The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7540
Original post by chocolate102030
I'm a new on this thread so please help and answer!

I'm currently in year 12 and study A level maths, biology, chemistry and sociology. I would absolutely LOVE a career in medicine but am totally UNSURE whether I should apply since it is so competitive.

GCSE grades were 6.5 A* 4 As and I am predicted As in all my A levels- I recently got 3 Bs and 1A in my January modules (I don't think I quite sussed out how to revise properly but am DEFINITELY confident I will got As overall)

I know that my GCSE grades aren't great but I am part of a scheme called REALISING OPPORTUNITIES and it means that I could be accepted with a few grades lower than required-so they are ok for me!

I also have the following work experience planned: a week in a chemist, week in a hospital and week in a doctor's surgery. I am also deperately looking for some kind of volunteering- no luck yet :frown:

My extra currciculars include debating at regional level, hockey, running a sports club for year 7s and helping younger children to read every week. I am also head girl at my college.

Do you think it is REALLY worth me applying, I certainly do not want to waste a year of my life by not getting through and I do not want to take a gap year gaining more experience or volunteering or whatever. Thanx for your help!

I would also like add that I already have a weeks experience at a dentist (year 10) but do you think this is even relevant for medicine?

Your GCSE grades are more than fine for applying for medicine. Contrary to popular belief, a string of A*s at GCSE is not essential in gaining a place. You already have some work experience lined up which is good and keep trying to secure some sort of volunteering. You also have good extra curriculars too. Just focus on writing a good personal statement as this could arguably be the deciding factor on your application.
Original post by chocolate102030
I'm a new on this thread so please help and answer!
I'm currently in year 12 and study A level maths, biology, chemistry and sociology. I would absolutely LOVE a career in medicine but am totally UNSURE whether I should apply since it is so competitive.
GCSE grades were 6.5 A* 4 As and I am predicted As in all my A levels- I recently got 3 Bs and 1A in my January modules (I don't think I quite sussed out how to revise properly but am DEFINITELY confident I will got As overall)
I know that my GCSE grades aren't great but I am part of a scheme called REALISING OPPORTUNITIES and it means that I could be accepted with a few grades lower than required-so they are ok for me!
I also have the following work experience planned: a week in a chemist, week in a hospital and week in a doctor's surgery. I am also deperately looking for some kind of volunteering- no luck yet :frown:
My extra currciculars include debating at regional level, hockey, running a sports club for year 7s and helping younger children to read every week. I am also head girl at my college.
Do you think it is REALLY worth me applying, I certainly do not want to waste a year of my life by not getting through and I do not want to take a gap year gaining more experience or volunteering or whatever. Thanx for your help!
I would also like add that I already have a weeks experience at a dentist (year 10) but do you think this is even relevant for medicine?

I can already say that your application is already quite strong. In fact your GCSEs are good, I only got 7 A*s at GCSE and i've got offers! :smile: A level wise, just get those As and you'll be fine. Your planned work experiences are good, as for volunteering, try everything! See if any local charities want some help, e-mail around hospitals etc. You running a sports club for year 7 and help kids reading counts as volunteering :smile: Your week experience at a dentist is probably not worth mentioning. I can always send you my PS if you want to see what I did.
Overall I think you've got a good shot at medicine, just do well in UKCAT/BMAT and apply wisely :smile: Hope that helps :biggrin:
My GCSE grades where 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs, 3Cs
Is this going to make me not even wirth consideration when it comes to application?
Reply 7543
Original post by Leonidas12
Is this going to make me not even wirth consideration when it comes to application?

