The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

biobank
Lol not going to apply to Medicine for a 3rd time? :biggrin:

I lol'd @ I got rejected from eight (yes 8) medical schools over 2 years. lolololol

I had to take it in good humour tbh. Otherwise I would've probably killed myself.

I don't think I could justify taking another year out tbh and I'm not sure I could justify to myself that I worked my arse off to get AAABa+Merit in an AEA and not do a degree. I've already forgotten most of my A-Level work as it is.

Working as a HCA has opened my eyes to medicine a certain extent, never mind. I still know how to diagnose a #NOF and a STEMI from an ECG. I'm also trained in phlebotomy as well.
Reply 901
Does 2 weeks of work experience in a hospital and a week in a GP count as a lot of work experience?
sc0307
Does 2 weeks of work experience in a hospital and a week in a GP count as a lot of work experience?

Probably fairly average.

Quality not quantity. :yy:
sc0307

It's not A LOT, but if you write about it well it's enough to get offers!
Reply 904
Markh1000
It's not A LOT, but if you write about it well it's enough to get offers!

Thx, that's all I care about :smile:
sc0307

I wouldn't worry about the amount. You've definitely done enough, so just make sure you can write about it / talk about it at interview.
Reply 906
Onychophagia
Probably fairly average.

Quality not quantity. :yy:

I got into KCL with about 7 days of work exp.
Just talk about how insightful it was and how you saw doctors using empathy & awesome communication skills to deal with a massive variety of patients with a massive variety of ailments and how this fits perfectly with you wanting a massively varied job with new people every day and tons of interaction.

BUT i think the more pre-thought out your answer is the more likely they wont be impressed.
Reply 907
Jonty99
I wouldn't worry about the amount. You've definitely done enough, so just make sure you can write about it / talk about it at interview.

thanks, would volunteering as well be essential as I only have been volunteering for a couple of months
Need some advice and I couldn't wait till morning. My work experience/voluntary work by the time I submit my application will be; a year volunteering in a care home and a week work observation in a hospital. Very bare I know but is it enough? Also is it risky to use a patient experience to open my Personal Statement or is it commonly done?
Reply 909
PythagorasChest
My average UKCAT score is really not good enough for medicine i feel!!! 600 :eek3: I'm soooooo scared now. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Also my GCSE's are like at the lower end as well, with most people here having 8 A*s ... I only have 3 A*s, 8 A's and B!!

And does anyone know if short course GCSEs count as half? So if you have 2 short course GCSE's if that counts as only 1 GCSE????

:woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

I am devastated with my UKCAT score.... :frown:

most unis don't count the short courses so you can't add them together. I panicked last year as everyone seemed to have loads of A*S but a lot of applicants don't (just lots on here!)
keep calm and find out all the unis that either do BMAT (pick 2 of them and work hard for it?)/ unis which only count ukcat for a tiny amount-some give it 4% of the score so a good ps/ reference etc will more than make up for it. you could pick 1 bmat and 3 that aren't ukcat/ gcse obsessed.
start with the links on here thru medicine FAQs then check on each unis website. It is still possible to get offers. pm me if I can help.
Reply 910
PinkLeopard
Oh my, after reading all these posts on here with people worrying about not getting into medicine with 7A* at GCSE im seriously stressing now!
How do you think i'll go on with 3A*, 6A's and 2B's at GCSE??
- im predicted 3A's at A-Level, have a really good personal statement and i think the UKCAT will be alright.
Im thinking of applying to
1)Leeds
2)Bristol
3)Manchester
4)Newcastle
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Newc and Manch shortlist based on Ukcat score ( last year cut-off 648 for newc) so depends on what you get. Leeds have 5 sections of 6 points and up to 12 for reference. they interview highesr 650 or so scores. You have roughly same grades as me and I got an offer (they use ukcat to decide after looking at all other criteria- community links/academic quals/"knowledge" of med career/responsibility/ volunteering,caring exp as far as I remember). check their website. they are very popular as do big widening access scheme.sorry-no idea about Bristol.
Reply 911
MoTheMedic
Need some advice and I couldn't wait till morning. My work experience/voluntary work by the time I submit my application will be; a year volunteering in a care home and a week work observation in a hospital. Very bare I know but is it enough? Also is it risky to use a patient experience to open my Personal Statement or is it commonly done?

its how you write about the work exp that matters-what you learnt from it. just make sure you show reasons for wanting to do med/ relevant caring exp/ positions responsibility/teamwork etc.
not sure about your ps start. most people begin by saying why they want to med so it could link to that. there are people on here who check ps for you so send it to them to get feedback
please help me in deciding my options! i got an average of 655 on my ukcat score, which isn't terribly bad, but it isn't good. considering how everyone is getting high ukcat scores, what university should i apply to? i had aimed for edinburgh initially, but my confidence level is down down down.
Hi guys,

Im wondering which unis to apply to which would be "easiest" - i know they are all difficult, but which ones i would be most likely to obtain a place for me. This is what i have so far:

UKCAT: not done yet
GCSEs: 10A*, 1A
Alevels: Predicted 5As at AS (including futher maths)
Work exp: a week at UCL & Imperial hospitals.
Volunteering: prefect, at a school for a year, disabled children for 2 years; peer-mentoring twice a week
Extra-curric: Karate, swimming, astronomy (probably my weakest section)

Ill definitely apply to Birmingham, due to my GCSEs i know i have a certain interview and a good chance. What would be other good universities to apply to that i would have a good chance of getting a place?

Thanks
Bakerbaker
Hi guys,

Im wondering which unis to apply to which would be "easiest" - i know they are all difficult, but which ones i would be most likely to obtain a place for me. This is what i have so far:

UKCAT: not done yet
GCSEs: 10A*, 1A
Alevels: Predicted 5As at AS (including futher maths)
Work exp: a week at UCL & Imperial hospitals.
Volunteering: prefect, at a school for a year, disabled children for 2 years; peer-mentoring twice a week
Extra-curric: Karate, swimming, astronomy (probably my weakest section)

Ill definitely apply to Birmingham, due to my GCSEs i know i have a certain interview and a good chance. What would be other good universities to apply to that i would have a good chance of getting a place?

Thanks

You'll be able to make an informed decision once you know your UKCAT score, as that can often rule out/open the door to some unis.

Are you considering BMAT unis too?
Markh1000
You'll be able to make an informed decision once you know your UKCAT score, as that can often rule out/open the door to some unis.

Are you considering BMAT unis too?

Yes, currently i have birmingham 100% certain, if i had to give choices right now id say Cambridge, UCL & Liverpool; so if those were my final choices UKCAT would be pointless. Is it a too big a risk for 2 BMAT unis?

If you had to say now, which unis would i be most likely to obtain a place? I was told liverpool - but im not a huge fan of PBL. Kings also doesnt look too difficult, but im not sure. Any ideas?
Bakerbaker
Yes, currently i have birmingham 100% certain, if i had to give choices right now id say Cambridge, UCL & Liverpool; so if those were my final choices UKCAT would be pointless. Is it a too big a risk for 2 BMAT unis?

If you had to say now, which unis would i be most likely to obtain a place? I was told liverpool - but im not a huge fan of PBL. Kings also doesnt look too difficult, but im not sure. Any ideas?

2 BMAT unis is fine (it would be unwise to apply to any more than that though).

What you've posted of your applicant profile is a good base for any medical school to be honest - it will depend on your personal statement/admissions tests/interviews.

You'll have to be pretty specific with the unis you apply to if you want to avoid PBL - a significant majority have it well incorporated into their teaching. Are you sure you wouldn't like it?

What do you mean by "King's doesn't look too difficult" - do you mean to get into? It's certainly no easier than the rest (and they have a fairly high UKCAT cutoff if I remember correctly).

The best advice is to apply to the courses you feel you like the most (not because you think X medical school is easier to get into) - your applicant profile is fine for any medical school, it'll just depend on the admissions test/PS/interview.
Reply 917
Hi,

Im looking at Manchester for Medicine. I got an average of 665 for my UKCAT score. Is this good enough for Manchester, and do they have a cut off point?

Thanks x
Reply 918
Tally_16
Hi,

Im looking at Manchester for Medicine. I got an average of 665 for my UKCAT score. Is this good enough for Manchester, and do they have a cut off point?

Thanks x

From Manchester's selection process document:

Stage 3. UKCAT
Applications are ranked by total UKCAT score. Top scoring applicants are invited for an interview, taking into account educational and demographic information for a full and rounded view of each applicant.

It is important to note that the UKCAT threshold will vary each year depending on how many applications we receive and how they score on their UKCAT. As a guide, last year we interviewed candidates with a range of UKCAT scores between 1990 and 3160; the majority of applicants invited for interview had achieved a total UKCAT score of 2580 or above.

Those who are not invited for interview will be informed through UCAS that their application has been unsuccessful. We aim to notify applicants who are not invited for interview of our decision by mid January 2011.
Reply 919
Hi
im not sure where to apply. I think ill be applying at sheffield and leeds. Has anyone got any suggestions:
my GCSE's 1A* 5A's 6B's and 1C
Alevel prediction: AAAc biology, chemistry and physics, maths at an as
WK EXPERIENCE: ENT department, opthalmolgy department and a day with a renal surgeon also doing a week in a nursing home, Pharmacy for 2 weeks
Extra curricular: organized a warrington peace day where i applied henna, organized a christmas party for diasbled children, reading buddies with year 7, chemistry mentoring for a group of year 9, school council and im also part of a charity/organization. i speak 3 different languages i can read arabic. help out in my grandmas shop on a weekend
UKCAT: HAVENT DONE

Latest

Trending

Trending