The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7580
Original post by Emma_206
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting a little bit worried about getting into medical school.
I done really well in my GCSE's apart from English Language where I got a grade B.
I achieved 7 A *'s, and 3 A's and a distinction (additional maths) in my other subjects.

Looking at the entry requirements some universities require a grade A in English Language.

I was wondering whether to apply to these or not, and what realistic chance I have with grade B English Language in other universities.

I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths A levels and got 2 A's and 2 C's in January exams. I am re-sitting Chemistry and Physics in June to improve my grades.

I am doing all the extra stuff you need, e.g. volunteering and have most of this summer filled up doing work experience si I have this covered, it's just this English result.
I would re-sit it if I had the chance but it's too late now as they have changed the syllabus and the last re-sit was last November.

Any advice?

Congrats on those gcses! :smile: unfortunately if you apply to a university which requires an A in English language you will get rejected so don't waste one of your precious choices. However you have excellent chances with any of the other universities which only need a B in english language. :smile:
Hi Everyone,
I'm getting a little bit worried about getting into medical school.
I done really well in my GCSE's apart from English Language where I got a grade B.
I achieved 7 A *'s, and 3 A's and a distinction (additional maths) in my other subjects.
Looking at the entry requirements some universities require a grade A in English Language.
I was wondering whether to apply to these or not, and what realistic chance I have with grade B English Language in other universities.
I am taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths A levels and got 2 A's and 2 C's in January exams. I am re-sitting Chemistry and Physics in June to improve my grades.
I am doing all the extra stuff you need, e.g. volunteering and have most of this summer filled up doing work experience si I have this covered, it's just this English result.
I would re-sit it if I had the chance but it's too late now as they have changed the syllabus and the last re-sit was last November.
Any advice?

Yeah I agree with myyrh - steer cleer of the Med schools that require English Lang A :smile: You'll be fine with the other Med schools as long as the rest of your application is good, having said some med schools dislike AS resits such as Nottingham so do some research into the med schools :smile:
Reply 7582
Original post by myyrh
Congrats on those gcses! :smile: unfortunately if you apply to a university which requires an A in English language you will get rejected so don't waste one of your precious choices. However you have excellent chances with any of the other universities which only need a B in english language. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, I've listed the universities which only require a B which makes me feel less worried as there are more than i thought there was.

As for the resits this summer I am worried i will fall down on the other exams because i have 5 exams and the 2 resits, so 7 in all. Will i be able to manage all of them, is there anyone who has been in a similar position?
Reply 7583
Thanks for the advice, I've listed the universities which only require a B which makes me feel less worried as there are more than i thought there was.

As for the resits this summer I am worried i will fall down on the other exams because i have 5 exams and the 2 resits, so 7 in all. Will i be able to manage all of them, is there anyone who has been in a similar position?

I had 9 exams (11 if you include general studies) in June during my AS including two resits in maths and physics from January. I ended up with AAAB at AS. The B was in physics which I dropped. With hard work it's doable :smile:
Reply 7584
Original post by myyrh
I had 9 exams (11 if you include general studies) in June during my AS including two resits in maths and physics from January. I ended up with AAAB at AS. The B was in physics which I dropped. With hard work it's doable :smile:

Thanks, that helps a lot and i guess it makes me less worried because i know i'm going to work really hard, so i know its achievable :smile:
thanks for the advice
Original post by myyrh
Not true at all! AAA is more than sufficient to get you in next year. A*AA is beneficial in some cases (e.g. Applying to Barts where Ucas tarrif is more important) or places that specifically ask for an A* (Cambridge). As long as you have your achieved grades you don't need to worry. Focus more on making your Gap year productive and writing a good personal statement.

Thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Will a university that requires A in English Language accept me if I have an A* in English lit, a B in Language at GCSE and an A or A* in English lit at A Level?
Reply 7587
Original post by Stephen95burrows95
Will a university that requires A in English Language accept me if I have an A* in English lit, a B in Language at GCSE and an A or A* in English lit at A Level?

I would be inclined to think not because you could argue they are two different subjects and doing well in one may not compensate for the other. However I would definitely call up the university and ask because you never know :smile:
Reply 7588
I'm interested to hear your views on a concern I have about applying for medicine.

Whilst I perform well academically (I'm an A2 student predicted A*A*A in biology, history and chemistry respectively) and others may consider me 'intelligent', I have personal doubts concerning my intelligence.

I put a large amount of work in to achieve the grades that I get: I work from 3-6pm after school (including frees) and a few hours on the weekends if necessary. A-levels themselves are not so much the concern, but the sheer volume of information that needs to be retained and the step up from A-levels that I might face with medicine is bothering me. My main two worries are:
- My maths and physics ability is average for Medical students (As at GCSE) - I understand concepts with time but I certainly can't pick up complex formula with the ease that some do.
- I tend to be a slow reader with a fair amount of re-reading. This isn't so much of a problem per se with A-levels where the reading for science subjects is very limited, but I take hours to get through pages of information, to the point where I've questioned if I have ADD or not!

Admittedly the teaching at my school isn't wonderful (most people in my sixth form barely pass their A-levels) so I consider most of the teaching time a bit of a waste and teach myself the same content before or after the lesson. I also write very meticulous - and at times possibly superfluous :tongue: - notes, yet I still find the prospect of being swamped by students who will probably be far more intelligent than me very daunting.

Am I just worrying unnecessarily? Will it just be a case of adapting as most medical students do? I know this is probably dependent on the individual and medicine isn't only about academic ability, but if anybody feels/felt the same I'd appreciate some advice (and - hopefully - reassurance!). Many thanks!

