The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sambo2
your history lesson is just wrong.. It actually attempted to move to move Perth not dundee. Granted Queens college was set up due to the lack of clinical facilities in st andrews, indeed it is not unlikely that there will be a joint st andrews dundee MBChB soon enough.. having said that dundees med department is now ranked behind st andrews', not that that really means anything..

Actually it considered moving to perth and choose not to. It then later opened university college (now known as queens college) in dundee as an attempt to keep the Uni growing. Uni college then grew rapidly and in the mid 20th century became independant and created the University of Dundee.
Look up the history of Dundee Uni it was founded as a college of St Andrews.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 41
The move to Perth was mooted and rejected well over 300 years ago. More recently though, there were real concerns in the 1960s after the closure of the rail link to St Andrews that the university couldn't survive, and there has been (I believe) talks on more than one occasion, although not in the last 40-odd years, of a phased movement of more departments to Dundee in order to secure a long-term future. That's obviously not the case any longer, but they did look at moves to both Perth and Dundee at various points in their history, just Dundee was the more recent of the two. This has got little to do with the OP's point- it's a very good university, yes (lalthough I'd argue about exactly how good relative to some others, as you've seen above), so if the setting is your thing and think you can hack four years there, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the place.

Latest

Trending

Trending