It depends, what were the three Cs in?
Original post by Leonidas12

Definitely not :smile:
Just make sure you apply to universities which don't tend to look at GCSE's, these are usually the ones that depend on a good UKCAT score. I got VERY similar GCSE's to you, in fact I believe the same, except one less A* and I am applying to Newcastle, Durham, Aberdeen and Peninsula (Although it will be either Exeter or Plymouth for 2013 admissions I believe, I could be wrong) :smile:

If it's definitely what you want to do then don't give up, just make sure your application is strong in other areas (work experience, volunteer work, personal statement, UKCAT) and apply wisely :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by bm_sewell
yeah. i was thinking of applying to UCL or Leicester, maybe, because i think they have quite low GCSE requirements.

For low GCSE requirements, consider Newcastle, Aberdeen, Durham, Peninsula, Exeter, Plymouth, and I'm sure there are a few more :smile:
Good luck!
I got:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
Statistics - A
ICT (SC) - B
RS (SC) - B
History - B
Business Studies - B
English language - B (retook from C)
English Literature - B

Will any of the med schools take me on? I am doing fine at AS level at the moment
Reply 7547
Original post by epicnerd
I got:
Biology - A*
Chemistry - A
Physics - A
Maths - A
Statistics - A
ICT (SC) - B
RS (SC) - B
History - B
Business Studies - B
English language - B (retook from C)
English Literature - B

Will any of the med schools take me on? I am doing fine at AS level at the moment

You should be fine to apply :smile: just avoid universities which are heavy on GCSEs (e.g. Birmingham and Cardiff) Also be careful as some expect at least 6As.
Hi :smile: So I got 9 A stars and 1 A for my gcses, and am currently studying maths, biology, english literature and chemistry at AS level and they seem to be going fine. I'm not completely sure where I want to apply to but maybe Nottingham, Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford/Cambridge. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice (like maybe what else I should be doing, whether the EPQ is worthwhile, UKCAT/BMAT advice etc) as it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Is it still a possibilty to get in for 2013 if I havent yet started work experience/volunteering (Long story but basically for a while i've been doubting whether I could do medicine so waited till Jan results to see)... or will I not have enough? I know its quality > quantity with work experience so its more the lack of volunteering i'm worried about.

I have contacted volunteering placements and i've had a call back from one, they said on wednesday somebody would call me to arrange an interview so i'm expecting something back soon.
I'm also in the process of getting a placement in a care home, however I have to wait for a CRB check so that might not start for another month or so.

Also, I know they like to see that applicants have a life outside of academics - however I don't do anything like sports, drama or any other kind of clubs so I never know what to put for things to do with "non academic hobbies".. I guess what I'm asking is are things like... cooking, baking, web design, learning a new language (Only basic german, so would it even be worth mentioning), painting, are they interesting/good enough? (It sounds like a stupid question to ask but I just don't know what people usually put for their non academic section.)
Original post by acebutterfly
Hi :smile: So I got 9 A stars and 1 A for my gcses, and am currently studying maths, biology, english literature and chemistry at AS level and they seem to be going fine. I'm not completely sure where I want to apply to but maybe Nottingham, Birmingham, Imperial, Oxford/Cambridge. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice (like maybe what else I should be doing, whether the EPQ is worthwhile, UKCAT/BMAT advice etc) as it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Well relevant and good work experience/volunteering is needed, but I'm sure you knew that already :smile: For both UKCAT and BMAT, revise at least a month beforehand - there's some good books on amazon. For the UKCAT try to aim for average of 670, a score of at least 700 would be ideal. For BMAT try to get at least 5 5 3A, score of 6 6 4A would place you in a safe zone :smile: Not sure about oxford but for Cambridge make sure you AS UMS marks are high - in the high 90% area. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Is it still a possibilty to get in for 2013 if I havent yet started work experience/volunteering (Long story but basically for a while i've been doubting whether I could do medicine so waited till Jan results to see)... or will I not have enough? I know its quality > quantity with work experience so its more the lack of volunteering i'm worried about.
I have contacted volunteering placements and i've had a call back from one, they said on wednesday somebody would call me to arrange an interview so i'm expecting something back soon.
I'm also in the process of getting a placement in a care home, however I have to wait for a CRB check so that might not start for another month or so.
Also, I know they like to see that applicants have a life outside of academics - however I don't do anything like sports, drama or any other kind of clubs so I never know what to put for things to do with "non academic hobbies".. I guess what I'm asking is are things like... cooking, baking, web design, learning a new language (Only basic german, so would it even be worth mentioning), painting, are they interesting/good enough? (It sounds like a stupid question to ask but I just don't know what people usually put for their non academic section.)

There definitely enough time, just make sure to organise work experience/volunteering soon! :smile: For volunteering is quite like work experience, don't overload yourself with volunteering-staying with 2 or 3 placements for a long period of time will be sufficient.
Cooking,baking, web design, learning language, painting are definitely worth mentioning! Although you got to make sure in your Personal Statement it doesn't sound like your just listing these activities.
I'm 17 years old, live with my Mam and my older brother.
My dream is to go to university and study medicine, if I could have one thing in the whole entire world, it would be that. Not money, not fame, not ridiculous good looks, the chance to study something I'm passionate about and rely on nobody but myself.
My GCSE's weren't great, far from it in fact. There's a reason for that.
Physics - A
Chemistry - B
Biology - B
Maths - C
English Lit - A
English Lang - C
RE - C
Art - A*
Sports Science BTEC - D*4 (A*,A*,A*,A*)
I was stressed at the time of sitting my GCSE exams, stressed due to my current living conditions, and because of the stress I was in hospital most of the way through my GCSE examinations.
I know my GCSE's aren't the end of the world for medicine as long as I apply wisely. I was considering Newcastle, Durham, Aberdeen and Peninsula, they're not as hard on GCSE requirements, however they do have a pretty strict UKCAT cut off, but I'm prepared to work my ass off to get a good UKCAT score. I was pretty disappointed with my GCSE's so I promised that I'd knuckle down for A Levels and really try my hardest to get the grades I need. I'm currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Psychology at AS level.
In my January exams I achieved AAA for Bio, Chem and Physics.

I have a long list of work experience and extra curricular activities -
- Attended a 1 Day Medical Science Masterclass at Newcastle University. - Amazing, learnt a lot, how to do certain examinations (eye and ear), taking blood, taking blood pressure, etc. Gave me an insight to the career.
- Attended a Medical taster at the Freeman Hospital - Gave me a great deal of knowledge to the career side, and also learnt some diagnosing methods, which we all got to practise on high tech dummies!
- I am a Combat Medic in the Royal Army Medical Corps for the Territorial Army - This has honed my abilities to work under pressure in tight situations, where my assistance is vital I will be able to provide reliable support with minimum stress.
- Volunteer work (Hospital Assistant) for St Johns Ambulance - I walk around, interacting with patients, which has really invoked my caring side to the career. I also get to see how a hospital is run on a daily basis, which shows me the possibilities of the career.
- Volunteer work (Ward bitch) - pretty much do ward jobs, it's fascinating to see how a ward runs, etc.
- Volunteer work at a charity shop (British Heart Foundation) - They needed helpers so I dedicate some of my free time to helping them sell things for a good cause.
- 1 week shadowing a Doctor/Surgeon at a local hospital in March - I get to see how they work second hand and see their approach and ask them questions about the job, etc. I get to see procedures and even get to watch a live surgery. Looking forward to this!
- I got told a care home in my local area is short on assistance so I applied there and have a place assisting, starting in the summer.
- I like hanging out with my friends and going to gigs.
- I self taught guitar and I'm in a band, where we gig regularly, which is normally a load of fun.
- I am team captain in a basketball team, and I also do boxing.
Always working on adding more to my list!

I think I'm in pretty good standing for my application, as long as I get my grades, do well in UKCAT and maybe resit maths and english lang GCSE. I'm prepared to do that if it means getting to where I want to be.
But everyday seems to get harder and harder. Not academically. I can cope fine with the work load, etc. But it's at home where I'm finding trouble coping.
My brother is 19, has a job in Asda, pays his way and just sticks to himself, he understands how hard it is to live here. He gave up on his A levels because of the living conditions here, which is a shame because he's smart, way smarter than me in my opinion. My mam works 9-5, 5 days a week, she doesn't get paid much, even with me and my brother chipping in what we can, most days we don't eat. The house we live in is in a bad area, my room is damp and the walls have mould on, I have wipe the ceiling with a towel often to stop the damp dripping. I feel bad whining about this because I know there are some people much worse off in the world. I just can't take it any-more. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm used to feeling hungry all of the time. Any money that me and my brother earn goes on electric, gas, travel costs, and whatever food we can afford with whatever is left. When my mam gets paid at the end of the month it's usually okay for a few days, we eat pretty regular for 3/4 days but then the money is gone and it's back to the same old sh*t. I am getting stressed again, stressed and angry, punching walls and doors because my own mother won't even listen to me any-more. I don't think I can cope for much longer and each day it gets worse. Being in the army I sometimes go away for weekends and they are literally the best times I could ever had, I get to eat properly and the stress isn't there any-more. I'm 17 years old, growing up in a busy city, I shouldn't be worried about not eating or having enough money to put the electric on for heating. All of my friends get everything they need to live and more, I don't understand why I'm living like this. I feel like sh*t for complaining about this because I know there are a LOT more people who live in far worse situations, and I should be happy for what little I do have, but I'm not, I'm miserable.
Every day I consider transferring to full time Army, moving into the barracks and never coming back.
I want to be a doctor so badly, but I'm starting to doubt whether it's worth going through all of this for another year or more.
What should I do?
Don't give up. Your grades are pretty good really (no once cares about GCSEs when you have tasty A levels.
Your work experience is impressive and shows that you really have put a lot of thought into this and that it is something that you have aspired to do for a long time.
I know living in a (sorry) complete ****hole is horrible, especially when your bro is starting to pay his way and your mum works hard too.

If I were you I'd not give up. By getting yourself good A levels you will be able to get into uni, which you will be able to afford with government grants and loans, especially if you're used to spending money sensibly.

Go to uni and become a doctor, and then you will have the means to break the cycle of working in crap jobs and living in a mouldy damp house. You'll never be satisfied if you have all that potential, are obviously very clever and then go into a career which is a dead end and doesn't require you to use your brain at all.

If you really want to join the army you could become an army doctor and have them fund you through your med school.
Reply 7554
Dont give up! it seems like you're really passionate about medicine! times are hard, I understand but keep your head high! you havent got that long to go! work hard and try and forget about everything else! just focus 100% on your studies! and it'll pay off, a year seems like a long time but in comparison to your future, its really nothing!

work hard and get the grades you need to get into uni, heck! you may even get a scholarship! and i promise you it'll pay off. i know it seems like the end of the world right now but remember that no condition is permanent! you have more work experience than A LOT of other students that;ll be applying and that will give you an edge when it comes to employment and all that! you're on the right track! DONT GIVE UP!!
Original post by Goldentiger

OK, that was on the verge of being TL;DR. I am a 2Lt in the TA RAMC.

You are right in thinking your GCSEs are not great. You will need to be prepared to apply tactically and make concessions and have an explanation. However, you are on the right track with your A levels and you have a nice collection of extra curriculars. Nothing however will compensate for not having a decent set of A levels and a good UKCAT, so keep your head down.

Your living situation is a different matter. Firstly, working 9-5 five days a week is a normal working week. Whilst it is unfortunate that there is damp etc and you cannot turn the heating on, that is something that is experienced by a lot of people, especially students. As an example, I lived in a house in second year that was so damp there was mould regularly growing on the ceilings of the rooms and my flatmates were reluctant to keep the heating on, so it was cold most of the time.

You need to sit down and have a conversation with your mum and see where you can budget. You have two earners in the house, effectively, and what you bring in from the TA and EMA if you are eligible. Construct a budget, make it tight and stick to it. Don't waste money on 'luxury' items unless you can set aside one or two items a week. You can create very nutritious and tasty meals from the value ranges of most supermarkets for a couple of pounds per day. This will be good training for you as a student if you ever do decide to go down that route :wink: Cut out the booze, cut out the cigarettes, cut out the Sky if you have it and money is that tight. Take public transport instead of driving if you have a car. These are all general tips that may or may not apply to you, but hopefully you understand what I am getting at here.

With regards to what you want to do, only you know what is best for you. The Army will be a good career for you if you so choose to do go down that route and it will provide a nice, managed environment for you. At the end of the day, you will have to call the shots on this one. If you do decide to go into medicine, you will be eligible for a commission in your fourth year.

As a general recommendation, do not go around punching walls and 'getting angry'. That behaviour is not constructive and will only serve to get you in trouble (and an early discharge) and alienate yourself from your mother. Go out for a run instead. We all have stress to deal with, from all aspects of life and it is part of being an adult that you channel that in the right way. Invariably, you will experience more stresses in life...if you decide to go to medical school, you will have all the financial concerns coupled with academic work, full time placements, long periods of isolation etc. It is best not to get into destructive patterns now whilst you are still young.
Original post by Goldentiger

You might be entitled to apply to a foundation course because of your situation and other factors. You'll find foundation courses have lower GCSE requirements. I know UEA and Southampton offer these foundation courses, research it. :biggrin:
Original post by NutterFrutter
You might be entitled to apply to a foundation course because of your situation and other factors. You'll find foundation courses have lower GCSE requirements. I know UEA and Southampton offer these foundation courses, research it. :biggrin:

Yeah, I have been looking at these, they may be better off for me, cheers.

Original post by digitalis
OK, that was on the verge of being TL;DR. I am a 2Lt in the TA RAMC.

You are right in thinking your GCSEs are not great. You will need to be prepared to apply tactically and make concessions and have an explanation. However, you are on the right track with your A levels and you have a nice collection of extra curriculars. Nothing however will compensate for not having a decent set of A levels and a good UKCAT, so keep your head down.

Your living situation is a different matter. Firstly, working 9-5 five days a week is a normal working week. Whilst it is unfortunate that there is damp etc and you cannot turn the heating on, that is something that is experienced by a lot of people, especially students. As an example, I lived in a house in second year that was so damp there was mould regularly growing on the ceilings of the rooms and my flatmates were reluctant to keep the heating on, so it was cold most of the time.

You need to sit down and have a conversation with your mum and see where you can budget. You have two earners in the house, effectively, and what you bring in from the TA and EMA if you are eligible. Construct a budget, make it tight and stick to it. Don't waste money on 'luxury' items unless you can set aside one or two items a week. You can create very nutritious and tasty meals from the value ranges of most supermarkets for a couple of pounds per day. This will be good training for you as a student if you ever do decide to go down that route :wink: Cut out the booze, cut out the cigarettes, cut out the Sky if you have it and money is that tight. Take public transport instead of driving if you have a car. These are all general tips that may or may not apply to you, but hopefully you understand what I am getting at here.

With regards to what you want to do, only you know what is best for you. The Army will be a good career for you if you so choose to do go down that route and it will provide a nice, managed environment for you. At the end of the day, you will have to call the shots on this one. If you do decide to go into medicine, you will be eligible for a commission in your fourth year.

As a general recommendation, do not go around punching walls and 'getting angry'. That behaviour is not constructive and will only serve to get you in trouble (and an early discharge) and alienate yourself from your mother. Go out for a run instead. We all have stress to deal with, from all aspects of life and it is part of being an adult that you channel that in the right way. Invariably, you will experience more stresses in life...if you decide to go to medical school, you will have all the financial concerns coupled with academic work, full time placements, long periods of isolation etc. It is best not to get into destructive patterns now whilst you are still young.

