The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7620
Original post by bleble360
Will a AAA prediction at A level be okay? I know it sounds stupid but a lot of universities say on their websites "many of our students exceed academic requirements", I say this as i'm unsure if I can get any A* predictions.

Check this site ^^

That should help narrow down your list of university choices :smile:

:h:
Original post by zhang599
AAA prediction is definitely ok for medicine, just make sure you apply to the right med schools :smile:

Thanks!

Original post by Vulpes
Check this site ^^

That should help narrow down your list of university choices :smile:

:h:

Okay this site has helped a lot! Thanks :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
Lord of Medicine :adore:

I can only begin to decipher what some of those words may mean... :eek:

One simple rule of thumb is that the body regulates water by sodium, and for every molecule of sodium, retained, you must excrete either a molecule of potassium or hydrogen...
Original post by Wangers
One simple rule of thumb is that the body regulates water by sodium, and for every molecule of sodium, retained, you must excrete either a molecule of potassium or hydrogen...

Someone hasn't been doing their chemistry for some time :colondollar:
remember that Med schools wants dedicated students, and naturally smart so attempt to show a bit of flair at interviews and personality,
shows you have confidence, a bonus for all medical applicants is a bubbly character - that future patients will adore!
Reply 7625
I still don't feel clever enough and apparently they pay me now...
Original post by thegodofgod
Someone hasn't been doing their chemistry for some time :colondollar:

At the risk of being really arrogant, and because I'm in a particularly bad mood because I've just noticed how much work revision is, admittedly this is my own fault.

**** off. I haven't done chemistry in a while, that's because I'm at medical school.
Hi, I'm after some feedback from some medical students, or anyone who knows about the ins and outs of the application process.

I was a straight A student in high school, predicted 10 A/A*s. I fell pregnant with my daughter in my last year and my final results suffered.
I'm now in college doing Chem, Human Biology, Psychology and Maths predicted As. I've done a year's foundation course in Humanities for mature students with Swansea Uni and I'm my UKCAT test scores are pretty good and improving. I have a background in dealing with long term illness, as my mother suffers with fibromyalgia, and I have some volunteer work lined up.

I'm working my ass off since I know I wont be happy unless I try.

But the big question is, will my GCSEs ruin my chances of getting into med school or can they take mitigating circumstances into account?

PS. I've particularly got my eye on Peninsula, so any info about you can give would be great.

Thanks!
Reply 7628
Depends on your GCSE's, I got no A*s at A-level and have an offer from Peninsula :smile:
Reply 7629
Original post by Bree-bugs713
Hi, I'm after some feedback from some medical students, or anyone who knows about the ins and outs of the application process.

I was a straight A student in high school, predicted 10 A/A*s. I fell pregnant with my daughter in my last year and my final results suffered.
I'm now in college doing Chem, Human Biology, Psychology and Maths predicted As. I've done a year's foundation course in Humanities for mature students with Swansea Uni and I'm my UKCAT test scores are pretty good and improving. I have a background in dealing with long term illness, as my mother suffers with fibromyalgia, and I have some volunteer work lined up.

I'm working my ass off since I know I wont be happy unless I try.

But the big question is, will my GCSEs ruin my chances of getting into med school or can they take mitigating circumstances into account?

PS. I've particularly got my eye on Peninsula, so any info about you can give would be great.

Thanks!

I also commend your determination, with the circumstances, (mention them to the uni)

I can't imagine your GCSE's hindering you too much in this case :smile:
I'm no medicine student but I think actually stating your GCSE's might help in assessing your chances :smile:

It definitely looks like you're on the right track though and your determination will hopefully pay off.

Best of luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by airdoc
Depends on your GCSE's, I got no A*s at A-level and have an offer from Peninsula :smile:

Mostly As and Bs, couple of Cs at GCSE, but against the super-docs with a million and one A*s, its a bit of a black mark.

How are the interviews at Peninsula?
Reply 7632
Original post by Bree-bugs713
Mostly As and Bs, couple of Cs at GCSE, but against the super-docs with a million and one A*s, its a bit of a black mark.

How are the interviews at Peninsula?

Peninsula rank on your UKCAT and Alevel grades or equivalents. these can be predicted or actual.

The interview at Peninsula is cool, the interviewers are nice as well, they have a standardised interview so its probably one of the fairest ones in the country :biggrin:
Original post by Wangers
At the risk of being really arrogant, and because I'm in a particularly bad mood because I've just noticed how much work revision is, admittedly this is my own fault.

**** off. I haven't done chemistry in a while, that's because I'm at medical school.

How mature of you :rolleyes:
Awesome, thanks airdoc :smile:
Reply 7635
How could i decide what i want to even do? I'm deciding between medicine and chemistry and natural sciences.

If i'm not this sure about medicine now, is it not the right thing for me? Everybody seems to go on about being 100% for it, and all passionate.

I love human biology and the idea of being active as a doctor is something i would enjoy (i can't sit in one place for too long without getting fidgety and annoyed).

