The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
it is, 120 for both theory exams and 60 for the practical.

To get UMS I think they consult the dark welsh sheep gods on a mountain, under a full moon for the magical number, divide the number by 666 and then times that by the raw mark. And then sacrifice some virgins for the fun of it.
rabidmonkey
How did everyone find it? I though it was alright but there were some really awful questions that noone i know seemed to get. Like the three HBr isomers, think it was the two chiral isomers and 1 bromo. Didnt get it in the exam though.... :rolleyes:

Wait, why is everyone saying that the isomers were chiral? :frown:

My 3 isomers were 1,1-dibromobutane, 1,2-dibromobutane and 2,2-dibromobutane. Is that not right?

And if that was right, I said that if you analysed them by nuclear magnetic resonance, there would be 3 triplets for one, 4 for another, and 5 for the last, via the n+1 rule as there a 3, 4 and 5 protons on each isomer (respectively) that can 'see' another 2 protons.

Ian80
I thought that exam was quite nice :smile:
Much better than January anyway, which I was totally unprepared for :smile:

I got 4 doubles bonds too

For the test between ethylamine and phenylamine what did everyone put?
I think the answer was adding nitrous acid and ethylamine would produce ammonia gas which would turn red litmus blue?

I didn't put that in the exam though, I said to add nitrous acid to turn ethylamine into ethanol and then add potassium dichromate and there would be a colour change from orange to green?
Think I'll get that?

Yep, 4 double bonds.

I put add nitrous acid at <10 degrees celcius, aliphatic amine will give off N2, and I wrote that the other one "may give you a pretty colour".

Jade02
I hate one marks questions especially in wjec because in chemistry they have half marks, which is ridiculous. I think I dropped marks everywhere pretty much :L

They don't have half marks anymore. This is bad, because for definitions you need to get 'both half marks' to actually get any mark now. :p:

Ian80
Aw I forgot to put 1,6-hexanediamine too! :mad:

What question was this for?
I'm hoping it's the polymer question about nylon, because I did NOT know the answer at all.

What was an industrial use for ethanoic anhydride?
I said that it's used to turn morphine into heroin, and then wrote "(Pretty sure this is a bad thing though.)", so I don't know how that is going to go. It's true, but it's not really a use in industry. :p:

Ummm... OH, I got 77% too for the.. atom economy?
But apparently I got the percentage yield question wrong. I saw it was 3 marks so I knew I hadn't done it right. I did it in mass rather than moles. :frown:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what happened to propanoic acid when you added soda lime? I didn't know what soda lime was, so I pretended it was CaCO3, and pretended CO2 was given off, leaving me with ethane.
What happened when you added CH3COCl? I wrote ethyalpropanoate.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Oh, does anyone remember the systematic name for dettol? I don't think I did it right. I think I had 1,2-dimethyl4-chlorophenol. It doesn't look right.

How did you test between C and D? I wrote explicitly this C was a primary alcohol, D was secondary, but I don't know any tests. I guessed that when FeCl3 (iron III chloride) is added, primary alcohol solutions turn purple, while secondary alcohol solutions don't.

Test between A and B was Tollen's right? Reagents silver nitrate and aqueous sodium hydroxide solution?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Well I don't know what else.

It was a really easy paper I think. Question 5 was a GIFT. Benzene structure, very easy (but I'm sure I've missed some points - I tried to talk about everything though, the p orbital overlap, p-pi blah blah blah...) and the rest of the question was quite simple (except for me using mass instead of moles to find percentage yield).
Oh, what is the attacking species in the nitration of benzene? I wrote HNO3, but I don't think that's right.
AnonyMatt

My 3 isomers were 1,1-dibromobutane, 1,2-dibromobutane and 2,2-dibromobutane. Is that not right?

And if that was right, I said that if you analysed them by nuclear magnetic resonance, there would be 3 triplets for one, 4 for another, and 5 for the last, via the n+1 rule as there a 3, 4 and 5 protons on each isomer (respectively) that can 'see' another 2 protons.

Well I thought it would only add one Br to each one? and if you did that 2-bromo would have a chiral centre so it would have 2 optical isomers.

AnonyMatt
What question was this for?
I'm hoping it's the polymer question about nylon, because I did NOT know the answer at all.

Yeah, I think it was for that question :smile:

AnonyMatt
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, what happened to propanoic acid when you added soda lime? I didn't know what soda lime was, so I pretended it was CaCO3, and pretended CO2 was given off, leaving me with ethane.

Both of those are right I think, thats what I put anyway :smile:

AnonyMatt
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Oh, does anyone remember the systematic name for dettol? I don't think I did it right. I think I had 1,2-dimethyl4-chlorophenol. It doesn't look right.

I think I put that as well, although I did put 4-chloro,1,2-dimethylphenol instead because I was thinking alphabetically :p:

AnonyMatt
How did you test between C and D? I wrote explicitly this C was a primary alcohol, D was secondary, but I don't know any tests. I guessed that when FeCl3 (iron III chloride) is added, primary alcohol solutions turn purple, while secondary alcohol solutions don't.

I'm pretty sure that FeCl3 only turns purple for phenol, an OH group attached to a benzene ring. Thats what we were always taught anyway...
AnonyMatt

Yep, 4 double bonds.

I put add nitrous acid at <10 degrees celcius, aliphatic amine will give off N2, and I wrote that the other one "may give you a pretty colour".

What was an industrial use for ethanoic anhydride?
I said that it's used to turn morphine into heroin, and then wrote "(Pretty sure this is a bad thing though.)", so I don't know how that is going to go. It's true, but it's not really a use in industry. :p:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Test between A and B was Tollen's right? Reagents silver nitrate and aqueous sodium hydroxide solution?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Well I don't know what else.

It was a really easy paper I think. Question 5 was a GIFT. Benzene structure, very easy (but I'm sure I've missed some points - I tried to talk about everything though, the p orbital overlap, p-pi blah blah blah...) and the rest of the question was quite simple (except for me using mass instead of moles to find percentage yield).
Oh, what is the attacking species in the nitration of benzene? I wrote HNO3, but I don't think that's right.

Ethanoic Anhydride is used for the synthesis of Aspirin.
I thought C had a double bond (hence being an EZ isomer- we had to draw two of them) and D didn't. :s
Also, Alcohol is polar covalent and will dissolve Phenol and FeCl3 will only give a purple complex with a phenolic group, not with a side chain aliphatic -OH group.

I thought the attacking species is the nitronium ion electrophile: +NO2? :s

I'm not so sure, my answers were riddled with mistakes and errors....
SirAlexander
Ethanoic Anhydride is used for the synthesis of Aspirin.
I thought C had a double bond (hence being an EZ isomer- we had to draw two of them) and D didn't. :s
Also, Alcohol is polar covalent and will dissolve Phenol and FeCl3 will only give a purple complex with a phenolic group, not with a side chain aliphatic -OH group.

I thought the attacking species is the nitronium ion electrophile: +NO2? :s

I'm not so sure, my answers were riddled with mistakes and errors....

I said the attacking species was NO2+ too

Also I had a total mental block and could not remember how to spell aspirin :frown:
Ended up spelling it asparin :p:
Hope I still get the mark :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending