The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by g.k.galloway
heya, i'm in year 11 and making a-level choices (already have them chosen but am having some concerns..)

at the moment i've got -
biology
chemistry
maths
economics

but I was wondering whether to swap econ. for physics? I'm not sure which universities prefer or whether it doesn't matter too much for the 4th choice as it will most likely be the one i drop...

thanks !

I took bio, chem, phys and economics at AS and then dropped phys for A level. I absolutely loved economics and it was my favourite subject by far.

Just do what you think you will enjoy. I found econ gave a nice change to the sciences and it kept my essay skills sharp.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by oli_G
I did some wxp at a GPs before being 16. Depends on the practice though and their policy :smile:

oh okay then :-)
Original post by Steerforth
I took bio, chem, phys and economics at AS and then dropped phys for A level. I absolutely loved economics and it was my favourite subject by far.

Just do what you think you will enjoy. I found econ gave a nice change to the sciences and it kept my essay skills sharp.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks for the comments guys and girls, I'll drop a few medicals schools a call/email and ask for the best course of action.

the thing is I'm at a point in my career whereif worst case scenario I quit my job and the medicine thing doesn't work out (I will do everything possible to make it work though) then I could just walk back into the same job as without trying to be big headed I'm good at what I do. I have already discussed it with work and they say they would be happy to have me back if it all goes belly up so I might as well give it a shout instead of wondering what if for the rest of my life!
Reply 8184
Hi,
I'm currently doing my AS levels. I would like to do medicine at uni but it's very complicated!!
I got good gcse's (mostly A's and a few B's) so at the beginning of the year i was doing Eng lit, chem, theology (RE) and history. I had thought about medicine before sixth form but changed my mind. Around christmas I realised how stupid I had been as medicine is what i wanted to do! So I now have a biology tutor and do that outside school.
The january exams did not go so well... I got a C in my first chem exam and E's in history and theology. I proceeded to drop history!
Medicine is want I want to do and I have the relevant work experience and I'd like to think the relevant personality but I don't think I will get the grades!!
I have thought about the foundation courses but on most of them you have to meet criteria that I do not!
I would love to study abroad but the grade boundaries are not really any lower!
I don't want to waste a year applying and not get in as it is the length of the course that put me off in the first place!
Any advice?
Reply 8185
hey guys i love you all very much, tell me if im good enough-
wow that actually rhymed.
GCSE-9 A'S
As AAAC PREDICTED A* A* A
WORK EXPERIENCE IN A HOSPITAL AND A DENTIST
BEAUTIFUL REFERENCE AND A NEAR PERFECT PERSONAL STATEMENT.
would i be accepted?
Reply 8186
Original post by 6salhaba
GCSE-9 A'S
would i be accepted?

I don't think it rhymed :tongue: Anyway noone here can tell you whether or not you would be accepted. A lot of things factor in such as where you decide to apply and the universities individual requirements. You may think your personal statement Is good but bear in mind that schools look for different qualities so there is no "perfect statement". Your C at AS may restrict your choices a bit so try and get that improved. If not, as long as you apply smart and do well in your admission tests, you can give your self the best chance of obtaining interviews.
GCSE-9 A'S
would i be accepted?

The 9As at GCSE will restrict your university options quite a bit as most places want a 3 or 4 A*s at GCSEs.If you have got predictions of A*A*A at A2,then why did you perform so badly at GCSE?
Original post by k94n
Hi,
I'm currently doing my AS levels. I would like to do medicine at uni but it's very complicated!!
I got good gcse's (mostly A's and a few B's) so at the beginning of the year i was doing Eng lit, chem, theology (RE) and history. I had thought about medicine before sixth form but changed my mind. Around christmas I realised how stupid I had been as medicine is what i wanted to do! So I now have a biology tutor and do that outside school.
The january exams did not go so well... I got a C in my first chem exam and E's in history and theology. I proceeded to drop history!
Medicine is want I want to do and I have the relevant work experience and I'd like to think the relevant personality but I don't think I will get the grades!!
I have thought about the foundation courses but on most of them you have to meet criteria that I do not!
I would love to study abroad but the grade boundaries are not really any lower!
I don't want to waste a year applying and not get in as it is the length of the course that put me off in the first place!
Any advice?

If it is really what you want to do then having to take a forced gap year shouldn't be a problem. I don't think foundation courses would suit your application considering you are studying chem. Studying med abroad is an option, but I would always recommend applying to UK universities first.

You really need to focus on getting a decent set of A-level results, as without this, your choices and chances to study medicine are seriously reduced. It is possible to get good A-levels after a poor AS year - it just takes lots of hard work and a lot of re-sits.

My advice would be to take the UKCAT and then re-evaluate your position. A good score will guarantee interviews if you apply smart.