N.B. Whilst I'm in year 13, I didn't actually apply to medicine this year as I planned on taking a gap year to consider my options further and get more experience under my belt before applying.
Reply 7589
Wish I had the same 'intelligence' as you.

In case you genuinely thing you may not be clever enough, you are. Especially as you've got into the habbit of working lots in your spare time.
Reply 7590
You're worrying unnecessarily. Medicine is less about intelligence, and more about work ethic, which you certainly have. Although I would have applied this year if I was you, even if it was just to get the experience of the ukcat and interviews.

After you get your grades, don't underestimate the ukcat! It seems to be becoming more and more important in admissions selections. You'll be on a gap year though, so you should have a good amount of time to sit it. A lot of places won't even give you an interview without a high enough ukcat, so please please study for it! Practice definitely makes you better, despite what some people say.
Reply 7591
Original post by Elwyn
Wish I had the same 'intelligence' as you.

In case you genuinely thing you may not be clever enough, you are. Especially as you've got into the habbit of working lots in your spare time.

Thank you; I hope I've not come across as arrogant in that post, if that's what your first sentence implied. If not, please ignore me! :smile:
Reply 7592
Original post by KCosmo
You're worrying unnecessarily. Medicine is less about intelligence, and more about work ethic, which you certainly have. Although I would have applied this year if I was you, even if it was just to get the experience of the ukcat and interviews.

After you get your grades, don't underestimate the ukcat! It seems to be becoming more and more important in admissions selections. You'll be on a gap year though, so you should have a good amount of time to sit it. A lot of places won't even give you an interview without a high enough ukcat, so please please study for it! Practice definitely makes you better, despite what some people say.

That's really wonderful to hear. I can see the sense in what you said about applying this year, but unfortunately I wasn't in a great position to apply at the time without being too specific!

Thanks for the advice regarding the UKCAT, the knowledge that I'd have more time to dedicate for the admissions tests was certainly a contributing factor in deciding to leave my application. I'll make sure to get hold of as many practice questions as I can.

Thanks again!
Reply 7593
Original post by Danyarl
Thank you; I hope I've not come across as arrogant in that post, if that's what your first sentence implied. If not, please ignore me! :smile:

No I just meant that I wish I had the same worth ethic as you, I stuggle to motivate myself to work in my spare time now, let alone during school.
Original post by Danyarl
I'm interested to hear your views on a concern I have about applying for medicine.

Whilst I perform well academically (I'm an A2 student predicted A*A*A in biology, history and chemistry respectively) and others may consider me 'intelligent', I have personal doubts concerning my intelligence.

I put a large amount of work in to achieve the grades that I get: I work from 3-6pm after school (including frees) and a few hours on the weekends if necessary. A-levels themselves are not so much the concern, but the sheer volume of information that needs to be retained and the step up from A-levels that I might face with medicine is bothering me. My main two worries are:
- My maths and physics ability is average for Medical students (As at GCSE) - I understand concepts with time but I certainly can't pick up complex formula with the ease that some do.

Bugger me. Working 3 hours after school every day? I made it a rule that I never took anything home with me in A levels, did all the work I needed to at school.

Trust, there is nothing more complicated than A2 chemistry. Nothing I did in med school trumped that (USMLE was a different kettle of fish) Med school is just rote learning stacks of information, not particularly difficult.

My maths is crap, seriously. I wouldn't worry about it.
Original post by digitalis
Bugger me. Working 3 hours after school every day? I made it a rule that I never took anything home with me in A levels, did all the work I needed to at school.

Trust, there is nothing more complicated than A2 chemistry. Nothing I did in med school trumped that (USMLE was a different kettle of fish) Med school is just rote learning stacks of information, not particularly difficult.

My maths is crap, seriously. I wouldn't worry about it.

Isn't Biochemistry in medschool essentially similar to A2 chemistry in terms of the organic chem involved?
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a medic yet), but I would have assumed that's a bit more complex than A2 chemistry.
Original post by Giggy88
Isn't Biochemistry in medschool essentially similar to A2 chemistry in terms of the organic chem involved?
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a medic yet), but I would have assumed that's a bit more complex than A2 chemistry.

I did a teeny weeny amount of biochemistry at Barts. As I understand it, they have brought a little more but nothing compared to our Atlantic colleagues.

Much less chemistry than A level. You will not be expected to explain or draw out structures being say reduced, just memorise the sequence and which are the rate limiting steps etc and which enzyme does what. It really is that simple.

On a day to day basis, the only chemistry that I use is the very most basic acid-base. As in CO2 + H20= H2CO3 and pH = HCO3/PCO2
Original post by Giggy88

Ours was, but the general opinion seems to be that this is not the case everywhere.
Original post by Giggy88

It is and it isn't.

It is in the sense that you need to account for more variables and apply the information. In terms of the material - there are a few more concepts that get stretched a long way. Most of metabolism is OK once you understand the general principles - and are willing to do a LOT of donkey work. Things like inborn errors of metabolism are not complicated because they're inherently diffcult to understand - but they get complicated because you have to figure out exactly where the problem in and the consequences that flow from that - across the whole body. This is the whole more variables.

In general the vast majority of medical students just crack on with the work - you adapt to the pace you are set. Most student who fail in the first year fail because they are not organised enough to work, or just don't work. IMO second year is different and takes a bit of cunning to pass, but everyone gets there.
Reply 7599
I always worry about going on these threads and finding someone with 3 C grades saying "should I apply for medicine?" but no you are clearly good enough for the course :smile:

Yes it does have a heavy workload, but i'm sure you'll be able to keep up if you're achieving straight A*s :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending