The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
23??!!!

Too late?!?!?!??!

Come ere young 'un for a big hug.
Reply 21
Right, i'm just wondering if you guys think that you need brilliant GCSEs for Medicine are needed as i know some unis love GCSEs and some dont realy care but how important are they in reality.
You've kinda just answered your own question. It depends on what uni you want to go to, so if you're aren't brilliant, don't bother applying to any that you don't meet the minimum academic criteria of. They aren't terribley lenient when it comes to things like that.
Reply 23
*subscribes* :p:
Reply 24
Well my GCSEs are 5A*s and 6As and I've got an offer for medicine. It's up to you to decide whether they are good or not.
Reply 25
some uni's rate GCSE's as important and some really don't care about it a lot just like you said but it'll help as you will have a strong academic background
Reply 26
Yeah, obviously it depends from Uni to Uni.

However, just make sure you get A's in Science, preferably A*, and pass all your gcses :smile:
Look at the prospectuses, then you will know.
Reply 28
if you are really concerned speak to the admissions tutors at the unis you want to apply to, in order to check it's all ok
Reply 29
It depends on the place as others have said. Southampton only credit up to 7B grades at GCSE (I.e. 7A*s - 7Bs makes almost no difference). I didn't get fantastic GCSEs for medicine, 1.5A*s, 5As, 6Bs and 1C, however ended up with offers from UCL and Aberdeen as well as being interviewed and pooled at Cambridge. Some places like Oxford and Birmingham require very high GCSEs, whilst others do not. It's all about looking at what the university wants as it constantly varies.
I'd say they'd have to be pretty good. Unless you have other amazing things to put into your application.
Reply 31
Only as far as meeting the academic requirments, there really just another cutoff point. They don't really prove anything.
Reply 32
Pretty much what everyone has said so far. Depends on the uni, but a significant amount of unis aren't too bothered, as long as you meet minimum requirements. Things like UKCAT scores and BMAT scores play a far more important role in getting an interview.
For medicine you need good GCSE's not so much in other subjects. For most subjects I believe all universities require a grade C or above in maths and english. BUt for a subject like medicine I think you need all A's. But I'm sure there are universities that don't require that.
Reply 34
Do you need brilliant GCSEs for medicine? ......

well considering the countries average GCSE score is 4Cs then yes you do need to be miles and miles above the average.

if you tell us you GCSE results then will will be able to tell you where not to apply :smile:
Reply 35
atomic-aaron
For medicine you need good GCSE's not so much in other subjects. For most subjects I believe all universities require a grade C or above in maths and english. BUt for a subject like medicine I think you need all A's. But I'm sure there are universities that don't require that.

B in English and maths is needed regardless of rest of gcses.
Obviously most ask for like 7 A to C grades overall, but a B in those two are needed unless you have A levels in them or something.

Some will ask for other Gcses, possibly a language etc
Reply 36
anon2010

well considering the countries average GCSE score is 4Cs then yes you do need to be miles and miles above the average.

Yeah, ditto this. It all depends on what you consider brilliant. Many medics on here would have a distorted view as most have lots of A's and A*'s. Wheras outside in the real world, straight B's is actually quite good GCSE's.

It also depends on where you want to go and how strong the rest of your application is. If you have amazing A-levels and UKCAT for example, slightly less amazing GCSE might not matter as much.
Birmingham loves GCSEs lol.
Reply 38
Hi, I'm going to be re-taking Year 12 because of extenuating circumstances. I've rang/emailed just about every single medical school in the country & they all say it's fine.

So, I'm ready to start in September. But, one problem: I don't know what to have as my 4th AS subject. Of course, I'm going to be doing Chemistry & Biology. I'm also doing Mathematics. (I did these 3 last year) I also did physics before but, regretted the situation straight away. So, I won't be doing physics this year.

Any ideas of what A level I should do instead of physics?
Reply 39
Something light and different hmm Sociology ? English ? Just to show your an all rounder candidate.

Latest