Good luck
GCSE-9 A'S
would i be accepted?

Get a good UKCAT and you will maximise your chances of getting a place. What subjects do you study? And there is no such thing as a perfect personal statement. Perfection (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder. It may be perfect to you, but an interviewer may hate it.

Original post by Dalek1099
The 9As at GCSE will restrict your university options quite a bit as most places want a 3 or 4 A*s at GCSEs.If you have got predictions of A*A*A at A2,then why did you perform so badly at GCSE?

Incorrect information. And since when was 9A's bad at GCSE?
Original post by g.k.galloway
heya, i'm in year 11 and making a-level choices (already have them chosen but am having some concerns..)

at the moment i've got -
biology
chemistry
maths
economics

but I was wondering whether to swap econ. for physics? I'm not sure which universities prefer or whether it doesn't matter too much for the 4th choice as it will most likely be the one i drop...

thanks !

It doesnt matter which one you choose, id say choose the one you enjoy the most and likely to get a better grade in :smile:
Reply 8191
Original post by Steerforth
Get a good UKCAT and you will maximise your chances of getting a place. What subjects do you study? And there is no such thing as a perfect personal statement. Perfection (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder. It may be perfect to you, but an interviewer may hate it.

Incorrect information. And since when was 9A's bad at GCSE?

Thanks for your help man
I study chemistry maths and biology and physics A* predictions in Chem and bio and c in as maths.
My gcses are :
Bio: A
Chem: A
Physics: B
English lang: A
English lit: A
Geography: C
History: C
Maths: B
Statistics: C
Rs *short course* :A

Any point*
5 A's 2 B's 3 C's

What do you guys think? :/ If I don't get in when I apply I'll reapply but I was wondering what you guys think of my chances, I didn't put in the effort I should've at GCSE and now I regret it :frown: I can't afford to go abroad

If I get 3 A's at a-level do you think it'll make up for it? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8193
Has anyone any tips on how /what to prepare for Chemistry practicals?Also any ideas which would help in actual practical.....please!:frown:
Reply 8194
There's definitely a chance. Some universities place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs so you will have to do some research into which med schools require which GCSEs. Some have a minimum standard you have to match, and then they are never looked at again, others have a minimum standard but then give preference to higher numbers of A*s later on in the application process.
Remember you will also have to get work eperience, UKCAT and be able to write about ways you've demonstrated certain skills (communication, leadership etc) in your life (hobbies, jobs etc).
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Reply 8195
Original post by Girl.
There's definitely a chance. Some universities place a lot of emphasis on GCSEs so you will have to do some research into which med schools require which GCSEs. Some have a minimum standard you have to match, and then they are never looked at again, others have a minimum standard but then give preference to higher numbers of A*s later on in the application process.
Remember you will also have to get work eperience, UKCAT and be able to write about ways you've demonstrated certain skills (communication, leadership etc) in your life (hobbies, jobs etc).
Good luck with whatever you decide.

What if you got similar results at GCSE but then at A-level pulled your socks up and achieved 2 A*'s 1 A and and A at AS? Would they discount your gcse performance at places like Birmingham...?
Reply 8196
Original post by Boy.
What if you got similar results at GCSE but then at A-level pulled your socks up and achieved 2 A*'s 1 A and and A at AS? Would they discount your gcse performance at places like Birmingham...?

Pretty sure you would still need 7A* at GCSE for Birmingham. Some medical schools do slightly favour applicants who already have A level grades but afaik Birmingham is not one of them.
Reply 8197
I have had some of my AS exams, and am not expecting good results, I hastily ( and rather wrongly) picked up geography as a fifth AS and teaching my self in the space of 1 month now I'm not doing as well.

I am just wondering if universities look at AS levels for medicine that much like if I got AABBB would it matter that much to prevent me from applying to lets say Imperial or Kings?

Many thanks for your responses guys, appreciate it.
Reply 8198
Original post by MrDoctor
I have had some of my AS exams, and am not expecting good results, I hastily ( and rather wrongly) picked up geography as a fifth AS and teaching my self in the space of 1 month now I'm not doing as well.

I am just wondering if universities look at AS levels for medicine that much like if I got AABBB would it matter that much to prevent me from applying to lets say Imperial or Kings?

Not really. AS results don't matter as much as predicted grades. Most medical schools don't actually pay much attention to them (with the exception of a few e.g. Birmingham, Barts, Oxbridge). Your predictions do have to be realistic and in your case, as long as you're predicted AAA you'll be fine. Kings put most emphasis on the UKCAT and GCSE scores whilst Imperial put it on the BMAT.
Original post by MrDoctor

I got AAABB at AS level (BB in bio/chem) and got an offer from Kings. Just make sure you get predicted/achieve As. :smile: