The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds or Sheffield - or - Commuting or Moving Out

Hey Guys!

I'm going on to do a PGCE next September, on the condition that I complete a Maths Enhancement Course. I'm doing the PGCE at Leeds University, but the Maths Enhancement Course can be done wherever you want... and herein lies my problem.

There are two places which do the course, Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Trinity. I can't decide where to go:

If I was at Leeds Trinity, I would probably commute in from my home (with parents - York). This would probably do my nut in (both living with them, and spending a lot of time on trains). Also, the course at Leeds may involve me travelling to Huddersfield or Bradford some days every week, which would be really hard to get to from York. However, I'd probably save a bit on rent (get a £7000 bursary).

The next is Sheffield Hallam. Here, I'd have to move out, which would cost a bit in rent. However, my sister and boyfriend live there, so it would be quite nice to be with people I know (and finally living in the same city as my boyfriend would be awesome). Also, the course at Hallam would be AT HALLAM - so at least everything would be in the same city, so wouldn't spend too much on travel.

Any help with this guys?

Both are good places to be - I'm from Leeds but have lived in Sheffield (when I went to Hallam) too.

A lot of people on our teaching course commute, fair play to them but I couldn't do it. Would rather move out especially for a course as busy as your PGCE will be! If you went to Hallam, you'd be there and everything would be there nearby. And you say your boyfriend is there too? Reason enough maybe. :wink: :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
linkdapink
Hey Guys!

I'm going on to do a PGCE next September, on the condition that I complete a Maths Enhancement Course. I'm doing the PGCE at Leeds University, but the Maths Enhancement Course can be done wherever you want... and herein lies my problem.

There are two places which do the course, Sheffield Hallam and Leeds Trinity. I can't decide where to go:

If I was at Leeds Trinity, I would probably commute in from my home (with parents - York). This would probably do my nut in (both living with them, and spending a lot of time on trains). Also, the course at Leeds may involve me travelling to Huddersfield or Bradford some days every week, which would be really hard to get to from York. However, I'd probably save a bit on rent (get a £7000 bursary).

The next is Sheffield Hallam. Here, I'd have to move out, which would cost a bit in rent. However, my sister and boyfriend live there, so it would be quite nice to be with people I know (and finally living in the same city as my boyfriend would be awesome). Also, the course at Hallam would be AT HALLAM - so at least everything would be in the same city, so wouldn't spend too much on travel.

Any help with this guys?

Have you decided yet?
Reply 3
ipswichblade
Have you decided yet?

I didn't have to decide. Leeds rang me up and told me that they have no spaces left :frown:

So now I've only just got round to applying to Sheffield, and since its getting really close to September, I'm panicking! If I don't get in at Sheffield, then its either Hull or Sunderland. I'd only go to Hull if I passed my driving test!
linkdapink
I didn't have to decide. Leeds rang me up and told me that they have no spaces left :frown:

So now I've only just got round to applying to Sheffield, and since its getting really close to September, I'm panicking! If I don't get in at Sheffield, then its either Hull or Sunderland. I'd only go to Hull if I passed my driving test!

Aaah, I see. Good luck! :smile:

Latest