The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9220
Original post by Theafricanlegend
hmm. Interesting. Do you think i'm an average gcse grade medicine applicant?

Spoiler

Above average. Your GCSEs would be fine for BSMS provided those Bs aren't in the core subjects. I say this because I know who people have got offers from BSMS with lower GCSEs than that.
Original post by myyrh
Above average. Your GCSEs would be fine for BSMS provided those Bs aren't in the core subjects. I say this because I know who people have got offers from BSMS with lower GCSEs than that.

Thanks I will be considering BSMS then. They arent in core subs: Drama, media, pe, english lit :smile:
I'm quite annoyed at myself at the minute. There is basically no point in me applying this year when I know I could have done really well. My personal statement is good, my UKCAT will be ok but my GCSEs aren't great and I was planning on making up for it with great AS grades. I got lazy towards the end of the year, did really well in my January modules which were all 90%+ then just messed up my June ones.

I'm probably going to come out with:

GCSEs: A*AAAAAABB
AS: ABCC
Predicted: A*AAB
UKCAT: 675+

It's just not enough. So frustrating because I could do better in UKCAT, better in AS with better predictions. Should I bother applying this year or just wait it out? I'm thinking Glasgow, St Georges, Newcastle and I'm not really sure about the last one. BSMS?

I'm just going to post this in a few places around the medicine forum to get some help, because it's just stressing me out now.
The deadlines coming up for medicine applications and I'm really unsure which uni to go to. I'm considering Kings, Queen Mary and St georges and I'm gonna apply for the 6 year course in all of them. But could you please be honest with me about what my chances are of getting an interview from them, and whether there are some other unis where it would be more likely for me to be accepted? And where should I do my 4th choice? I'm so confused right now.

GCSEs: AAAAAAAABBBC
I also think I did alot better in AS exams than GCSEs so I'm fairly confident with that. I'm aware that my GCSEs aren't that great so I can't apply to GCSE heavy medical schools.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9224
Original post by tammie123
The deadlines coming up for medicine applications and I'm really unsure which uni to go to. I'm considering Kings, Queen Mary and St georges and I'm gonna apply for the 6 year course in all of them. But could you please be honest with me about what are my chances of getting an interview from them, and whether there are some other unis where it would be more likely to be accepted. And where should I do my 4th choice I'm so confused right now.

I also think I did alot better in AS exams than GCSEs so I'm fairly confident with that. I'm aware that my GCSEs aren't that great so I can't apply to GCSE heavy medical schools.

Does Barts and St Georges even have a six year course? I know that Kings is a GCSE heavy medical school with regards to their A100 course but I'm not sure about their EMDP.
St Georges say Candidates require at least 416 points from their top eight subjects at GCSE, i.e. an average of grade A. (A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28). When calculating GCSE scores, candidates must include scores achieved in Maths, English Language, and Dual Award or Single Sciences. GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B. Resists are not accepted, except for GCSE English Language. If you meet that point score you should be fine for them. Maybe decide on your fourth choice after you've sat the UKCAT?
Original post by llessur123
I'm quite annoyed at myself at the minute. There is basically no point in me applying this year when I know I could have done really well. My personal statement is good, my UKCAT will be ok but my GCSEs aren't great and I was planning on making up for it with great AS grades. I got lazy towards the end of the year, did really well in my January modules which were all 90%+ then just messed up my June ones.

I'm probably going to come out with:

GCSEs: A*AAAAAABB
AS: ABCC
Predicted: A*AAB
UKCAT: 675+

It's just not enough. So frustrating because I could do better in UKCAT, better in AS with better predictions. Should I bother applying this year or just wait it out? I'm thinking Glasgow, St Georges, Newcastle and I'm not really sure about the last one. BSMS?

I'm just going to post this in a few places around the medicine forum to get some help, because it's just stressing me out now.

Have you taken your UKCAT yet? Your GCSEs are fine for most med schools. BSMS however is slightly risky - I applied there this year and the rejected me due to exam grades (3A* at GCSE with AAA at A-level in hand).
Original post by myyrh
Does Barts and St Georges even have a six year course? I know that Kings is a GCSE heavy medical school with regards to their A100 course but I'm not sure about their EMDP.
St Georges say Candidates require at least 416 points from their top eight subjects at GCSE, i.e. an average of grade A. (A* - 58, A - 52, B - 46, C - 40, D - 34, E - 28). When calculating GCSE scores, candidates must include scores achieved in Maths, English Language, and Dual Award or Single Sciences. GCSE English Language must be at least a grade B. Resists are not accepted, except for GCSE English Language. If you meet that point score you should be fine for them. Maybe decide on your fourth choice after you've sat the UKCAT?

Will kings be less strict in their 6 year course? I'm so worried... and st georges definately has one because it's in their prospectus, but it doesn't mention the 416 points thing in the 6 year course section. But does in the 5 year one. If short courses are counted then I have reached the 416 points cut-off but if they don't then I haven't.
Original post by Steerforth
Have you taken your UKCAT yet? Your GCSEs are fine for most med schools. BSMS however is slightly risky - I applied there this year and the rejected me due to exam grades (3A* at GCSE with AAA at A-level in hand).

Really? I was actually thinking of doing my 4th choice there. Which uni would it be easiest to get into if I had average GCSE grades but good AS grades?
Really? I was actually thinking of doing my 4th choice there. Which uni would it be easiest to get into if I had average GCSE grades but good AS grades?

As mentioned before on this post, BSMS' stance on GCSEs isn't set out in stone, but in general applicants have found that higher GCSE grades gives a better chance of getting an interview. Also, the did send a small amount of feedback as to why the rejected me pre interview, and grades were the reason they gave. Considering I had AAAb at A-level I suspect it was my GCSEs of 3A*5A3B that let med down. I don't think there is a cut-off for GCSE grades, as I have heard of many people get in with much lower GCSEs, but in my opinion it is a more risky option than the likes of Newcastle, Glasgow, Manchester etc (there are more) who have a basic low cut-off and then have a higher UKCAT cut-off score.
Original post by Steerforth

Not yet, but I'm hoping to get at least 675. Yeah I've heard that so I'm not so sure. I can't really think of anywhere else to apply for sure though :frown: I used to really like Barts and the London but I doubt I'll get a good enough prediction to pass their UCAS tariff cut off.
Reply 9230
Will kings be less strict in their 6 year course? I'm so worried... and st georges definately has one because it's in their prospectus, but it doesn't mention the 416 points thing in the 6 year course section. But does in the 5 year one. If short courses are counted then I have reached the 416 points cut-off but if they don't then I haven't.

I don't really know how EMDP applicants are selected so I can't say.
Pretty sure St Georges 6 year course is for mature students. It says this on their website
As stated above this course is designed to enable entry to medicine for students who do not have the academic qualifications usually required.
We cannot accept graduates or students who are still taking/have completed A Levels or the Advanced Diploma. Such candidates should apply for direct entry to either MBBS5 or MBBS4 as appropriate.
In addition to the universities steerforth mentioned, consider Durham, Exeter and Plymouth.
Original post by myyrh

Yes we (BL) do, it's called the Newham Doc Scheme.. it's not really well known though because it has a few strict requirements (eg Applicants who study and/or live in the borough of Newham MUST BE nominated by their school in order to be considered for this programme.)

That and there are only UP TO four places per year.. they don't have to take anyone on :redface:
The deadlines coming up for medicine applications and I'm really unsure which uni to go to. I'm considering Kings, Queen Mary and St georges and I'm gonna apply for the 6 year course in all of them. But could you please be honest with me about what are my chances of getting an interview from them, and whether there are some other unis where it would be more likely for me to be accepted? And where should I do my 4th choice? I'm so confused right now.

Are you looking for 6 year courses only? Southampton have a great 6 year course (BM6) but it has a few financial requirements as well:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?
Hi!

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 688. Is there anyone who might know which universities I would realistically be 'ok' to apply to for GEM?? Did anyone get through to interview with a score less than 700 (esp. KCL)?

VR 600
QR 720
AR 600
DA 830

I'd really appreciate help!

Thanks

Vee:redface:
Original post by confuzzledvee
Hi!

I just sat my UKCAT today and got 688. Is there anyone who might know which universities I would realistically be 'ok' to apply to for GEM?? Did anyone get through to interview with a score less than 700 (esp. KCL)?

VR 600
QR 720
AR 600
DA 830

I'd really appreciate help!

Thanks

Vee:redface:

Southampton ask for 2500 or above as a combined UKCAT score for BM4 and 5 so you would be okay there!
Original post by myyrh
I don't really know how EMDP applicants are selected so I can't say.
Pretty sure St Georges 6 year course is for mature students. It says this on their website
As stated above this course is designed to enable entry to medicine for students who do not have the academic qualifications usually required.
We cannot accept graduates or students who are still taking/have completed A Levels or the Advanced Diploma. Such candidates should apply for direct entry to either MBBS5 or MBBS4 as appropriate.
In addition to the universities steerforth mentioned, consider Durham, Exeter and Plymouth.

So I guess I can't apply there, the thing is I really wanted to go to uni whilst living at home (in London). But oh well, I can't exactly be picky with the grades I have. Thank you for the names, I'll be sure to consider them. :smile:
Does anyone know how imperial pick people for interviews?

Like what they look at mostly?
Reply 9237
Original post by Theafricanlegend
Does anyone know how imperial pick people for interviews?

Like what they look at mostly?

BMAT scores are the most important aspect when they select for interview.
Original post by myyrh
BMAT scores are the most important aspect when they select for interview.

You should be nominated for some kind of award.

Edit 1: Someone's jealous of myyrh... Literally why the hell would i get negged for this innocent post.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BethaneyJ
Southampton ask for 2500 or above as a combined UKCAT score for BM4 and 5 so you would be okay there!

Thanks BethaneyJ! What are my chances in London?

Latest

Trending

Trending