The Student Room Group

Part of a tampon lost?! (girls)

Okay so today is the third day of my period, I usually use normal sized tampons for this time. So yesterday evening I inserted a tampon, and half an hour ago I pulled it out. The problem is that it was really hard to get it out, not like usually, but I had to pull really hard. When it came out it looked like the top ripped off! I don't think it's smaller than usual, but I'm petrified something's stuck in there, I tried "poking" around a little bit and couldn't find anything.
It was O.B., nothing cheap. Can a tampon rip off like that??

Scroll to see replies

I thought O.B.s were already shorter. :s-smilie:

If you can't find anything, I wouldn't worry. It couldn't go anywhere.
Reply 2
No, I really don't think the top of a tampon can fall off like that. :/ I'm sure nothing's stuck up there... I wouldn't worry if I were you! :smile:
Reply 3
I very much doubt it, they're made of strong stuff. If you can't find it with a good poke around, you are probably fine.

Incidentally, it was probably fairly hard to pull out if it hadn't absorbed as much as it can. If you only left it in for an hour or so, this may have been why.
It'll come out when you have a good scrub or a strong wee or something. Even if it takes a while it can't do any damage up there.
I'd get it checked if you really think there is a bit stuck up there. There's some kind of thing that tampons do that if you keep them in too long. I can't remember what it's called... some kind of syndrome or something :s-smilie: my friend's mum died because she left a tampon in for like a week or something :s-smilie: it was well weird.
moomin_love
I'd get it checked if you really think there is a bit stuck up there. There's some kind of thing that tampons do that if you keep them in too long. I can't remember what it's called... some kind of syndrome or something :s-smilie: my friend's mum died because she left a tampon in for like a week or something :s-smilie: it was well weird.

You're thinking of Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a rare but fatal condition that can happen if you leave a tampon in for days and days (why would your friend's mum leave one in for a week? Surely it would've leaked after a day!)

To the OP, you can actually check if it's in there. You might think this is rather gross, but it should put your mind at rest. Rather than just having a general 'poke around', squat down on the floor and put your entire finger inside and check your entire vagina (you'll know when you've reached the end as you'll be able to feel your cervix - a squishy thing).
Reply 7
moomin_love

Toxic shock syndrome.
I know I probably shouldn't ask - but a tampon left in for a week? :eyeball:
moomin_love

is it something shock, someone told me about it
Anonymous
Okay so today is the third day of my period, I usually use normal sized tampons for this time. So yesterday evening I inserted a tampon, and half an hour ago I pulled it out. The problem is that it was really hard to get it out, not like usually, but I had to pull really hard.

If your flow was lighter than usual this time, that was probably why the tampon was difficult to get out. It could also happen if you didn't leave it in for very long.
Reply 10
moomin_love

Toxic Shock Syndrome?
Wouldn't worry the OP like that lol, it's pretty rare.
I've left them in, put two in at once... done other stupid things lol.
Still alive ;D

It's probably not up there OP, but... if it is, you'll find it.. eventually... muahaha
Reply 11
i think its really impossible for the top to have come off...the whole tampon is pretty much weaved together if you know what i mean...
i know it sounds gross but you should have another 'feel' around...use your finger as a tampon, the only way your gona feel if something is stuck, it can only go so far up anyway...you have to for your own health really. (sorry for the light-headed boys) haha.
if your still worried, book an appointment with your GP asap. :smile: dw im sure she'd understand x
Anonymous
You're thinking of Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a rare but fatal condition that can happen if you leave a tampon in for days and days (why would your friend's mum leave one in for a week? Surely it would've leaked after a day!)

To the OP, you can actually check if it's in there. You might think this is rather gross, but it should put your mind at rest. Rather than just having a general 'poke around', squat down on the floor and put your entire finger inside and check your entire vagina (you'll know when you've reached the end as you'll be able to feel your cervix - a squishy thing).

Omg you can feel your cervix?! That is crazy... can't say it's something I'd like to try and do to be honest!

Gez1990
Toxic shock syndrome.
I know I probably shouldn't ask - but a tampon left in for a week? :eyeball:

Yeah, I know :s-smilie: It was really awkward and weird when she told us because obviously her mum being dead and everything we couldn't exactly question her on it :s-smilie: but yeah... I don't really know why she did it. The only explanation I could think of is that she was on the last day of her period and forgot that she'd used one? I just don't know!
Reply 13
Well there's nowhere for it to go, so i doubt it will do any damage.
If it has broken off somehow, i'm sure it will come out eventually :smile:.
Don't worry about it.
Reply 14
Anonymous
It'll come out when you have a good scrub or a strong wee or something. Even if it takes a while it can't do any damage up there.

Urm lol

Wee hole ≠ period/baby hole
Reply 15
go get it checked if your worried :smile:
if on the slight chance something has got stuck you could be prone to infection
go go go !
Just kinda push a little and eventually it will come out. My friend forgot she had a tampon in, and inserted another. Then 3 days later she sneezed and it came out
Reply 17
probbabllyy not. I always test its strength, just a good tip really. You might just have put it in at the wrong angle and so when it came out it looked a funny shape maybe.
moomin_love
Omg you can feel your cervix?! That is crazy... can't say it's something I'd like to try and do to be honest!

!

How is it crazy? Surely you've felt it before through masturbation? Maybe mines just low down :s-smilie:
Anonymous
How is it crazy? Surely you've felt it before through masturbation? Maybe mines just low down :s-smilie:

Haha no... I've never actually masturbated... lol

Latest