SO WHAT DO I DO?!?! :s-smilie:
Reply 7636
Original post by Abhalla
How could i decide what i want to even do? I'm deciding between medicine and chemistry and natural sciences.

If i'm not this sure about medicine now, is it not the right thing for me? Everybody seems to go on about being 100% for it, and all passionate.

I love human biology and the idea of being active as a doctor is something i would enjoy (i can't sit in one place for too long without getting fidgety and annoyed).

SO WHAT DO I DO?!?! :s-smilie:

The reason why people say you need to be 100% is because it's so hard to go through the rigorous process of applying with every chance you could end up with no offers. Not everyone who applies is 100% on medicine, some put down fifth choices in a subject which they would seriously consider doing at university. You need to have a certain degree of passion and dedication to medicine because you need to be able to convey that in an interview situation. The degree is long and you will continue to study even after you graduate so you need to really be prepared for what you are getting yourself in to. Work experience and volunteering really help you decide whether its the career for you. It's a chance for you to familiarise yourself within a clinical environment and if gives you an insight into what you could potentially be doing in five years time. Out of the three degrees you have listed which is the one you want to do most? If you decide on medicine your application has to be completely devoted to the subject but you could send a supplementary personal statement to your fifth choice institution. :smile:
Reply 7637
Original post by myyrh
The reason why people say you need to be 100% is because it's so hard to go through the rigorous process of applying with every chance you could end up with no offers. Not everyone who applies is 100% on medicine, some put down fifth choices in a subject which they would seriously consider doing at university. You need to have a certain degree of passion and dedication to medicine because you need to be able to convey that in an interview situation. The degree is long and you will continue to study even after you graduate so you need to really be prepared for what you are getting yourself in to. Work experience and volunteering really help you decide whether its the career for you. It's a chance for you to familiarise yourself within a clinical environment and if gives you an insight into what you could potentially be doing in five years time. Out of the three degrees you have listed which is the one you want to do most? If you decide on medicine your application has to be completely devoted to the subject but you could send a supplementary personal statement to your fifth choice institution. :smile:

Thanks for all the information. I can't really decide on which i favour the most, i want to do all of them! They all interest me a lot! But my mum clearly wants me to do medicine. I'm just unsure right now, but i need to decide soon. I think i'll do work experience in the summer (hopefully) and see how it goes, but i really like biology and chemistry, so i'm looking for anything involving those subjects, BUT well paid. I need to do some volunteering too (i've done nothing except get good grades :frown: )

Somebody told me that if you're applying to medicine, you can only apply to 4 universities, because it's so competitive.

BUT, Could you explain why everyone says it's so competitive? In many prospectuses, it says that there is 1 place given per 7 applicants. I'm not saying that's good or anything, but i've seen a lot worse for natural sciences/chemistry/etc. So why? Thanks for the help. :smile:
Reply 7638
Original post by Abhalla
Thanks for all the information. I can't really decide on which i favour the most, i want to do all of them! They all interest me a lot! But my mum clearly wants me to do medicine. I'm just unsure right now, but i need to decide soon. I think i'll do work experience in the summer (hopefully) and see how it goes, but i really like biology and chemistry, so i'm looking for anything involving those subjects, BUT well paid. I need to do some volunteering too (i've done nothing except get good grades :frown: )

Somebody told me that if you're applying to medicine, you can only apply to 4 universities, because it's so competitive.

BUT, Could you explain why everyone says it's so competitive? In many prospectuses, it says that there is 1 place given per 7 applicants. I'm not saying that's good or anything, but i've seen a lot worse for natural sciences/chemistry/etc. So why? Thanks for the help. :smile:

It's very competitive for a number of reasons. Number one being it's over subscribed. You won't find medicine courses through extra or clearing. The application process itself is grueling. You apply before everyone else and are usually the last to hear :rolleyes: You have to cross hurdles like obtaining work experience/volunteering, doing well in admission tests and showing you are a well rounded individual on paper through lots of extra curriculars. If a university feels that out of the thousands of applications, they see that you are a strong candidate you will be invited to an interview. This in itself is another giant hurdle. Even if you think your interview went smoothly and you felt you said all the right things and demonstrated all the right qualities, you could still end up getting rejected. Lastly if you are lucky enough to secure an offer, it would be a minimum of AAA or equivalent. For most other courses available, it's not uncommon to obtain 5/5 offers with a decent set of grades and a good personal statement. For medicine you have do exceptionally well to obtain 1/4 of your choices. Medical schools each have their own unique admission policies which are strictly adhered to e.g. one medical school could place massive emphasis on personal statement whilst another places a lot on a good UKCAT score. The selection process in some cases is subjective and unsuccessful applicants are left thinking what more could they have done. The key to a maximising your chances is to research your choices extensively and apply to your strengths. Through this, you have a greater chance of obtaining interviews and then offers :cool:
Original post by Abhalla

I am in the same boat. Good grades but not enough experience. It makes me think I might fail at interview. Me and two friends saw this medical experience week online with a company called Medic Journey International. Have you heard of it? Apparently you get experience and they teach you about getting into medical school at the same time.

Was wondering if anyone has done this course?

Latest

Trending

Trending