The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8100
Original post by HassanAD
Well we done all our English language CW and the final exam was in January so the teacher could add up all of them together and give an estimate. And if I do resit the exam in sixth form do I have to do it through the school or some other way because I never heard of this before. Btw my exam board is AQA for English.

Hmm that's odd. I was always under the impression that the final written exams are around this time :s-smilie: At least it was when I did it (did AQA English as well). You would have to do it through the school. I'm not sure how your school operates exam entries but it may involve you either talking to the exams officer or your teacher and ask to be entered for a certain exam and for your grade to be re-certified.
Reply 8101
Original post by myyrh
Hmm that's odd. I was always under the impression that the final written exams are around this time :s-smilie: At least it was when I did it (did AQA English as well). You would have to do it through the school. I'm not sure how your school operates exam entries but it may involve you either talking to the exams officer or your teacher and ask to be entered for a certain exam and for your grade to be re-certified.

We do have an exam now but it's the literature one and alright ill check with the school tomorrow, so I defo need a B then?
Reply 8102
We do have an exam now but it's the literature one and alright ill check with the school tomorrow, so I defo need a B then?

English literature is not a requirement for medicine at GCSE and it can't substitute for English language because they're two different subjects. Yes I would say the B is pretty essential as it's extremely difficult to get a place with a C.
Original post by myyrh
It's possible but you'll make it really hard for yourself because very few medical schools accept applicants with a C in English language so your choices will be very narrowed. You could resit the English Language in your sixth form years. If you are doing your GCSEs now then there is still a chance to bring that English Language grade up.

Hey erm sorry for the random message but i see your a reapplicant and u got all ur offers! gratz. do you mind me asking what you got for your a levels first time around? and did you re-sit any units in ur 3rd (or gap year if u took one) when u reapplied? I want to know because i got rejected from all my medical schools but im definantly going to reapply next year. Im thinking of taking a gap year because im pretty sure ill get my grades, but say if i have to re-sit a unit if i didnt get my grade will uni's look at it unfavourably? will i be disadvantaged? Then it doesnt become a gap year right? more like a retake year??
Reply 8104
Original post by Hanz_a93
Hey erm sorry for the random message but i see your a reapplicant and u got all ur offers! gratz. do you mind me asking what you got for your a levels first time around? and did you re-sit any units in ur 3rd (or gap year if u took one) when u reapplied? I want to know because i got rejected from all my medical schools but im definantly going to reapply next year. Im thinking of taking a gap year because im pretty sure ill get my grades, but say if i have to re-sit a unit if i didnt get my grade will uni's look at it unfavourably? will i be disadvantaged? Then it doesnt become a gap year right? more like a retake year??

I'll PM you because I don't feel right hijacking this guys thread :smile:
Original post by myyrh

ok thanks :smile:
Reply 8106
Original post by myyrh

Actually I'd like to know what GCSE grades you got as well as your A level grades to, could show me what kind of grades I need to be getting :smile:
sorry i meant B :tongue:
Reply 8108
Original post by Hanz_a93

Actually I'd like to know what GCSE grades you got as well as your A level grades to, could show me what kind of grades I need to be getting :smile:

GCSE-4A*,6A and a C(French)
AS-AAABBE in Biology, Maths, Geography, Physics, General Studies and Critical thinking respectively
A2-AAB in Maths, Geography and Biology respectively. As of January 2012 AAA (Biology now an A)
AS and A2 Chemistry currently being done during my gap year.

So yeah I'm a resitter. I applied to foundation courses last year but didn't get any offers. Planned to get AAA and reapply whilst taking an AS in Chemistry but I missed out on an A in Biology and I was pretty much screwed. Most medical schools will not accept a resit applicant. There are only a few which do but they have their own special requirements just to make it that much more difficult. E.g. some need you to have achieved a minimum of AAB and then proceed to ask for A*s in the subject being resat, whilst others may ask for you to talk about the resitting circumstances in your personal statement. Avoid resitting at all costs! Get those As first time round. I was very fortunate to actually get offers but most resitters aren't so lucky. It still counts as a gap year, the only difference being you take some exams again during the exam season (January or June).
Reply 8109
Original post by _sparks
sorry i meant B :tongue:

Well you could apply but you would be rejected straight away :frown: If a university asks for a certain grade in a certain subject (e.g. B in English Language) then that's their minimum requirement which must be met.
I think you can also resit some gcse's (important one's like maths and english) in October. Look into that.

I know it's possible to get in with a C at GCSE
I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C, My C is in welsh lit first language, I still maintain that that GCSE was harder than any A level I took.
Needed to remember 15 poems, book, film study, do comprehension in the exam, do coursework aswell.
Gah it was horrible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by CpnCornetto
I think you can also resit some gcse's (important one's like maths and english) in October. Look into that.

I know it's possible to get in with a C at GCSE
I got 2A* 1A 6B's and a C, My C is in welsh lit first language, I still maintain that that GCSE was harder than any A level I took.
Needed to remember 15 poems, book, film study, do comprehension in the exam, do coursework aswell.
Gah it was horrible.

do you know how that would work with regards to applying to med next year? applied this year with C in english lang and had 1 interview but didnt get in. if i retake english language this year in october and i'm applying this october will it be counted?

cheers
Hello everyone,
I've got no clue which medical schools should I apply to in the UK?
I did my GCSEs outside UK (makes me international), got
A*= Biology
A*= Language Subject
A= History
B= Geography
B= Religious studies
B= Math
B= Chemistry
C= English (as second language)
so appeared for IELTS and got a score of 7.0
D= Physics
Im a year 12 student, and doing my AS from one of the private colleges in London. I've been predicted an AAAA (in biology, chem, math, language subject) though for Jan exams I ended up getting a BCC (I'd be retaking all of 'em for As) and would be appearing for language subject (my 4th AS) this october only!

I'm also working like nuts for BMAT and UKCAT, hopefully would get a high score.

Additionally, I have 30 hours of Volunteer Work at two clinics and a First Aid Course Certificate from a very well known hospital.
I'll pull up these 30 hours to 50 or 60 hours in summers by working with a GP in his clinic.

Where do I apply for medicine with these grades? It can be anywhere in the UK. Suggestions? Help would be really appreciated :smile:
See here :smile:
Reply 8114
Original post by Potally_Tissed
See here :smile:

Hey hey :smile:

As you're a mod and a PS helper.

Could you please link me up with some medicine Personal statements please? :colondollar:
Original post by fletchdd02
Hey hey :smile:
As you're a mod and a PS helper.
Could you please link me up with some medicine Personal statements please? :colondollar:

There's plenty on the wiki page : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:Medicine_Personal_Statements
Reply 8116

Just what I was after, thank you :smile:
Original post by delllboy
do you know how that would work with regards to applying to med next year? applied this year with C in english lang and had 1 interview but didnt get in. if i retake english language this year in october and i'm applying this october will it be counted?

cheers

You'd have to contact uni's about their individual GCSE resit policies tbh, I wouldn't be able to say about their individual admissions since I didn't resit GCSE's, just soldiered on with the ones i have.
Hiya, I am finishing my GCSEs and I need to know how realistic it is for me to be able to go into medicine. My GCSE grades are;

English Language: A*
English Literature: A*
Biology: A/A*
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Maths: B
Economics: A
RE: A
ICT: B/A
Spanish: B

I ideally would love to go to Nottingham university - how realistic is this?
Reply 8119
what are you expecting to hear?

GCSE's are only a small part of whats required to get in to a medicine degree. No one is going to be able to tell you how realistic it is or isnt,based purely on your possible GCSE results.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending