking to make my American mates jealous, it just doesn't work :wink:

Are there any unis out there that blend the old-world castle vibe with the convenience/social stuff/tech employment of cities? Don't mention Oxbridge or any Scottish unis (can't consider a 4-year BSc). Thanks!

EDIT: I thought I typed "I want a 'castle uni'" etc but apparently I forgot the "a." Just wanted to let you know that I'm aware of it, because I hate looking grammatically incompetent.

If you get certain grades, you can do the Scottish BScs in three years. I think it's ABB for first year entry at Glasgow, or AAA for second year- so you'd do it in the same time as in England. Glasgow and Edinburgh are two of the premier computing departments in the UK, and that's two massive cities with two old, renowned, universities within 45 minutes of each other.
As beautiful as Royal Holloway is, Egham is borrrrring.
Cactus_Man

And to clarify something else, of course the cool-factor of the buildings isn't my main concern. Basically, if I can't decide between two equally incredibly universities, the cooler-looking one will break the tie. That's why I mentioned bland, semi-moden Sussex: it's either close to the top of my list, or perhaps even at the top. It's got just about everything. Their records for satisfaction and employment are excellent, it's in the middle of a bustling (but not congested) area, and to top it off, it's on the beach! (I know, that last one is superficial as well haha) But it has problems too: it's expensive, and I suspect that the location it's in is expensive as well because... it's on the beach. So basically the problem is money.

You know that it's about five miles from the beach, right?

And coming from California, you'll be sorely disappointed with Brighton beach. It's a rock beach.

I wouldn't call the area where the University of Sussex is 'bustling' either.
Reply 29
I'm probably biased, but in my opinion bristol fulfils your criteria rather well :smile:
0404343m
If you get certain grades, you can do the Scottish BScs in three years. I think it's ABB for first year entry at Glasgow, or AAA for second year- so you'd do it in the same time as in England. Glasgow and Edinburgh are two of the premier computing departments in the UK, and that's two massive cities with two old, renowned, universities within 45 minutes of each other.

OP, if that's your critera man then I'd def second 0404343m's advice on Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Come to Cardiff! :smile:
Reply 32
Cactus_Man
So basically I'm really in love with Durham, but I'm apprehensive about studying Computing in an area that's so far away from the tech industry powerhouses. Naturally, I also want urban conveniences to be within a short distance, and apparently Durham is severely lacking in that department.

Another choice of mine, Sussex, is well-connected to the tech industry (at least it appears that way) and is situated in a relatively urban area where you probably don't have to travel too far to find anything that you're looking for, whether for fun or employment during the breaks. But damn the campus looks bland, and as a US student looking to make my American mates jealous, it just doesn't work :wink:

Are there any unis out there that blend the old-world castle vibe with the convenience/social stuff/tech employment of cities? Don't mention Oxbridge or any Scottish unis (can't consider a 4-year BSc). Thanks!

EDIT: I thought I typed "I want a 'castle uni'" etc but apparently I forgot the "a." Just wanted to let you know that I'm aware of it, because I hate looking grammatically incompetent.

Computer Science at King's? We're right in the centre of London and our library looks like this:

Virtual Tour here: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/virtualtour/maughan-library.html

I wouldn't pick a university based on how it looks, but I think it's a good thing that you know where you'd prefer to be i.e. in a city environment. King's still has a campus feel; there are 3 or 4 small campuses dotted around central London, each with their own unique atmosphere and architecture.
As a graduate already, never mind one from Harvard, you don't need a second 'first degree', if you follow me. A Postgraduate Diploma + 1 year Msc is the way to go (will be quicker and cheaper and see you qualify with a postgraduate qualification)

Here is University College, Cork, by the way.

They love Americans, and it's cheap.
Reply 34
Cactus_Man
King's, at £15850, is much too expensive. Believe me, I'd be all over it if it weren't. :frown:

I just looked at the tuition fees for international students and I never knew the rates were that high. :eek:
Wesssty
Hogwarts has an ATM?

haha, classic!
Cactus_Man
Just checked them out to be sure, and they're too expensive.

Ahhh well, I tried... :getmecoat:

Good luck anyway man
What a fatuous thread.
Cactus_Man
I do now :o:

I looked it up on Bing maps, but I remember it looking a lot closer to the beach than that. My sense of space/distance isn't very good though.

Thanks for the heads-up on the beach, too. I found this:

http://www.bugbog.com/images/beaches/british-beaches-uk/new-british-beaches/brighton-beach/brighton-beach-bathers.jpg

And, yeah, that looks extremely painful. We barely have any rocks around most beaches here, but I've still managed to slice myself up pretty badly on them while boarding. If I tried to use that beach, I'd probably die. :frown:

I'm confused about Brighton being boring as you sort of implied though. I saw it in an episode of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares and it looked incredible. The whole "gay-friendly" thing is really cool too, since I'm into dudes as well as girls--although, there's definitely such a thing as too friendly (flamers/trannies really gross me out), and if that's the case with Brighton, then that could be a problem. I'm definitely "one of the guys" (as I damn well should be, seeing as I have a cock) and I'd feel out of place if I were surrounded by "girly men," as Ahnold would say. That would suck.

So, basically, what is your take on Brighton? You've got me very curious now, and its stock is on the decline.

I didn't mean that Brighton is boring, I meant that the University of Sussex is not actually in Brighton. It's right sort of on the edge of the outskirts of Brighton and the countryside. It's about 4 miles from the part of Brighton that is actually worth going to.

Brighton itself is quite nice, but a bit small. It depends on what you mean when you say 'city life' really, and what you're used to. Brighton is a very small city. It's like a much smaller version of San Francisco, I think... think hills, homosexuals, hippies, vegetarians, ocean, etc. :wink:
Reply 39
Cactus_Man
York: £14850 for 2010 (to rise for 2011)
Bristol: £14950 for 2010 (again, the rates will only go up)
Bath: £14500 for 2010

My price ceiling is £14000. Technically I can't really afford anything, even if the cost is only £10000 (I'll be depending almost entirely on loans), but that's the figure I've decided on. Needless to say ICL (about £21000) is out.

Sussex and Manchester both cross the £14000 line, but I may be eligible for a £3000 scholarship at Sussex and Manchester offers fixed-rate tuition fees, so I'm (possibly) making exceptions for them. Durham, at £11400 (for 2010), isn't bad.

As for accommodation, I thought that on-campus housing generally costs less in the end? Or does that depend entirely on where you live? (For example, City University London's accommodations, while expensive, are cheap in comparison to privately-owned ones in the area.) It also seems like on-campus housing would be much less of a headache, especially as an international student. I wouldn't have to travel very far to class either.

I'll have to research employability in Newcastle later. There's so much to think about. Unfortunately I did check Sage's website and, unlike the big players, they don't offer student employment schemes. That stung to read. I want Durham to work so badly, but it's crucial that I have relevant work experience before I graduate, and since Durham doesn't offer a sandwich option, there MUST be strong employment opportunities over the breaks. If I don't have anything on my CV by the time I'm done with school, I suspect that I'll be on a plane back to SoCal in no time.

For that sort of money, Durham isn't bad then. Are you really set on coming here? What's in-state education costs like in Cal? If you're paying £15k+ a year then that's over $20,000- and I thought, at least from talking to friends who did undergrad in the University of California campuses, that in-state tuition was more like $10,000 a year.

Anyway, if your ceiling is £14,000- then that's what Glasgow costs, with the chance of a £3,000 a year scholarship. You can also do the degree in three years. Also, a choice from a the leftfield here: Dundee. It's a medium-sized city of about 175,000 people, it's near to St Andrews for golf and the beach, the fees were only about £10k the last I checked, and it's situated in the main city for the computer industry (particularly visual arts and computer games) outside of London in the UK. It's also less than an hour to Edinburgh and less than two hours to Glasgow. You might also be able to get one of their scholarships which could cut the fees down to £5500. The university has links with St Andrews and dates from the 1880s, with lots of older-type buildings.

http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/study/socscholarships.asp

Latest

Trending

Trending