You're right, I've calmed down a bit now from making the post, I had anger problems until the age of 9 and I don't want them resurfacing. I've tried talking to my mam in the past and she has no intention of listening, she said herself any time I bring this stuff up she just zones out on purpose because she doesn't care. I know I'm probably complaining about what a lot of people are going through, but it just seems so difficult and I needed someone to talk to. Thanks for posting.

Original post by AYO
Dont give up! it seems like you're really passionate about medicine! times are hard, I understand but keep your head high! you havent got that long to go! work hard and try and forget about everything else! just focus 100% on your studies! and it'll pay off, a year seems like a long time but in comparison to your future, its really nothing!

work hard and get the grades you need to get into uni, heck! you may even get a scholarship! and i promise you it'll pay off. i know it seems like the end of the world right now but remember that no condition is permanent! you have more work experience than A LOT of other students that;ll be applying and that will give you an edge when it comes to employment and all that! you're on the right track! DONT GIVE UP!!

Thanks, your post has made me feel better. I'm just gonna put my head down and try and put everything aside. Whatever happens I just want to get away, if I get rejected on my first application, that gap year will be even worse, but I suppose I could just work and then volunteer somewhere abroad to get away.
Thanks again for your post.

Original post by stroppyninja
Don't give up. Your grades are pretty good really (no once cares about GCSEs when you have tasty A levels.
Your work experience is impressive and shows that you really have put a lot of thought into this and that it is something that you have aspired to do for a long time.
I know living in a (sorry) complete ****hole is horrible, especially when your bro is starting to pay his way and your mum works hard too.

If I were you I'd not give up. By getting yourself good A levels you will be able to get into uni, which you will be able to afford with government grants and loans, especially if you're used to spending money sensibly.

Go to uni and become a doctor, and then you will have the means to break the cycle of working in crap jobs and living in a mouldy damp house. You'll never be satisfied if you have all that potential, are obviously very clever and then go into a career which is a dead end and doesn't require you to use your brain at all.

If you really want to join the army you could become an army doctor and have them fund you through your med school.

Thanks, I think I'm just going to focus on my studies for another year, become more independent because trying to reach out in my family is like walking on a tight rope over the grand canyon, blindfolded and on your hands. Then I can finally get away, the thought of that will keep me going at least.
It's just hard sometimes when no-one even listens to you!
Thanks for your post, it's made me feel better at least.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by zhang599
Well relevant and good work experience/volunteering is needed, but I'm sure you knew that already :smile: For both UKCAT and BMAT, revise at least a month beforehand - there's some good books on amazon. For the UKCAT try to aim for average of 670, a score of at least 700 would be ideal. For BMAT try to get at least 5 5 3A, score of 6 6 4A would place you in a safe zone :smile: Not sure about oxford but for Cambridge make sure you AS UMS marks are high - in the high 90% area. Hope that helps :smile:

I did indeed know that :smile: But how much work experience do you think it necessary to have? I have done a couple of weeks but I understand that it is more what you learn than how much you do..? I will definitely make sure I get some books and aim for those scores! Thanks again :smile: So are you already at medical school or are you applying there soon?
Original post by acebutterfly
I did indeed know that :smile: But how much work experience do you think it necessary to have? I have done a couple of weeks but I understand that it is more what you learn than how much you do..? I will definitely make sure I get some books and aim for those scores! Thanks again :smile: So are you already at medical school or are you applying there soon?

I think you'll need at least 1 week hospital work experience -. I did 2 weeks hospital work experience, about 3 one month volunteering placement and one 1 year volunteering placement. And yeah it is definitely more what you learn then quantity :smile: The key factor is how you write what you saw/learnt during those placements in your personal statement :smile: I'm in Year 13 and got my medicine offer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending